Top dorms at ISU

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
^ How does Seasons compare to the UDCC?

Seasons has slightly better food in my opinion. Layout is a thousand time better and less crowded! Conversations which is right by seasons is the best food on campus...selection is lower but if you check the menu you will be fine.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I also lived on Cessna, Al. 2005 school year.

Just after me.

Did you know Joe, the sophomore who lived at the end of the hall? He's one of my best friends. He stayed in the dorms the year after the rest of us moved off campus and got a single in the same room he had lived the year before.

I would stop by Cessna and have a few beers on my way to Poli Sci 319 that fall. My brother also lived on Greene (2nd floor) that year too. They were always getting in trouble down there.

Seasons has slightly better food in my opinion. Layout is a thousand time better and less crowded! Conversations which is right by seasons is the best food on campus...selection is lower but if you check the menu you will be fine.

It always seemd to me that the food at the old MWL dining hall was the exact same stuff they served at UDCC, just with much less selection and a crappier looking dining area.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
^ Name rings a bell. I think I saw you around a few times, knew of you but hadn't ever really met you. Did you know Audrey?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
It always seemd to me that the food at the old MWL dining hall was the exact same stuff they served at UDCC, just with much less selection and a crappier looking dining area.

But at least we got our Ice Cream machine!! Our group would have "Cone offs" after every meal where one person had the chocolate and the other vanilla to see who could stack their cone the highest before it collapsed. Would've been great preparation for anyone going on to a career of serving Clone Cones.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
^ Name rings a bell. I think I saw you around a few times, knew of you but hadn't ever really met you. Did you know Audrey?

I definitely "knew" Audrey.

RayShimley said:
But at least we got our Ice Cream machine!! Our group would have "Cone offs" after every meal where one person had the chocolate and the other vanilla to see who could stack their cone the highest before it collapsed. Would've been great preparation for anyone going on to a career of serving Clone Cones.

I always liked to layer vanilla/chocolate/vanilla on my ice cream cones there.

Several days after the '04 Iowa game, Brian Jansen was waiting behind me in the cone line and goes to some other football player "JESUS. How hard is it to make an ice cream cone?" I responded "about as hard as kicking a 30 yard field goal". His football buddy just about died laughing.

Last edited:

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Larch and Willow were pretty much a co-ed animal house when I was there. Pretty much every floor in both of those buildings was wild. It was an absolute blast.

Something about those concrete walls that just makes 18/19 year olds go freaking crazy. Plus, you're very close to JTS and Hilton.

This.

My body still suffers many years removed from above. Good times.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I'd recommend the BWR area of Old RCA. Good location, quintessential college look and feel inside (less hotel like thanNew RCA, new Eaton, etc). Girls are nearby but I think it is better to not go for coed dorms...when girls live down the hall the guys can't help but always be "trying to impress" and there is less dorm camaraderie, at least in my observations and memories.

Unsolicited advice, don't leave for apartment too soon. Stay at least 2 years in dorms.

BWR was a great experience. I lived on Birch Stevenson for 2 years and it was a blast. It was a pretty long haul from my dorm room to Town Engineering (20-30 minute walk), but it was worth it.

AGSKOOL

Nov 15, 2011
Ames, IA
I lived in Willow. It was a blast! There was always someone with their door open and there was always something to do. But in all honesty it really depends on who you live with.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I only saw negative comments about helser while flipping through this, so I'm gonna give some love. Lived there last year (freshman year). It wasn't as bad as advertised really. Pretty much the same as friley minus ac, which really only factors in for the first month of the year in august. Especially if you're engineering, I'd take helser over anything else not in the union drive area. Definitely not martin or eaton, unless you want to only be friends with your roommates. Very closed off feeling in those dorms, imo.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Helser gets a lot of grief, and rightfully so. I woudn't recommend living there; frankly, I can't believe it's still around. When I was there '98-'99 it was mostly engineers which did not cater to the partying crowd (me).

However, I was fortunate enough to live on a floor dedicated to design students (read: party crowd). It was co-ed and booze was allowed (not if you were under 21, but the rules were hardly enforced unless you were being a complete *******). I loved it and if I had to do it over again I'd choose the same path. But I don't think that most of the people who lived in Helser would probably agree.

Edit: and there was a design studio in the basement that we all had the code for where you could get some quiet time for studying without having to leave the building.

Cyclonetbone

Dec 12, 2011
cough... is Helser still an option lol. Helser Louden Alum here, kicked us all out so they could tear the building down only to put a bunch of foreigners in there the next year. Shame really, I bet it stank in there after that mayonnaise filled turkey was left in the elevator shaft by my neighbors. Only perk that was ever with Helser were the girls in Carpenter... niiiice.

C

CyBer

cough... is Helser still an option lol. Helser Louden Alum here, kicked us all out so they could tear the building down only to put a bunch of foreigners in there the next year. Shame really, I bet it stank in there after that mayonnaise filled turkey was left in the elevator shaft by my neighbors. Only perk that was ever with Helser were the girls in Carpenter... niiiice.

Yeah! Another Helser alum, from firkins myself.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Helser gets a lot of grief, and rightfully so. I woudn't recommend living there; frankly, I can't believe it's still around. When I was there '98-'99 it was mostly engineers which did not cater to the partying crowd (me).

However, I was fortunate enough to live on a floor dedicated to design students (read: party crowd). It was co-ed and booze was allowed (not if you were under 21, but the rules were hardly enforced unless you were being a complete *******). I loved it and if I had to do it over again I'd choose the same path. But I don't think that most of the people who lived in Helser would probably agree.

Edit: and there was a design studio in the basement that we all had the code for where you could get some quiet time for studying without having to leave the building.

This could not be any more false. Engineering, helser alum, here. Things clearly have changed since then.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I had a class in a Helser computer lab.

The hallways always smelled burnt, rotting processed cheese product, mixed with a little cinnamon.

I'm blaming you.