Schroll done

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It's probably none of our business as to exactly why she felt the need to take a stand or whatever. Good luck to her. She was one of my favorite players the last 2 years.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'll say this...BF has done some great things at ISU. But when you see ISU consistantly pack a top 5 crowd in the nation in Hiltonyear in and year out it gets a little frustrating to see ISU struggle to put a top 25 team together. The fan support deserves a top 10-15 type program at the least...and we are just not seeing that.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Bill is entitled to run his program as he sees fits. That includes being a **** to his players from time to time. Short of cheating or embarrasment to the university I really could not care less.

It isn't about you.

Last edited by a moderator:

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I'll say this...BF has done some great things at ISU. But when you see ISU consistantly pack a top 5 crowd in the nation in Hiltonyear in and year out it gets a little frustrating to see ISU struggle to put a top 25 team together. The fan support deserves a top 10-15 type program at the least...and we are just not seeing that.

If attendance had any major affect on success, the national title (football) would be a battle between Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

From 1973 thru 1995, Iowa State had 1 season with 20 wins. Since Fennelly took over in '95, there have been 11, including each of the last 5 years. To go a little more in-depth, the Iowa State program had a whopping 5 winning seasons all-time before he took over. Fennelly is the reason for that top 5 attendance rating.

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Ranting on here is not going to change anybody's opinion. We all wanted Jess to stay and we'll terribly miss her, but "banging on your keyboard" while insulting her, BF, and other fans is probably not necessary...just saying. Does BF need to calm it down while on the court- yes, but we do not know her real reason of leaving. It could of been family issues, stress, etc. My final thing I have to say is I respect her decision, and that she'll be very missed. We'll miss her defense, her energy, and everything she brought to the team. I hope the team can recover from this and cream some *** in the Big 12.

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
First, let me speak from a point of experience. My father had cancer discovered in his lymph (primary site ended up being back of tonsels.) After multiple surgeries and radiation treatments he is well and cancer free. However, I know in his case he experienced changes in multiple ways. Some benign like foods tasting different (like some stuff you may not think is spicy, sets his mouth on fire,) but other changes more noticeable. His patience is pretty much gone. He is extremely irratible and grows extremely frustrated very quickly. He always could get this way but nowadays it takes far less for him to get there. I have talked with him about this thinking that his experience would teach him to not sweat the small stuff and appreciate just how precious life is, etc. He tells me it has been exactly the opposite. The littlest things that didn't bother him too much before can now push him over the edge. He can blow up at the most trivial things (my God you should ride in a car with him.)

Anyway, the point is - I'm confident there are medical reasons for this. And I'm confident that if Bill is getting any kind of similar treatments (radiation, medication, etc.) it is easily plausible that his temperment has changed noticeably. If true, I only hope he is able to control or overcome it before it causes major problems.

Second, my opinion based on everything I've read (including a very classy post by the parents) and having been a college athlete myself with doubts, personal problems in season, etc. I'm going to guess this is the likely scenario:

Schroll was having doubts, either in her ability, her desire, her will, whatever. She may have been experiencing something in her personal life too adding to the stress and perhaps making her question just how much she was willing to put up with or sacrifice for basketball at the D1 level. Given this seemingly fragile state, "the incident" occurred in front of a home crowd with Mom and Dad present. I'm thinking this was the breaking point. Additionally, I'm assuming Bill tried to make amends after the fact. He probably apologized, talked with the parents, etc. I would guess they all had a sit down and can easily see them all coming away thinking - Schroll had a choice to make. Stick it out, or leave and go somewhere else where she may be happier. I'm sure it was a tough decision for her and her folks. Either way I'm supportive of making a tough decision that only those involved will ever know the intricate details of. Wish her the best and thanks for your contributions to our ISU program.

As for BF - I hope he is able to remain well and overcome whatever effects his treatment/battle may be having on his ability to connect with players and coach effectively. Go Cyclones!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
First, let me speak from a point of experience. My father had cancer discovered in his lymph (primary site ended up being back of tonsels.) After multiple surgeries and radiation treatments he is well and cancer free. However, I know in his case he experienced changes in multiple ways. Some benign like foods tasting different (like some stuff you may not think is spicy, sets his mouth on fire,) but other changes more noticeable. His patience is pretty much gone. He is extremely irratible and grows extremely frustrated very quickly. He always could get this way but nowadays it takes far less for him to get there. I have talked with him about this thinking that his experience would teach him to not sweat the small stuff and appreciate just how precious life is, etc. He tells me it has been exactly the opposite. The littlest things that didn't bother him too much before can now push him over the edge. He can blow up at the most trivial things (my God you should ride in a car with him.)

Anyway, the point is - I'm confident there are medical reasons for this. And I'm confident that if Bill is getting any kind of similar treatments (radiation, medication, etc.) it is easily plausible that his temperment has changed noticeably. If true, I only hope he is able to control or overcome it before it causes major problems.

Second, my opinion based on everything I've read (including a very classy post by the parents) and having been a college athlete myself with doubts, personal problems in season, etc. I'm going to guess this is the likely scenario:

Schroll was having doubts, either in her ability, her desire, her will, whatever. She may have been experiencing something in her personal life too adding to the stress and perhaps making her question just how much she was willing to put up with or sacrifice for basketball at the D1 level. Given this seemingly fragile state, "the incident" occurred in front of a home crowd with Mom and Dad present. I'm thinking this was the breaking point. Additionally, I'm assuming Bill tried to make amends after the fact. He probably apologized, talked with the parents, etc. I would guess they all had a sit down and can easily see them all coming away thinking - Schroll had a choice to make. Stick it out, or leave and go somewhere else where she may be happier. I'm sure it was a tough decision for her and her folks. Either way I'm supportive of making a tough decision that only those involved will ever know the intricate details of. Wish her the best and thanks for your contributions to our ISU program.

