Star Trek Universe Thread

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
So we broke down and got Paramount+. We are two episodes into Picard. Seems pretty good so far. Not sure what order we're supposed to watch stuff in, does it matter?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So we broke down and got Paramount+. We are two episodes into Picard. Seems pretty good so far. Not sure what order we're supposed to watch stuff in, does it matter?

Picard is kind of it's own spin-off. I think that and Lower Decks take place in roughly the same time period.

Discovery and Strange New Worlds are the ones that you probably need to be aware of, since the characters in SNW are introduced in S2 of Discovery.

Edit: I think Picard may be the weakest Star Trek series on Paramount+. S2 of Picard was ROUGH. The first episode of S2 was amazing but then it completely went off the rails. I'm only 2 episodes in to S3 and it is a big improvement from S2. Just wanted to make you aware that if you haven't given the other Star Trek series a shot yet that they are much better than Picard.

Last edited:
Reactions: mapnerd

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Picard is kind of it's own spin-off. I think that and Lower Decks take place in roughly the same time period.

Discovery and Strange New Worlds are the ones that you probably need to be aware of, since the characters in SNW are introduced in S2 of Discovery.

Edit: I think Picard may be the weakest Star Trek series on Paramount+. S2 of Picard was ROUGH. The first episode of S2 was amazing but then it completely went off the rails. I'm only 2 episodes in to S3 and it is a big improvement from S2. Just wanted to make you aware that if you haven't given the other Star Trek series a shot yet that they are much better than Picard.
Picard S1 was decent, S2 was not great, and S3 was spectacular

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Picard S1 was decent, S2 was not great, and S3 was spectacular
I have two episodes left in Picard season 3. Agree with this rating 100%. I could barely watch season 2 at times. Just terrible writing and seems like a pointless story looking back from season 3. Excited to finish season 3 in the next couple of days!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Picard is like the next TNG movie or two. That’s how I view it and good enough for that.

I’d actually try lower decks next if you’re a huge fan and like animation for all the references and the guest appearances on SNW will mean something.

Reactions: mapnerd

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I love Mount in SNW. He's so good in that role. As far as series go, I did like the last season of Picard for nostalgia's sake, but SNW is really, really good. Like the best since TNG and I thought Discovery was close.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I love Mount in SNW. He's so good in that role. As far as series go, I did like the last season of Picard for nostalgia's sake, but SNW is really, really good. Like the best since TNG and I thought Discovery was close.
Funny you say that. My brother keeps telling me to watch these Star Trek shows. I watched the first two seasons of Discovery and was pretty lukewarm about it (what the hell did they do to the Klingons?). He said just get through those two seasons then watch Strange New Worlds because that is a great show. Then watch Picard and Lower Decks. I haven’t. Seems daunting to me, but you all are telling me I should.

Reactions: Triggermv

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Funny you say that. My brother keeps telling me to watch these Star Trek shows. I watched the first two seasons of Discovery and was pretty lukewarm about it (what the hell did they do to the Klingons?). He said just get through those two seasons then watch Strange New Worlds because that is a great show. Then watch Picard and Lower Decks. I haven’t. Seems daunting to me, but you all are telling me I should.

I’ve not seen lower decks and don’t plan on it. Picard and Discovery were both good, but they’re not SNW. That one is better than anything they’ve done since TNG. It’s basically a prequel to the original ST with Kirk.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I’ve not seen lower decks and don’t plan on it. Picard and Discovery were both good, but they’re not SNW. That one is better than anything they’ve done since TNG. It’s basically a prequel to the original ST with Kirk.
If youve ever made Trek jokes with your friends or family, watch Lower Decks. Its really a ton of fun. But you kind of have to be a pretty big fan in the first place to get all the little inside references.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Plus the format of SNW is less serialized and more week-to-week adventures like old school Trek. It is definately the throwback series.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just channel flipped into the 1989 Next Generation episode "The Emissary". Relatively unknown actress Suzie Plakson turns in one of the best guest appearances of any Star Trek actress. She's just outstanding as the half Klingon love interest of Worf. Probably my fav guest character.

69d103889da72694187ef267d8491537.jpg

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just channel flipped into the 1989 Next Generation episode "The Emissary". Relatively unknown actress Suzie Plakson turns in one of the best guest appearances of any Star Trek actress. She's just outstanding as the half Klingon love interest of Worf. Probably my fav guest character.

69d103889da72694187ef267d8491537.jpg

Yes, loved her character

its a shame she was killed off in her next appearance

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm and CloneIce