Show

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's the thing though, it's not even really a "negative" about ISU. It's just shows he's ignorant on the subject and maybe is getting it mixed up a bit with the story of Purdy's salary. Some are acting like he took a personal shot at Tyrese.

It’s just weird that your job is a sports show but they don’t seem to know anything or even be interested in sports. That whole station feels like a bit.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It’s just weird that your job is a sports show but they don’t seem to know anything or even be interested in sports. That whole station feels like a bit.
Pretty much all the local shows beside Miller and Condon are that way. If it's not local sports most of them are past their ski tips. It's not a market that is real heavy into pro sports, so I can see why they lean into the "sports and more" angle. It works for them in this market. If you are a diehard sports fan there are a lot of better options.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Jeez, it's an ignorant comment but pretty benign. Relax guys. He also had Bill Fennelly on today to talk about the game tonight and talked about how Bill is his favorite coach to talk to in the state. And no, the conversation was not all about Clark. Mostly about ISU and its players. Chill out.
I feel like he says the same thing about Farley as well though.

I don't hate Ross but I think he's probably similar to Heather where they're busy doing other things and probably don't do much research on sports.
I don't know how any local sports person could have missed Tyrese's contract extension. Like, I seriously don't know how that's possible if you're on the radio/tv/social media.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I feel like he says the same thing about Farley as well though.

I don't hate Ross but I think he's probably similar to Heather where they're busy doing other things and probably don't do much research on sports.
I don't know how any local sports person could have missed Tyrese's contract extension. Like, I seriously don't know how that's possible if you're on the radio/tv/social media.
Maybe not missed, but merely just didn't remember. I had honestly forgotten he signed the extension until it was brought up here. Also, if it was an off the cuff topic, not a planned one, he may not have done much research prior to the show.

Frankly though, his take was simply echoing what I heard on the national shows yesterday. And I thought it was a lazy take by the national guys. I get that some of these players make a lot, but 500K is still nothing to sneeze at, especially for some of the down the bench guys.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe not missed, but merely just didn't remember. I had honestly forgotten he signed the extension until it was brought up here. Also, if it was an off the cuff topic, not a planned one, he may not have done much research prior to the show.

Frankly though, his take was simply echoing what I heard on the national shows yesterday. And I thought it was a lazy take by the national guys. I get that some of these players make a lot, but 500K is still nothing to sneeze, especially for some of the down the bench guys.

So was the whole take that no one cares about the in-season tournament because it’s “only 500k”? You can tell who watches the games or who follows basketball culture at all if that is the case.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I just view them as an extension of the Hawk AD’s sports information crew.

They know so little about sports besides being a Hawk mouthpiece. And they don’t cover anything negative about the Hawks. Had to rely on national media to hear about KF racism scandals. However the nothingness of bandgate went on for two months.

Summers are filled with drivel that is completely unrelated to sports. The crap of a call-in show they put out there with Heather and intermittent Whitver shows the level of commitment they have to ISU.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I just view them as an extension of the Hawk AD’s sports information crew.

They know so little about sports besides being a Hawk mouthpiece. And they don’t cover anything negative about the Hawks. Had to rely on national media to hear about KF racism scandals. However the nothingness of bandgate went on for two months.
And don't forget the time where Iowa State fans nearly murdered Randy Peterson when they stormed to court at Hilton.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I about want to jump off a cliff when they start down the NIL rabbit hole. I don't care about it that much anyway and when they begin that talk you know it's bound to last an hour +....

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Tuned in for a bit, the morning after the second biggest in-state rivalry game of the year, and we're talking......harmonicas. Great stuff from our local "sports" station and the tavern Hawk trolls that run it.
This is why I turned off local sports radio about 10 years ago. Too much off topic stuff. Seems like they are trying to be the listeners “friend” and make us laugh. Just talk sports.

National sports talk is so much better, even if they don’t talk about our teams.

Also— I think other regions local sports talk is so much better. Drove back through rural(ish) Wisconsin from Packers game on Monday, could have tuned in to about 5 different stations that were nothing but Packers and Sports talk the ENTIRE time. Local stations, not syndicated national stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy83ag

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Tuned in for a bit, the morning after the second biggest in-state rivalry game of the year, and we're talking......harmonicas. Great stuff from our local "sports" station and the tavern Hawk trolls that run it.
They were talking about it when I drove into work at around 6:10. Very complimentary of Iowa State and saying that they had a tough, tough schedule ahead but they looked capable of playing with the top teams in the Big 12.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
They were talking about it when I drove into work at around 6:10. Very complimentary of Iowa State and saying that they had a tough, tough schedule ahead but they looked capable of playing with the top teams in the Big 12.
Yeah, I figured they probably talked about the game off the top of the show, but I tuned in at about 6:45 and figured they'd still have some meat on the bone to pick at from last night but whatever. Sometimes callers drive them off topic but Ross and their producer let those tangents run way too long.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
They chase a lot of squirrels. Travis talking the blues jazz scene in Italy, now Seattle's backup quarterback going to the Jets. Just realized they on air that he is a nephew to Mark Rypien.

I wouldn't want to talk about hawkeye basketball either to be fair

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, I figured they probably talked about the game off the top of the show, but I tuned in at about 6:45 and figured they'd still have some meat on the bone to pick at from last night but whatever. Sometimes callers drive them off topic but Ross and their producer let those tangents run way too long.
Yeah, they do spend a whole lot of time talking about nothing, which becomes pretty apparent when there's actually something to talk about.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is why I turned off local sports radio about 10 years ago. Too much off topic stuff. Seems like they are trying to be the listeners “friend” and make us laugh. Just talk sports.

National sports talk is so much better, even if they don’t talk about our teams.

Also— I think other regions local sports talk is so much better. Drove back through rural(ish) Wisconsin from Packers game on Monday, could have tuned in to about 5 different stations that were nothing but Packers and Sports talk the ENTIRE time. Local stations, not syndicated national stuff.

I actually like how the Morning Rush and Murph and Andy shows cover random topics on top of sports. With that being said, there's a time for that and don't sweep local content to the side for it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I actually like how the Morning Rush and Murph and Andy shows cover random topics on top of sports. With that being said, there's a time for that and don't sweep local content to the side for it.

Murph and Andy have an ability to make their dialogue sound nature and conversational. Travis and Ross are just so forced. There's a huge difference between trying to sound edgy and funny and actually being edgy and funny.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
it was the same way 2 years ago. TJ gets his first CyHawk win and the morning show spent 10 mins on it in hour 1. In hour 2 someone called in and asked if they would talk about the game and they responded with, we talked about it in hour 1 and sounded really annoyed. They circled back and recapped it for 5mins. Idk why they act like they are a sports show when they seem they would rather talk about anything but sports. Pretty much gave up on listening to their podcasts as an out of stater.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
it was the same way 2 years ago. TJ gets his first CyHawk win and the morning show spent 10 mins on it in hour 1. In hour 2 someone called in and asked if they would talk about the game and they responded with, we talked about it in hour 1 and sounded really annoyed. They circled back and recapped it for 5mins. Idk why they act like they are a sports show when they seem they would rather talk about anything but sports. Pretty much gave up on listening to their podcasts as an out of stater.
They love to bury ISU news in hour 1. They check the box of having talked about it when presumably the listenership is lower, then promote the hour one pod during hour 2 if you missed anything. They save all the good stuff like Iowa talk, Travis' trip to Italy, and other inane stuff for hour 2.