MLB: Trevor Bauer Exonerated?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm confused why some people believe Bauer can't sue the MLB. Kaepernick sued the NFL for being blackballed and made money off of it. Bauer was suspended for 2 years and will more than likely never play in the league again and was by every measure much better at his profession than Kaepernick.

Someone already said they’ve been through arbitration or something.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'm confused why some people believe Bauer can't sue the MLB. Kaepernick sued the NFL for being blackballed and made money off of it. Bauer was suspended for 2 years and will more than likely never play in the league again and was by every measure much better at his profession than Kaepernick.

I'm confused how you think these two are remotely comparable? If the MLB engaged in a conspiracy to keep other teams from signing him then there probably would be grounds for a lawsuit. But you can't sue teams just because they don't want to deal with you because of your baggage.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Aren’t even remotely comparable situations.

Reactions: MJ29

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm confused how you think these two are remotely comparable? If the MLB engaged in a conspiracy to keep other teams from signing him then there probably would be grounds for a lawsuit. But you can't sue teams just because they don't want to deal with you because of your baggage.
He was suspended for two ******* years. And then released.

No team is going to sign someone who is suspended for two ******* years.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

So you want him to sue for something that hasn't happened yet?

Reactions: CyDude16

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
So you want him to sue for something that hasn't happened yet?
It's really not that confusing.

Trevor Bauer was suspended 324 games, essentially the duration of his current MLB contract. This leads to him being released from the Dodgers because he was never going to pitch for them. And in addition, he lost $28 million for being suspended without pay. No team has expressed any interested in signing him during this process.

I've said before, and I'll say it again. Trevor Bauer comes off as a ****** human. But in this instance, he got ******, and he has a case for being blackballed from the league.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

As an NBA watcher Chris Birdman Andersen was suspended and resigned.
Isn't the MLB version of him kinda Josh Hamilton?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Trevor Bauer was suspended 324 games, essentially the duration of his current MLB contract. This leads to him being released from the Dodgers because he was never going to pitch for them. And in addition, he lost $28 million for being suspended without pay. No team has expressed any interested in signing him during this process.

I've said before, and I'll say it again. Trevor Bauer comes off as a ****** human. But in this instance, he got ******, and he has a case for being blackballed from the league.
Agreed…. But his lawsuit is really with the individual who made false claims against him. They would be held liable for any damages. And as others pointed out, such a counter claim against the individual has been settled

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Apparently it’s confusing for you.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

You're kind of moving the goalposts and apparently don't know what blackballed means.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Michael Irvin is another example of this. I don't mean this, in any way, to minimize the severity or incidence of sexual assaults. But I don't think there's any doubting there are people out there who view false claims as a way to make money and that their actions should be punishable by law and are extremely harmful to victims of actual assault.
Any demonstrably false accusation of any crime should carry the same punishment if the alleged crime. They would typically be real tough to prove but in this case there should be something punishable. Bauer can’t really do anything here. I’m assuming she doesn’t have anything worth going after.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Thanks, I looked those up. I don't see anything that points to her planning a scheme to beat herself up for a lawsuit. But easy to see how the court looked at it and decided to drop it as it's just a he said/she said.
What are you talking about? She had a video the morning after of him sleeping beside her and she smiles. That’s not to mention the text messages are clearly point to her plotting and I don’t know how you could read them any other way.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
What are you talking about? She had a video the morning after of him sleeping beside her and she smiles. That’s not to mention the text messages are clearly point to her plotting and I don’t know how you could read them any other way.
He doesn't like him so he doesn't care.

• Dumb

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I don't think you are correct with your statement of "The probability that all of the other women are lying is .1%".

This is a prior probability/Bayes Theorem situation.

If we didn't know that the first woman lied, then, yes, we could calculate that the probability of all three women lying is 10% x 10% x 10% = 0.1% (this assumes that each woman's probability is independent of the others).

But we have new information - the first woman lied (at least, that's how things look). So the new question is:

Given that the first woman lied, what is the probability that all the other women lied?​

The Bayes Theorem states

P(A | B) = P(A) × P(B | A) / P(B)

where:
P(A | B)= the conditional probability of all women lying given the first woman lied
P(A) = the prior probability of all women lying (0.1%)
P(B | A) = the conditional probability that the first woman lied given that all the women lied
P(B) = the probability that the first woman lied (10%)

We don't really know P(B | A) but we could guesstimate. Maybe Bauer just attracts women who tend to lie in order to get money? We could set it at 90%.

The calculation would then be:

P(A | B) = 0.1% x 90% / 10% = 0.9%

Now you can go 2 ways with this result.

One way is that 0.9% is still a pretty small probability that all women are lying.

The other way is that the fact that the first woman lied means that it's now 9 times more likely that all of the other women are lying.

I'm just a lowly mathematician. Feel free to critique my work.
I'm not a mathematician, but that's the formula you use with the goat behind the door example, right?

There are four accusations. The first one lied so you're concerned with the other three. Each of them is independent of each other. Why do you use Bayes Theorem in this?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Yeah, like I said in the post quoted, saw that. She smiled one time and talked to her friends about being a gold digger is a pretty far stretch from I'm going to fake a violent sexual assault and frame him for it. Obviously doesn't prove anything either way. Being a ****** person doesn't preclude you from being assaulted.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, like I said in the post quoted, saw that. She smiled one time and talked to her friends about being a gold digger is a pretty far stretch from I'm going to fake a violent sexual assault and frame him for it. Obviously doesn't prove anything either way. Being a ****** person doesn't preclude you from being assaulted.

Violent sexual encounter, couldn't get a restraining order, talked about targeting him, took the video the morning after showing absolutely no signs of anguish, plus all the texts about scheming to target his money. The preponderance of evidence, to anyone reasonable at least, indicates she made all of this up to get him to settle. Could that not be the case? Sure, but that's highly improbable.

Oh, and rich people settle these things when they are guilty.