As for BF - I hope he is able to remain well and overcome whatever effects his treatment/battle may be having on his ability to connect with players and coach effectively. Go Cyclones!

That could all be completely true. If it is, however, he should take a leave of absence. I don't want to hear that as an excuse from him.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
If attendance had any major affect on success, the national title (football) would be a battle between Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

From 1973 thru 1995, Iowa State had 1 season with 20 wins. Since Fennelly took over in '95, there have been 11, including each of the last 5 years. To go a little more in-depth, the Iowa State program had a whopping 5 winning seasons all-time before he took over. Fennelly is the reason for that top 5 attendance rating.

This ain't football...this is womans basketball. I would think a recruiting tool like "come to ISU and play in front of one of the largest womans basketball fanbases in the nation" would be pretty helpfull. Look, I'm not a WBB guy..I cheer for them, and I hope they do well but BF has a ton of things going for him at ISU and his teams always seem to underwelm me when I watch. At some point when does how bad we were before he got here start meaning a little less. ISU WBB sucked terribly before he got here.. no doubt. But the fanbase and administration has stepped up tremendously and BF's teams outside of a few season over the last decade or so pretty much only decent.

acqflisu

Apr 20, 2006
Davenport, Iowa
This ain't football...this is womans basketball. I would think a recruiting tool like "come to ISU and play in front of one of the largest womans basketball fanbases in the nation" would be pretty helpfull. Look, I'm not a WBB guy..I cheer for them, and I hope they do well but BF has a ton of things going for him at ISU and his teams always seem to underwelm me when I watch. At some point when does how bad we were before he got here start meaning a little less. ISU WBB sucked terribly before he got here.. no doubt. But the fanbase and administration has stepped up tremendously and BF's teams outside of a few season over the last decade or so pretty much only decent.

These posts surprise me... I would consider WBB to be one of our most successful sports when comparing actual performance vs. expectations.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

This is incredibly uninformed. We consistently make the ncaa tournament for cripes sakes and make an occasional long tournament run. You would **** your pants if that happened to our men's program.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Nothing good comes from family/friends posting on message boards. Nothing. This is a proven fact here and on countless other sites.

I wish Jessica luck and hope for improvements in every aspect for ISU WBB.

Cyclone-KG had the McDermott train rolling pretty good on this board for a couple of years.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
This ain't football...this is womans basketball. I would think a recruiting tool like "come to ISU and play in front of one of the largest womans basketball fanbases in the nation" would be pretty helpfull. Look, I'm not a WBB guy..I cheer for them, and I hope they do well but BF has a ton of things going for him at ISU and his teams always seem to underwelm me when I watch. At some point when does how bad we were before he got here start meaning a little less. ISU WBB sucked terribly before he got here.. no doubt. But the fanbase and administration has stepped up tremendously and BF's teams outside of a few season over the last decade or so pretty much only decent.[/QUOTE]

You really believe that isn't a recruiting tool in football? Because college football players are so shy and want to play in front of smaller crowds?

As for the bold, I guess that depends on what you consider "decent". If 27 wins and an Elite 8 run followed by 25 and a Sweet 16 run are decent, then yes, I'm on board with mediocrity. Or maybe you're upset because he had a "down" year last season and only got 22 wins?

The original point was that he has so many things going for him because he made them happen. Those attendance numbers didn't just magically appear. He was here 4-5 years and building a very good team before people started coming to watch. It hardly seems reasonable to use something he created as a reason to be rid of him.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't blame her for leaving. Life is too short. Best of luck to wherever she transfers to.

Bill can, and should, keep players responsible for their jobs on the court. The 'tough love' though should be kept to practice or the locker room. We don't want him to become another Bo Pelini.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
welcome to the site Jess...we'll miss you!!!

You should have checked out my profile before your stupid post. I am not ans have never been a member of her family but I am a fan of hers. But thanks to your stupid post at least her family set the record straight, but it would not matter to you as you were never a fan of WBB anyway.

HuskerClone

Mar 30, 2006
I thought Bill's comments in this morning's Register were interesting.

“We certainly wish her the best, and appreciate her time and effort."

“It doesn’t change a lot, really,â€￾ Fennelly said. “We’ve been playing Brynn a lot more.â€￾

I'm really having a lot of trouble with this. Jess always struck me as a Danae Stuckey type of player, maybe not the most talented but athletic, knows her role, plays hard all the time, not demanding of attention, a real teammate in the full sense of that word. They seemed to me to epitomize what Bill continually talks about "playing the Iowa State way." Now I'm not sure anymore what exactly "the Iowa State way" is.

We all make dumb mistakes, all of us, including Bill. I'm wondering when someone will get him out on the floor and get up in his face. Many of the posters are right, tough love is necessary but you do it right. Tough love does not mean public humiliation.

Going to miss Jess, I always enjoyed watching her play. I think Bill is wrong, I think her leaving will change things a lot. It might be for the better but if that happens it will be because she left, not because she's gone.