Recruits & Transfers

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
It was mentioned today on CycloneReport that Dillan Johnson is visiting this weekend for football. Also mentioned was "During his two days in Ames, Johnson will also take a look at Iowa State's wrestling program."

https://iowastate.rivals.com/news/p...march-31st-april-1st-unofficial-visit-weekend
Dillon Johnson will be visiting Michigan to check out their wrestling program per our friend Nick at Cyclone Alert. I think wrestlers can sign in November (please correct me if this isn't right), so Herrera is committed but not signed at this point, but I'd have no reason to think he won't be a Cyclone.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah and that has to go through compliance and have a “reasonable” monetary value placed on it from everything I’ve heard and read. So a kid can’t make $20k to promote and run a camp when they don’t have that value. They are able to use NIL right now for summer camps and clinics which I’ve heard some of the numbers they earn and it’s good for these kids.
I think that was the intent of the NIL and maybe even how it's supposed to be run now, but it isn't run that way everywhere. You have TX openly promoting $50K per year for every OL they sign. Caitlin Clark is rumored to be pulling in +$1M/yr. She is going to take a massive pay cut when she enters the WNBA. Are these "reasonable" values? Perhaps it's different when it's coming from an outside corp or "non-profit"...just speculating?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I think that was the intent of the NIL and maybe even how it's supposed to be run now, but it isn't run that way everywhere. You have TX openly promoting $50K per year for every OL they sign. Caitlin Clark is rumored to be pulling in +$1M/yr. She is going to take a massive pay cut when she enters the WNBA. Are these "reasonable" values? Perhaps it's different when it's coming from an outside corp or "non-profit"...just speculating?
That’s the thing. Football and basketball are revenue generating sports so they, with a good athletic department and attorneys, can make a case based on money they make from selling out stadiums and tv contracts and such. Wrestling has a harder time making a case for an egregious value, which is why I don’t think (and heard) most of these kids get as much as people think.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I would say in Caitlin's case whatever she is getting is worth it to their women's basketball program and heck even the athletic department for the amount of publicity they have received.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Since this one has become the catch-all for wrestling talk. I saw this.. I think Gable wants back into wrestling. He’s still so young and could easily wrestle through 2024.

Wonder what his WWE contract looks like, if he needs their ok to do other things

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Wonder what his WWE contract looks like, if he needs their ok to do other things
I’ll admit I don’t follow WWE…lol. But I haven’t seen anything about them promoting him yet as a big deal. So I would think more exposure again now as a WWE employee competing in the Olympics could only help?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I’ll admit I don’t follow WWE…lol. But I haven’t seen anything about them promoting him yet as a big deal. So I would think more exposure again now as a WWE employee competing in the Olympics could only help?
I did find this quote from 2021 when looking around
[Whether I wrestle in them – the 2024 Olympics] just depends how my contract goes,” answers Steveson. “I can’t say too much. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. That’s a longways away. It is three years, but I’m always ready. It all depends on my obligation with the WWE. After this year I’m 100% with the WWE. And if I re-sign, I’m 100% with them. I’m not the boss of the situation, so I can’t say.

• Informative
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG