Top dorms at ISU

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Larch and Willow were pretty much a co-ed animal house when I was there. Pretty much every floor in both of those buildings was wild. It was an absolute blast.

Something about those concrete walls that just makes 18/19 year olds go freaking crazy. Plus, you're very close to JTS and Hilton.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
I lived in Willow my freshman year and absolutely loved it. Find a co-ed floor to live on and it will be great. I know people that lived in Maple and Eaton and hated it.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Larch and Willow were pretty much a co-ed animal house when I was there. Pretty much every floor in both of those buildings was wild. It was an absolute blast.

Something about those concrete walls that just makes 18/19 year olds go freaking crazy. Plus, you're very close to JTS and Hilton.

In all seriousness, this.

Lived on 5th floor Willow. If you're into meeting a lot of people to party with and also having lots of coeds in close proximity this is a good option.

As mentioned, easy walk to JTS and Hilton is also a plus.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I'd recommend the BWR area of Old RCA. Good location, quintessential college look and feel outside and inside (less hotel like than New RCA, new Eaton, etc). Girls are nearby but I think it is better to not go for coed dorms...when girls live down the hall the guys can't help but always be "trying to impress" and there is less dorm camaraderie, at least in my observations and memories.

Unsolicited advice, don't leave for apartment too soon. Stay at least 2 years in dorms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broodwich

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If I could go back and do it over I'd probably shoot for Maple. Air conditioned. Bus is right there. Seasons is right there. Lied is a three minute walk (State Gym is going to be a zoo for the forseeable future). Easy walk to Hilton and Jack Trice. Co-ed building. Showers and stuff were a LOT nicer than Larch. In-room sinks. You're still allowed to have some fun.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

Yea, close to Hilton and Trice are awesome. I lived in Larch my freshman year and it was really fun. Right on the orange route if you're feeling lazy, too.

I loved Friley my sophomore year, but that was probably because I had all my best friends on my floor, more than the actual dorm. Bigger rooms, though.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Pre-emptive thread summary:

-Get the hell out of the dorms ASAP and get to a fraternity!
-Frats are stupid places, full of stupid people!

you forgot the 'its a fraternity, not a frat' bogusness.

DoOrDie

Nov 3, 2010
Avoid Maple. The people that live there are fun-haters, for the most part.

I lived in Larch, on a co-ed floor (Caine!), and I had the time of my life. I was hammered for a semester, but my best friends from college came from that floor. I lived with people from my floor the rest of my college days.

I always heard that Larch was the last chance dorm, where you were put if you got kicked out elsewhere. There was always puke in the hallways, clogged toilets, pee in the elevators (that usually didn't work on the weekends), etc. It was disgusting, but it was amazing.

CloneFan319

Aug 18, 2010
Iowa
I live in Maple this year and I love it. I have friends in Willow and Larch and I have heard both good and bad things about them. Larch is definitely the worst of the 3, IMO. When I go visit my friends in Willow there is never a dull time. MWL is great though, there is always something to do and it is fairly close to everything on campus.

P.S. Seasons is great the first couple weeks, but after that it gets old, FAST.
P.S.S Ignore the guy above me that says Maple is full of fun haters.

Last edited:

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
The one nice perk about dorm life is that you have custodians. They do not get paid enough for all the though. Plugged up toliets, vomit, guys doing number two in the urinals, and other bodily fluids located were they are not supposed to be is just no fun to clean up.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
In all seriousness, this.

Lived on 5th floor Willow. If you're into meeting a lot of people to party with and also having lots of coeds in close proximity this is a good option.

As mentioned, easy walk to JTS and Hilton is also a plus.

Yup. I met a lot of the guys I ended up living with off-campus, and am still good friends with to the day on 4th floor Larch (Cessna house baby!), or at least through the people I met there.

Friley seemed like a decent place too, but parking was hell and back in my day, it was a "Fresh Start" dorm, so it was supposed to be completely dry (obviously wasn't) and I think they didn't have co-ed floors either.

Either way, in the time period I was at ISU (03-07), Larch and Willow were definitely the "party" dorms.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I live in Maple this year and I love it. I have friends in Willow and Larch and I have heard both good and bad things about them. Larch is definitely the worst of the 3, IMO. MWL is great though, there is always something to do and it is fairly close to everything on campus.

P.S. Seasons is great the first couple weeks, but after that it gets old, FAST.
P.S.S Ignore the guy above me that says Maple is full of fun haters.
^ How does Seasons compare to the UDCC?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Avoid Maple. The people that live there are fun-haters, for the most part.

I lived in Larch, on a co-ed floor (Caine!), and I had the time of my life. I was hammered for a semester, but my best friends from college came from that floor. I lived with people from my floor the rest of my college days.

I always heard that Larch was the last chance dorm, where you were put if you got kicked out elsewhere. There was always puke in the hallways, clogged toilets, pee in the elevators (that usually didn't work on the weekends), etc. It was disgusting, but it was amazing.

This is a very accurate description. Larch (and to a certain extent Willow) is the definition of disgusting college debauchery. I picked it because it was the only non-Fresh Start dorm with AC (which never really worked) and spent 2 wild/awesome years there.