Tim Floyd

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Would you be willing to bring him back? I know his baggage is heavy, but right now I would love a competitive basketball team.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I don't think he really wanted to be here all that much. ISU begged him to come here and he complained about how hard it was to win at Iowa State after he left.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I don't think he really wanted to be here all that much. ISU begged him to come here and he complained about how hard it was to win at Iowa State after he left.

and yet his recommendation to replace him cut the nets down twice in a row...and may have been the best team in the country outside of Auburn Hills, MI.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I get HE probably wouldn't want to come back here, but I have no idea why as a fanbase we wouldn't want him back. I get people on this board try and preach "integrity" and "doing things the right way" but all that does is get us 10th in the Big 12. People need to wake up and realize that if we really want to win, we must hire somebody that does what it takes.

Reactions: GoCubsGo

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
He did the best coaching/recruiting at Iowa State of his career, but that's been over a decade ago. He's well past his prime.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Betcha he missed ISU when he would walk out for the games at USC and see the place half-filled, even for the big ones. That's kinda hard on the ego, no matter what your paycheck...

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Yes, well maybe. The baggage is not what ISU is about.

I am admittedly biased, he was here when I started school and really began to follow/understand BBall. Had my favorite team(s) to watch.

I really think he is one of the better college coaches of this era. IF he stayed here, (or at one school) he would of built a dynasty.

I guess I don't know if I would take him back, but I wish he never would of left.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Well, we may have a couple great years, followed by sanctions. I don't know, but I would rather field a clean .500 team than a top 10 team that is dirty. That's just me though.

Having said that, I would be in favor of bringing Eustachy back. I, for one, didn't really think he should have been fired in the first place.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
He did the best coaching/recruiting at Iowa State of his career, but that's been over a decade ago. He's well past his prime.

Still think he is better than what we got now. Plus USC was far better than ISU when Floyd was there.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Well, we may have a couple great years, followed by sanctions. I don't know, but I would rather field a clean .500 team than a top 10 team that is dirty. That's just me though.

Having said that, I would be in favor of bringing Eustachy back. I, for one, didn't really think he should have been fired in the first place.

You think Memphis or KU thinks this?

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Still think he is better than what we got now. Plus USC was far better than ISU when Floyd was there.

Were they? Maybe overall, but Floyd built something big in Ames. He took ISU to a sweet 16, and I give him majority credit for building the teams that Eustachy won 2 Big 12 titles with and an elite 8 in the tourney. That is remarkable, and I'd argue it's a feat he has not equaled since.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I'm sorry, what I meant to say is that USC when Floyd was there was better than ISU the last couple of years. That is why I want him back, is because he can win here.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
While he was here, Floyd's program was clean. Our grades/graduation since hasn't been much if any better.

No, running non-contributors off scholarships is not dirty in my book.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You think Memphis or KU thinks this?

Don't know, don't care. I don't want a bunch of **** going on in our program. We have great leading all of our other sports. I like that. I like having that reputation.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I really think he is one of the better college coaches of this era. IF he stayed here, (or at one school) he would of built a dynasty.

I don't think so. Floyd jumped jobs every 4-6 years for his entire career for a reason. His recruiting and running players off to recruit over them got us into the NCAA's but it also started us on the road that led to a 6% graduation rate at one point and loss of scholarships...after he was gone. His recruiting got USC into the NCAA's but also led to the NCAA investigation and their self imposed postseason ban and scholarship loss....after he was gone. Floyd's methods can build a great team for a year or two. They can't build a dynasty.

If you want to have a 20+ win team right away and don't care what price you have to pay later, Tim Floyd is your man. If you want to build a dynasty that will last for years, he is not.