Someone say the silent part out loud for me

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
what media is running with this? All I have seen are racists bit on social media sites like Twitter, and Iowa message board?
Ryan Clark, Jalen Rose, Emmanuel Acho, Jay Williams (just to name a few) have all publicly stated it is a racial double standard.

Reactions: carvers4math

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Why would the NCAA want to intentionally screw the biggest star in WBB out of winning a championship? I keep seeing people say(not all Hawk fans) that the game was not reffed fairly towards both ends and that "you know why" they wouldn't want Clark to be a national champion, which is why the game was fixed for LSU.

But I actually do not know why. At all. I'm beyond confused. Someone help.
Some Hawk fans are still crying about Clark's technical. Ticky tack? Maybe. But it's in the rules...maybe don't be a baby and toss the ball when you've cut the lead to 7.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Ryan Clark, Jalen Rose, Emmanuel Acho, Jay Williams (just to name a few) have all publicly stated it is a racial double standard.
That was a separate and different part of this. But I know... keep going.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Refs were awful all the way around, didn't really affect one team more than the other IMO. Except maybe for that 'T'. That was ridiculous.
Why was the T ridiculous? She chucked the ball and knew she shouldn’t have done it, which is why she glanced at the ref twice before that same ref T’d her up

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Most Iowa fans aren’t blaming the refs for the loss.

I live between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. Most of my Facebook and Twitter is full of blame for refs. Most of my co-workers are pretty reasonable and intelligent Iowa fans. Every single one of them has blamed the refs.

If the shoe was on the other foot there would be a ton of ISU fans doing the exact same thing. If your team was one game away from a national title, anything that is perceived to tilt against you will be blown out of proportion because the game matters that much.

That being said, the better team won yesterday regardless of officiating. Clark is an amazing talent. It's hard to win championships at this level when you rely on one player to basically carry the load in every major statistical category every night. Clark is so good, she about did it. In the end, LSU had more depth and more talent across the board than Iowa and that won the game. Say what you want about that lunatic Mulkey, but she actually made moves and coached against Bluder. South Carolina's coach stubbornly changed nothing.

Reactions: keepngoal

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Blaming the refs after you lost by 17 is some next level copium.
It's happened here, and we'd be livid about the refs if we were in their shoes from yesterday.

That doesn't excuse the awful, blatant racism that was firing off over there, but we aren't exactly in position to criticize them for whining about the calls.

• Agree
Reactions: tm3308 and 7Got6

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I live between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. Most of my Facebook and Twitter is full of blame for refs. Most of my co-workers are pretty reasonable and intelligent Iowa fans. Every single one of them has blamed the refs.

If the shoe was on the other foot there would be a ton of ISU fans doing the exact same thing. If your team was one game away from a national title, anything that is perceived to tilt against you will be blown out of proportion because the game matters that much.

That being said, the better team won yesterday regardless of officiating. Clark is an amazing talent. It's hard to win championships at this level when you rely on one player to basically carry the load in every major statistical category every night. Clark is so good, she about did it. In the end, LSU had more depth and more talent across the board than Iowa and that won the game. Say what you want about that lunatic Mulkey, but she actually made moves and coached against Bluder. South Carolina's coach stubbornly changed nothing.
Obviously, I can’t speak to the first paragraph since that’s your personal experience but I definitely agree with the rest.

LSU was clearly the better team yesterday, but in a best-of-seven I think it would come down to a game seven. They hit a lot of contested jumpers, and nobody is beating a more athletic team when they’re hitting jumpers at that rate.

I also agree that Mulkey outcoached Bluder yesterday. Although that’s a little hard to say just because her team was shooting so well. It’s easy to look like a coaching genius when your teams hitting all the shots ha.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Why was the T ridiculous? She chucked the ball and knew she shouldn’t have done it, which is why she glanced at the ref twice before that same ref T’d her up
You throw the ball off the court, you risk a technical. You wouldn't normally expect it to be called in the title game. So it makes you wonder if some prior things happened or were said that made this act of defiance the final step over the line.

EDIT: Someone posted in another thread that it was the second time Iowa caused a delay of game. They had knocked the ball into the fans after a made basket and got warned earlier in the game. So Clark tossing the ball out of bounds was the 2nd delay of game, thus the technical. Mystery solved!

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You throw the ball off the court, you risk a technical. You wouldn't normally expect it to be called in the title game. So it makes you wonder if some prior things happened or were said that made this act of defiance the final step over the line.
If the refs are going strictly letter-of-the-law to apply that T then they need to be consistent and go strict letter-of-the-law with other violations that deserve a T. Pulling out a rulebook reference to justify one while you ignore an equally, if not more egregious violation of the rules and don't call the other is the problem.

Reactions: 7Got6

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If the refs are going strictly letter-of-the-law to apply that T then they need to be consistent and go strict letter-of-the-law with other violations that deserve a T. Pulling out a rulebook reference to justify one while you ignore an equally, if not more egregious violation of the rules and don't call the other is the problem.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease rightly or wrongly.

Reactions: keepngoal

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I edited my post from above. Turns out there was more to it.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Obviously, I can’t speak to the first paragraph since that’s your personal experience but I definitely agree with the rest.

LSU was clearly the better team yesterday, but in a best-of-seven I think it would come down to a game seven. They hit a lot of contested jumpers, and nobody is beating a more athletic team when they’re hitting jumpers at that rate.

I also agree that Mulkey outcoached Bluder yesterday. Although that’s a little hard to say just because her team was shooting so well. It’s easy to look like a coaching genius when your teams hitting all the shots ha.

I tend to not dwell in the fringes of fandom. Irrationally dumb takes are things I usually try to avoid no matter which fanbase we're talking about. Of course you can't avoid it all and at times it's fun for me to read just how delusional some fans are. That being said, I feel like I have a pretty good cross section of rational Iowa fans in my circle and I'm pretty sure all of them have blamed the refs. Obviously that's not a big enough sample to have a sweeping generalization, but it is a bit out of character for the Hawk fans I talk to regularly. I get the anger and frustration though. I'd be pissed too if ISU was that close to a natty and I probably would handle it just like they are.

To your other points, I was actually more impressed with LSU defensively than offensively. They shot a ridiculous percentage yesterday. Some of that was exploiting their advantages over Iowa, some of it was taking advantage of Iowa's defensive strategy, and some of it was straight up luck. I'm not sure LSU ran any plays in the 4th quarter either. Their point guard just dribbled until 10 seconds, drove to 15 feet, and drained a jumper like no one was guarding her. Possession after possession. No passing. No movement.

What LSU did so much better than South Carolina is defend the pick and roll. Clark lived in the lane on Friday and it seemed like South Carolina learned nothing throughout the game. They didn't have the speed to keep up with Clark or whoever was rolling and it was a layup fest. The minute they tried to defend the lane, Clark had too much space and drained threes. LSU basically neutralized the pick and roll game and forced Clark into contested threes. 19 of her 22 attempts against LSU were threes compared to 17 of her 31 against South Carolina. That's a massive difference for so many reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks