Shakur Juiston on njcaatv.com tonight

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We have such a passionate fan base and a great home venue. Despite that we seem to never really get all the pieces we need for a deep run. Don't get me wrong, we get players, but there is always a missing piece. I felt our 2014 team had enough to get to the final 4, but freakin Niang got hurt. That was our best chance since 2000.

We've had the pieces. The key is having the pieces consistently or often, because bad luck or a poor outing will get you more often than not.

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Do I really have to explain myself or are you intelligent enough to figure it out?

I'm with 07 on this one. I'm not sure what was expected in his recruitment but I'm not surprised by the UNLV visit, we're still considered one of the leaders with KU and the Bragg thing was expected so I guess I'm not sure what has gone off script

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm with 07 on this one. I'm not sure what was expected in his recruitment but I'm not surprised by the UNLV visit, we're still considered one of the leaders with KU and the Bragg thing was expected so I guess I'm not sure what has gone off script on his recruitment

I would have never expected him to visit UNLV. Why? Because they aren't of the caliber of many of the other schools that have offered him. As a Juco, you want to go somewhere you'll play right away and get a lot of minutes. If you're considered to be the top Juco in the country, you're going to get minutes wherever it is you go. So, visiting UNLV doesn't "make sense" in that they are terrible. But, reverting back to my earlier comments, recruiting doesn't follow a simple path.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We've had the pieces. The key is having the pieces consistently or often, because bad luck or a poor outing will get you more often than not.
That kind of tells you we haven't had the pieces.

Imo we've had the pieces to have an outside chance

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would have never expected him to visit UNLV. Why? Because they aren't of the caliber of many of the other schools that have offered him. As a Juco, you want to go somewhere you'll play right away and get a lot of minutes. If you're considered to be the top Juco in the country, you're going to get minutes wherever it is you go. So, visiting UNLV doesn't "make sense" in that they are terrible. But, reverting back to my earlier comments, recruiting doesn't follow a simple path.

Meh. UNLV ALWAYS has players. No idea how they do so poorly with them year after year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I'm not surprised by it. UNLV was on his final list and he's mentioned having a good relationship with them before. I figured he'd take multiple visits so UNLV doesn't surprise me any more than Rhode Island, Oklahoma, etc.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
That kind of tells you haven't had the pieces.

Imo we've had the pieces to have an outside chance

Disagree completely. I've seen fantastic teams go out in the first round, time after time. Or the second round. Or third. It happens. The difference is getting there a lot with the tools to make something happen. That's what separates the elite programs from the rest.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Disagree completely. I've seen fantastic teams go out in the first round, time after time. Or the second round. Or third. It happens. The difference is getting there a lot with the tools to make something happen. That's what separates the elite programs from the rest.
These aren't really mutually exclusive takes.
Tons of teams consistently "get there", few have the pieces to consistently be a real threat or have good odds. There is a lot of luck and variability, but the teams that go far have the pieces to overcome. It's not an accident that the teams find in the FF are often the more talented ones. The outcomes are binary but the odds are not.

IllinoisClone

Feb 1, 2017
The visit to UNLV makes PERFECT sense. If you're Juiston and you know that KU and ISU are the 2 schools you're picking from and someone from UNLV calls and says "hey would you like to come spend the weekend in Vegas instead of staying in Hutchinson?" what are you going to do? I don't know of many 20(?) yr old kids who would turn that down. It doesn't mean a thing that he's visiting there.

Reactions: CyKings

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS

That's what everyone thought with Rashad Vaughn too... but he wound up at UNLV.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I tend to agree. It's probably between us and KU IMO
Fingers crossed we get the visit before KU.

Imo we, and teams like us, are the reason Self is looking for a quick-twitch four to play behind his bigger posts. Does Juiston want to be Self's guy off the bench as needed to counter a mismatch, or come to ISU and be the mismatch?

Reactions: cymac2408

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Fingers crossed we get the visit before KU.

Imo we, and teams like us, are the reason Self is looking for a quick-twitch four to play behind his bigger posts. Does Juiston want to be Self's guy off the bench as needed to counter a mismatch, or come to ISU and be the mismatch?

They will be selling him on the chance to come in and start.