Tyrese Haliburton Draft Stock Still on the Rise

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The Warriors are in cap hell trying to balance the Curry, Thompson, Green, and Wiggins contracts together while still trying to fill out the roster behind them. They probably want some veterans so they can compete again next year, but I am not sure how they take on much more money, even if they can dangle that high pick out there.

One of the few ways to get cheap talent at a high value relative to its productivity is through hitting big at the top of the draft. Haliburton would fit right in with those “big four” on offense and on defense, and he would come pretty cheaply. I can see the case the Warriors just keep the pick and get whoever they think makes the best impact during their window while they still have it.

All of the above is me just talking myself into the Warriors taking Tyrese. I hope they do. I will be really sad if he ends up with a train wreck of a franchise like Chicago or New York. He doesn’t deserve that.

I hope they take him, too. If they think they can make a run next year, he’s a low-cost instant-impact guy who appears to fit the system well. I think the ideal situation for Golden State would be trading the 2 pick for a 5-10 and a second rounder.

They do have a $17m trade exception and Wiggins’ contract if there’s a chance to get better through trade, but, as with the draft, everyone seems to be slow-playing while the figure out little details like the salary cap, when the season actually starts, etc.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Being this close to the Timberwolves I am dreading the draft. I expect that they will take the Ball kid so we have to deal with that soap opera for the next several years. I would love it if they take Tyrese. At least it wouldn't be the worst possible destination for him, even if it isn't the best.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Being this close to the Timberwolves I am dreading the draft. I expect that they will take the Ball kid so we have to deal with that soap opera for the next several years. I would love it if they take Tyrese. At least it wouldn't be the worst possible destination for him, even if it isn't the best.
I am curious as to what the Wolves do with Beasley. This is a crappy draft to have the #1 pick and it is hard to trade down because I don't think anyone wants it. It does sound like they are taking Ball though which is risky.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I am curious as to what the Wolves do with Beasley. This is a crappy draft to have the #1 pick and it is hard to trade down because I don't think anyone wants it. It does sound like they are taking Ball though which is risky.
Where are you seeing this? Edwards is the overwhelming favorite to be the #1 pick

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Where are you seeing this? Edwards is the overwhelming favorite to be the #1 pick
LaMelo Ball favorite for No. 1 pick?
i_a7_72_41_lamelo-ball.png

The Minnesota Timberwolves will come up with a handful of trade scenarios, but they could have a tough time finding the right partner. The level of interest in Anthony Edwards isn’t overwhelming, and point-guard-needy teams hoping for LaMelo Ball don’t seem to have the right assets for a trade. Most scouts and executives we’ve spoken with believe that Ball would have the edge if Minnesota stays put. Sources also tell Bleacher Report that the Wolves like Obi Toppin, but it’s unclear if they’d be willing to take him at No. 1.

2 days ago – via Jonathan Wasserman @ Bleacher Report

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

The Minnesota Timberwolves will come up with a handful of trade scenarios, but they could have a tough time finding the right partner. The level of interest in Anthony Edwards isn’t overwhelming, and point-guard-needy teams hoping for LaMelo Ball don’t seem to have the right assets for a trade. Most scouts and executives we’ve spoken with believe that Ball would have the edge if Minnesota stays put. Sources also tell Bleacher Report that the Wolves like Obi Toppin, but it’s unclear if they’d be willing to take him at No. 1.

Interesting

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
The Warriors are in cap hell trying to balance the Curry, Thompson, Green, and Wiggins contracts together while still trying to fill out the roster behind them. They probably want some veterans so they can compete again next year, but I am not sure how they take on much more money, even if they can dangle that high pick out there.

One of the few ways to get cheap talent at a high value relative to its productivity is through hitting big at the top of the draft. Haliburton would fit right in with those “big four” on offense and on defense, and he would come pretty cheaply. I can see the case the Warriors just keep the pick and get whoever they think makes the best impact during their window while they still have it.

All of the above is me just talking myself into the Warriors taking Tyrese. I hope they do. I will be really sad if he ends up with a train wreck of a franchise like Chicago or New York. He doesn’t deserve that.
I want to believe too and certainly there has been some more hype for Tyrese to the Warriors lately. I don't think it's impossible and certainly that would be the best landing spot for him for immediate success.

I really think the Hawks would be a great fit for him though. I think he would pair up well with Trae Young and they have a solid young roster. Plus they like to play fast and score, definitely fits his style.

It's exciting to see Tyrese is being valued even higher after these workouts, it gives me more confidence in how succesful he will be. Plus anyone drafting him is gonna love him as a person too.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I want to believe too and certainly there has been some more hype for Tyrese to the Warriors lately. I don't think it's impossible and certainly that would be the best landing spot for him for immediate success.

I really think the Hawks would be a great fit for him though. I think he would pair up well with Trae Young and they have a solid young roster. Plus they like to play fast and score, definitely fits his style.

It's exciting to see Tyrese is being valued even higher after these workouts, it gives me more confidence in how succesful he will be. Plus anyone drafting him is gonna love him as a person too.

Atlanta would indeed be another nice landing place for him. He would fit right in with their young core.

I would hate to see him as a "Hawk," but at least they mostly wear red and gold.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

Would think that the happiest person would be Lonzo as the dad will definitely be in play as the BOGO with LaMelo wherever he lands.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also rumors that Chicago might be one team willing to try and move up.

Chicago up to #2 and takes whoever.

Dubs at #4 take Haliburton.

:D

NBADRAFT.NET has him #11 to the Spurs right now, by the way.

Might lower than we hoped, but that would be a great organization to go to.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio

Yeah, I’d rather see him go to be a better organization even if that is a later in the draft then we thought. Please no Knicks or Bulls.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I used to think this was true but is it really anymore? It's been 4 years since they've been out of the first round, DeRozan wants out so it's about to be a total gut job and Pop won't be around to see the rebuild through. Tyrese's first contract will be up by the time they'd be competitive again.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I used to think this was true but is it really anymore? It's been 4 years since they've been out of the first round, DeRozan wants out so it's about to be a total gut job and Pop won't be around to see the rebuild through. Tyrese's first contract will be up by the time they'd be competitive again.

You are right it is probably not as attractive now as it was at some point in the past. Nonetheless, it is probably better than the slim pickings at the bottom of the draft for young player. Pop is a living legend, but I trust the organization as a whole behind him over most others.