Top dorms at ISU

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Helser gets a lot of grief, and rightfully so. I woudn't recommend living there; frankly, I can't believe it's still around. When I was there '98-'99 it was mostly engineers which did not cater to the partying crowd (me).

However, I was fortunate enough to live on a floor dedicated to design students (read: party crowd). It was co-ed and booze was allowed (not if you were under 21, but the rules were hardly enforced unless you were being a complete *******). I loved it and if I had to do it over again I'd choose the same path. But I don't think that most of the people who lived in Helser would probably agree.

Edit: and there was a design studio in the basement that we all had the code for where you could get some quiet time for studying without having to leave the building.

This could not be any more false. Engineering, helser alum, here. Things clearly have changed since then.

This is the way I feel about it as well.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I lived in Martin my freshman year, & I'm pretty sure I was the poorest kid in that joint!

I'd agree there are quite a few rich kids there, but is it necessarily a bad thing to make friends with rich kids??

Also, I would highly disagree that said rich kids don't like to party! I remember they wouldn't even let trick-or-treaters come on our floor because of all the alcohol-related issues we had had by that point..

Also, I'd recommend moving to an apartment/house after the first year. Believe it or not, you can still meet people living off campus. Don't have to worry about smuggling booze into your tiny *** room either!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I lived in Martin my freshman year, & I'm pretty sure I was the poorest kid in that joint!

I'd agree there are quite a few rich kids there, but is it necessarily a bad thing to make friends with rich kids??

Also, I would highly disagree that said rich kids don't like to party! I remember they wouldn't even let trick-or-treaters come on our floor because of all the alcohol-related issues we had had by that point..

Also, I'd recommend moving to an apartment/house after the first year. Believe it or not, you can still meet people living off campus. Don't have to worry about smuggling booze into your tiny *** room either!

Depends. Some buddies and I looked into getting a house after our first year, and decided against it (mostly out of laziness). Our second year in the dorms blew the first one out of the water, and the first one wasn't bad at all.

We moved off campus after our 2nd year, and what you said about still meeting people definitely applies. It was also nice to be able to throw your own parties and have a little more private space.

I had a lot of fun both on and off campus. I think the biggest mistake would be to just do one or the other. Having done both for 2 years, they each have their respective strengths.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Any place is as much fun as you make it.

^^This is very true, I have lived in both Martin and Friley, they are both great places to live in their own ways. It's not like one dorm has all of the cool people that you'd want to hang out with. Look at the differences between them and pick the one you think is best - it will be great.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Any place is as much fun as you make it.
This is very true. I lived in Buchanan Hall when I transferred to Iowa State in the spring of '07. Lived there spring, summer, fall of '07 and spring of '08. It was extremely boring.

Dropped out of school for two years.

Came back to ISU in the spring of '11. Moved back to Buchanan Hall, living on the same floor as the first time around. I put myself out there, being more social this time around. This past calendar year has been the best year of my life, in and out of the classroom, having made multiple friends for life.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've only lived in BWR and I like it... a lot. If you can avoid the 4th floor, where the really small rooms are.... You are golden.

Tredici

Mar 2, 2011
West Des Moines
Only dorm I lived in was Helser for a year. I don't know how I even ended there, didn't have it in any of my picks. Turned out to be awesome, the RAs could have cared less about what we did. Had coed floors and great but diverse set of people. Still friend s with a lot of people even after graduation that I met in Helser.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
MWL Suck REALLY REALLY bad - tiny little rooms

BWR is where is it at

As a freshman myself right now, living in Larch, I don't think the 'small room' thing is a problem. Freshman year you're mostly out having fun and doing stuff, you shouldn't be in your room long enough for the small size to bother you. If it does, you're doing something wrong.

Reactions: Sighclone Fan

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Really interesting that Helser is a party dorm. When I was in school it was pretty straight laced I think.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron