TopGolf is coming to Des Moines.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
The one in Johnston will be right off the interstate. I think it will still do well for folks on the north and east side. I hate having to go out to Jordan Creek for anything and I don’t think I’m alone in that mentality. Plus bombers will have indoor simulators where you can play golf, baseball, hockey, etc.
I work just up Merle Hay from the Johnston location. I'm sure our younger staff will frequent it regularly. They are always doing some sort of event each month (baseball, hockey, State Fair, axe throwing, etc.).

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I’m sure Top Golf does their market research, and a nice chunk of it is probably median income within several different radius markers. That WDM location has to have one of, if not the highest median incomes inside of the 2-5-10 mile radiuses.
Top Golf is the destination. It doesnt need Adventureland or Bass Pro to draw in customers, it will kill it at Jordan Creek.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I work just up Merle Hay from the Johnston location. I'm sure our younger staff will frequent it regularly. They are always doing some sort of event each month (baseball, hockey, State Fair, axe throwing, etc.).
Dinks (pickleball) that is going into the old Kohls location at Merle Hay Mall looks promising.

Reactions: Letterkenny

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
how in the world did Altoona crap the bed on this. None of these golf places exist for years, the Bass Pro, outlet, adventureland and praise meadows areas has open land, and they don't put one of these there? meanwhile there is now going to be 2-3 of these things on the west side of Des Moines?
Wonder if they at least tried and it was a tax incentive or land price thing.

View attachment 118746
I thought the same thing about placing one one the east side of I35 near costco in Ankeny. It would draw crowds from ankeny/ames/altoona/pleasant hill. Just seems like a miss

Reactions: ISU_Guy

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I thought the same thing about placing one one the east side of I35 near costco in Ankeny. It would draw crowds from ankeny/ames/altoona/pleasant hill. Just seems like a miss
It honestly doesn't matter where in Des Moines it is located. I don't understand why people aren't understanding this. If someone wants to go to top golf, they're going to go to top golf. Location is irrelevant because it's the only top golf in the state (I'm pretty sure).

Reactions: Letterkenny

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
It honestly doesn't matter where in Des Moines it is located. I don't understand why people aren't understanding this. If someone wants to go to top golf, they're going to go to top golf. Location is irrelevant because it's the only top golf in the state (I'm pretty sure).
Understood and makes sense, I get the reason for Top Golf going to Jordan Creek, But how in the world do we go from zero to talking about building 3 "top golf type places" at the same time and none of those locations is that altoona area. I think one of those golf places has been scrapped now, but not sure?
I just thought it would be a really good addition to that Altoona area for entertainment and would fit in well. Oh well....either way it will be cool to have a TP in DSM.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Top Golf knockoff Pinseekers is about to open along I-380 in the Coralville/North Liberty/Tiffin area.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I’m sure Top Golf does their market research, and a nice chunk of it is probably median income within several different radius markers. That WDM location has to have one of, if not the highest median incomes inside of the 2-5-10 mile radiuses.
Income Map Pretty much as expected. 35/80 from Johnston down to WDM is on average some of the highest in the metro. We'll have two of these essentially bookending that targeted demographic.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Understood and makes sense, I get the reason for Top Golf going to Jordan Creek, But how in the world do we go from zero to talking about building 3 "top golf type places" at the same time and none of those locations is that altoona area. I think one of those golf places has been scrapped now, but not sure?
I just thought it would be a really good addition to that Altoona area for entertainment and would fit in well. Oh well....either way it will be cool to have a TP in DSM.
I think i read the one that was originally going to go off Grand was scrapped and is no longer happening. And the other one, can’t remember where it was going, will have golf bays, but kind of shifted to having it be more of an entertain type of place with other activities added.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Yeah if people really want to go to top golf they're gonna go to top golf. There's just no reason to have top golf and two off brand competitors all within the same area of DSM.

I'm assuming the off brand companies did their market research and settled on the WDM/Johnston areas with no idea that Top Golf was also working on plans for that area and had a little bit of an "oh ****" moment when Top Golf announced their plans

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I tried out the TopTracer range at Toad Valley with heated bays and indoor lounge area. Definitely different than TopGolf because you are hitting uphill instead of from an elevated tee. Also, all of the results you get are from a couple of cameras rather than where the ball actually goes.

Not a big fan of the price, and hope more courses don't take away their grass ranges to put in these facilities.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

Topgolf Sets Sights on Des Moines for First Iowa Venue​

Topgolf Entertainment Group Logo (PRNewsfoto/Topgolf Entertainment Group)

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Topgolf Entertainment Group
Jun 23, 2022, 12:00 ET
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/javascript:void(0)

The innovative venue experience will welcome all communities around the capital city
DALLAS, June 23, 2022 /PRNewswire/ --, June 23, 2022 -- Topgolf Entertainment Group, a global sports and entertainment company, plans to bring its technology-enabled golf entertainment experience to Des Moines, Iowa, in what will be the state's first Topgolf venue.
"We are thrilled to be joining the Des Moines community and look forward to welcoming our new Players to Topgolf in the near future," said Topgolf Chief Development Officer Chris Callaway. "Our focus is on creating more ways for people to play the game of golf in a fun and unique way, and the Des Moines area is the perfect place to kick off our growth within the state."
Players at the new Topgolf venue will soon be invited to enjoy the brand's signature experience where they can play in point-scoring golf games in an energetic and fun environment. Located on the corner of Jordan Creek Parkway and Mills Civic Parkway within the West Des Moines city limits, the multilevel venue will sit within The Parkways development by Hurd Real Estate and will feature 72 climate-controlled outdoor hitting bays, chef-driven menu items, top-shelf drinks, big screen TVs, music and year-round programming.
Beyond entertainment, Topgolf would create approximately 300 full- and part-time jobs upon opening this new venue, with an opportunity for future Topgolf Associates to grow their careers, work in a unique culture-first environment and be part of a company that welcomes everyone as they are.
Follow @Topgolf on social media for updates on Topgolf's progress in Des Moines.
About Topgolf Entertainment Group
Topgolf Entertainment Group is a technology-enabled global sports and entertainment company that brings joy through more ways to play the game of golf. What started as a simple idea to enhance the game of golf has grown into a movement where people can experience the unlimited power of play at the intersection of technology and sports entertainment. Topgolf Entertainment Group's brands include Topgolf venues, Topgolf Media and Toptracer technology. To learn more, visit topgolfentertainmentgroup.com or follow Topgolf on social media.
About Topgolf Venues
Topgolf venues bring people together to play in a dynamic, technology-driven golf entertainment experience. With an energetic atmosphere, Topgolf venues feature high-tech gaming, outdoor hitting bays, chef-driven menus, hand-crafted cocktails, music, corporate and social event spaces, and more. Topgolf entertains more than 20 million Players annually at nearly 80 locations across the globe. To learn more or plan your visit, visit topgolf.com.
I do not know why they are allowed without any zoning restrictions. Where I live they are nothing but a giant billboard, grabbing space that I HAVE to drive by three times a day.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron