Top dorms at ISU

isume6

May 22, 2011
OKC
Since I haven't seen much love for Towers, I will put my two cents in. Lived on 5th floor Storms for my first two years. Yeah they are a ways out, but I met most of my college friends there and had easy access to the cross country course for many done games of ultimate. Loved it out there, many good memories.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Towers is kinda bad now in most people's opinions i think. I lived in Helser, I'd give it a +1 people are generally nice and the CAs are pretty chill. Lucked out on my roommate though, not a ton of room for a plethora of stuff, we both kept it simple.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I met some of my best friends in Towers, but looking back, there were a lot of people that deserved multiple stab wounds.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
This thread brings back some good memories. Lived in Helser, on Jones floor '89-90 and '90-91. Was the smallest floor on campus I believe. Only 25-30 of us. Just one hallway off the main.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I know this is a discussion about top dorms, but i've gotta throw a shout-out to Freddy Court. I spent three years there and always managed to find a good party or two as well. Besides, it's not really THAT long of a walk to Campustown...

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Does eaton fill up fast because that was my top choice?

Eaton is kinda highbrow sort of college kids.... like rich suburban kids from my experience. The doors close on their own, so there's no real interaction with neighbors. Just my 2 cents, I preferred the vibe of helser and friley better. Despite the fact that they are pretty much in varying degrees of decay haha.

p.s. they fill up pretty fast ya. sorry missed the whole point

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
I know this is a discussion about top dorms, but i've gotta throw a shout-out to Freddy Court. I spent three years there and always managed to find a good party or two as well. Besides, it's not really THAT long of a walk to Campustown...

Did you find parties in Freddy??? We've gotten 4 noise complaints so far, that weren't even complaints. We had a guy from the 50's cluster (not our CA) threaten to call the cops at 9:30 on a Friday night because our music was too loud. Have lived in Freddy for the past two years and I can't wait to leave. I have to park in the next county and pay $100 to do so. As a landscaper it bugs me that they don't keep up with the place, it's a pit. Only good thing is that I don't have t pay for utilities and I if I need a repair they fix it right away.... Other than that stay away from Freddy.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
Go Greek. Don't wait one second. Best thing you'll ever do.

I've met far more d-bags in the Greek system than anywhere else. It may have been cool 20 or more years ago but now the majority is nothing more than collar popping, rohypnol slippin dumb***es that think living with 50 guys is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

If you want to overpay for everything and have ****** parking go to Freddy. I really have found now upside to living at Freddy. Party's aren't hard to find anywhere near an apartment complex or campus. Also, does the drunk bus even go north? For some reason I was thinking that the drunk bus doesn't go to Freddy but that doesn't seem right.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Quick question. For those still on campus. Is the Helser Louden/Lowden mural still up by the community room? My roommate and I were the ones that sketched/painted that on the wall in 2003/2004, just curious is all.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
If you want to overpay for everything and have ****** parking go to Freddy. I really have found now upside to living at Freddy. Party's aren't hard to find anywhere near an apartment complex or campus. Also, does the drunk bus even go north? For some reason I was thinking that the drunk bus doesn't go to Freddy but that doesn't seem right.

It goes there and SUV like every 20 minutes. I think it's B and D routes. Still, no reason to live there.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Seriously, MWL is where you want to be. Don't look for the "nicest" dorm, because after your 4 years-how nice your dorm was freshman year wont matter, but the friends you have made will.

The top floors of MWL (8th floor) have extra tall ceilings and make for a much more spacious room. If you are thinking you want to take the social route for dorms, consider locking up that top floor.

dzmetcalf

Mar 3, 2010
Ames, IA
Friley was so much fun freshman year, I think you'll find people wherever you go who share your interests, I was a design student living on a computer engineering floor, we were known throughout the building as the alcoholic floor. My advice would be live at the dorm closest to the side of campus most of your classes are.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I envied those that lived in Friley... so much closer to parties and such, as well as campus in general.

I did love Old/New RCA's proximity to Jack Trice and Hilton... especially Hilton. Made those walks back on cold winter nights so much easier.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Linden is solid. No complaints(and thats taking into account my classes were on the other side of campus in the design building).

Freddy has paper thin floors. Why they build campus apartments like that is beyond me.

dzmetcalf

Mar 3, 2010
Ames, IA
I envied those that lived in Friley... so much closer to parties and such, as well as campus in general.

I did love Old/New RCA's proximity to Jack Trice and Hilton... especially Hilton. Made those walks back on cold winter nights so much easier.
Being in Friley I was envious of MWL area for ease of walking for JackTrice and Hilton, but for class and parties couldn't have been happier.

Ummy

Nov 26, 2011
Omaha
It's been 10 years, so I don't really know the state of things these days, but...

I liked Friley because it was generally closer to most of campus, the library, and to campustown. Plus there was always someone up and around in Friley so it was hard to feel lonely or isolated or anything like that. Made lots of friends. Always something going on and such.

Had some friends in Old RCA, I remember their rooms being pretty big (Linden comes to mind... I think there were a couple of triples-as-doubles), and being closer to Leid/JTS/Hilton would've been nice.

Suites were new back then, I think just Eaton maybe. Nice and new, but seemed small.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron