RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Where's the link to the RI board?

Makes me wonder if that RI "insider" knew nefarious things were going on at UNLV which is why he said he'd discuss at a later time.

It doesn't make any sense that a program and coach that hasn't had any recent success is getting a 5* post, a 4*pg, and now the JUCO POY...

How does CSP sign a top 25 recruiting class? Relationships, hard work, having a product the recruit is looking to buy. It doesn't make any sense to think the kid should play at ISU or nowhere else because if he DOESN'T choose ISU then there are shenanigans afoot.

He just wasn't that into us.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think just as interesting is how correct the Olive Garden busboy and UNLV forum insiders were in comments over a week old. They hit on the prediction that McCoy, Juiston, and a guard from another program would commit. Hell of a guess?
They've been saying that since they all visited UNLV. There's a lot more going on than anyone will ever know or be told.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The young man made his decision and good for him. However, I have figured out I just don't understand. Maybe it's just easier to make the NBA playing in the mountain west and knowing you have talent. I would just think the fan support, playing games during primetime on ESPN (I know...not a great day to toue EPSN), and proven recent results would give ISU the edge.

On to the guys that wanna be cyclones.

• Agree
Reactions: baagoe

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Exactly WHAT is/was important to SJ? You and others claim to know his mind and what is in his best interests - so other than fleshing out an ISU basketball roster that YOU enjoy, what is he missing out on by not going to ISU?

The kid made a decision that is personal to HIM. ISU wasn't the place for him and our program is in great shape regardless.

I love ISU but some of you seem to think we are the shining light on the hill that is the answer to every wayward basketball soul. We AIN'T all that. JS will play regulation big-boy basketball for a coaching staff he clicked with in a town that has lots to offer in TV markets that will let him showcase his skills nationwide.

Best of luck to him and I couldn't be more thrilled with existing (and evolving) recruits we have that chose to be part of CSP's program.

Some of us need to get over ourselves.

You could be right, nobody knows except for Juiston.

However, between UNLV, ISU, DePaul, Kansas, and Rhode Island, I could make a great case for him going to any of those schools EXCEPT for UNLV. That's why it raises eyebrows IMO.

Kansas- blue blood. great history. wins. great coach. great school. etc. etc.
ISU- very good program. coach spent the most time recruiting you and building relationship. wins. great school.
DePaul- connections with friend and coach. great school. plays out east a lot so family could attend a lot of games.
Rhode Island- good program. wins. closest to home of any. great school.

UNLV- loses. not a good program. who's the coach again? not a good school. but has the Vegas strip and probably pays their players.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Prohm is failing miserably in the transfer market so far. How can he get these high level high school kids but not any transfers? We are going to have down years while the kids develop if this is how spring recruiting is going forward.

The transfer market is so much more heavily contested now. Kansas has like 5 transfers now, and they are a blueblood.

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Exactly WHAT is/was important to SJ? You and others claim to know his mind and what is in his best interests - so other than fleshing out an ISU basketball roster that YOU enjoy, what is he missing out on by not going to ISU?

The kid made a decision that is personal to HIM. ISU wasn't the place for him and our program is in great shape regardless.

I love ISU but some of you seem to think we are the shining light on the hill that is the answer to every wayward basketball soul. We AIN'T all that. JS will play regulation big-boy basketball for a coaching staff he clicked with in a town that has lots to offer in TV markets that will let him showcase his skills nationwide.

Best of luck to him and I couldn't be more thrilled with existing (and evolving) recruits we have that chose to be part of CSP's program.

Some of us need to get over ourselves.
Nation wide TV markets? You forgot the jimlad.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Can't blame Prohm for trying his best but he's got some work to do now. Three scholarships left and the month of May is almost here.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Prohm is failing miserably in the transfer market so far. How can he get these high level high school kids but not any transfers? We are going to have down years while the kids develop if this is how spring recruiting is going forward.
Because it's a completely different kind of recruiting. Speed dating doesn't really favor the guy whose best attributes are honesty and loyalty.

Being a great evaluator and getting a head start doesn't exist in the transfer/spring recruiting market. And working the hardest doesn't translate as well either.

Fred didn't exactly grab many top spring free agents. He utilized prior tangible connections to ISU and discounted goods (two for ones and guys with previous issues)

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Wigginton
Jackson
Brown (Babb if Brown doesn't come here)
Young
Lard

Off the bench:
Beverly (if he comes here)
Long
Lewis
McNeill
Kasongo

That's still a tourney team

that's a bubble team IF Brown ends up here, without he (or Alstork...) its an NIT bubble team, w/o one of the grad transfer guards, who scores for that team? Jackson is the only guy back that is any kind of offensive threat, other than him, it'll be a ton of pressure on the freshman.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Frak and jim4

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
It only seems that way because there are 4 scholarships to fill. Getting Shayok was a big deal. If we get Brown, then that's 2 high level transfers.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Most of us on here still believed we were in good position with him. Still think when the Beverly visit turned up, it meant something was up then. Of course anyone that questioned or wondered was blasted on here. But most importantly.... thanks to Coach Prohm and staff for working hard to build a roster for 'next year' and good luck with the few weeks ahead!!

And for all the 'lighten up' replies I'll get for saying this....I still don't appreciate the Pollard Cyclone plane in Hutchinson tweet, regardless it being a joke and a Pollard trait we're supposed to know by now. To each his own, I guess.

Off topic somewhat, but I agree with you. I love JP, and don't want to lose him, but some of the stuff he does just boggles one's mind. Just dumb. This wasn't even a single bit funny at all. Why do it?

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Stereotype and jim4

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Because it's a completely different kind of recruiting. Speed dating doesn't really favor the guy whose best attributes are honesty and loyalty.

Being a great evaluator and getting a head start doesn't exist in the transfer/spring recruiting market. And working the hardest doesn't translate as well either.

Yes, and he's still re-building our foundation..... Wigginton, Lard, Lewis, Young, McNeill is a good start.

If we can add Brown and Beverly, we still should compete for a tourney spot.

Add Morrow and Shayok sitting out, plus a couple more top 100 kids next year and we're set up really well in 2018 and beyond.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
that's a bubble team IF Brown ends up here, without he (or Alstork...) its an NIT bubble team, w/o one of the grad transfer guards, who scores for that team? Jackson is the only guy back that is any kind of offensive threat, other than him, it'll be a ton of pressure on the freshman.

We know Jackson can shoot/score.

Wigginton will get buckets.

I hope Babb took about 5,000 shots per day this summer from three. He uncorked it a few times late last year. His brother shot 38% from 3PT his senior year -- he does that, we're good.

Lewis will get some buckets.

Hopefully Solomon's offensive game will continue to develop.

Lock down on defense even more.

Win some 60-57, not 70-68.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Seems like transfers are looking for things that a good guy like Prohm won't offer. Let's not kid ourselves, there is plenty of shady recruiting and booster involvement that benefit recruits that want extra cash and things they can't afford.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I'd honestly like to hear UNLV's recruiting pitch. Obviously they can't sell their basketball program, conference, or fanbase. What is it then? Parties? Nightlife? Or does David Copperfield just show up with a brown bag full of cash?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, whores, liquor, and more whores

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron