Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That’s completely uncalled for. He just didn’t improve after freshman year if you look at his numbers. Not sure why you’re defending a guy that gave up on ISU and hasn’t gotten any better in the two years since leaving ISU. Usually a lack of improvement has something to do with character and/or unwillingness to put in the effort.
Lol. You could sleep outdoors in Antarctica, under a blanket statement that thick.

• Agree
Reactions: ESciGuy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I was just going to say, he should go to Marquette. Close to home plus he and Shaka have the spurned by Texas thing in common
I think Shaka Smart is the kind of guy who would actually care and try to help Hunter develop - whether that is to keep playing ball, coaching, whatever.

We were all angry and vindictive when he left, but he is a kid whose had a rough go. I'd like to see him figure it out and have success in life. Let's stay focused on the real villain here - the University of Texas.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Most here are thinking his college career is falling. He’s probably getting a pay raise to join Calipari in Fayetteville.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I guess I don't get this ticked off at players leaving, saying they gave up on ISU. Should we have bad opinions of players like BRE, Gilbert, Curtis Jones, Gabe, and point fingers at them and say they gave up on their team? If we are going to embrace the portal, we have to be fine when players leave and not be pissy about it, unless we want to trash talk the ones we get also. Its a two way street, not one way.
Honestly we've been pretty lucky. TJ has lost one guy to NIL opportunity. If we continue to add transfers with one or two years it really isn't an issue. Keeping Momcilovic is very positive. Hopefully Keeping our best freshmen will continue.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think a few things can all be true at the same time...

1. Hunter neared his ceiling much earlier in the process than a lot of young players do. That gave an impression that there was no ceiling.
  2. He's wildly inconsistent game to game, the telltale signs of what amounts to an average P5 starter, 6th, or 7th man - all depending on the team.
  3. He probably could have developed a bit further had he stayed in a developmental program, but I think it still wouldn't have been the growth you see from many players going from Freshman to Sophomore season.
  4. I know he did have legit NBA aspirations while at Iowa State. So he was faced with chasing the money early or staying and having a better role and development path that would set him up for better chances later (though I think reality still would have limited things). He chose the first option - which is perfectly fine and understanding, especially given his background.
  5. He's still a good player, if you put your expectations on what he can contribute in check - going to be somewhat turnover prone if put in the wrong position, going to be very up and down game to game in scoring, and doesn't necessarily excel at any one thing. That equates to a pretty average player in today's game.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Depends on what he wants for his final year. If he wants to be a ball dominate scoring guard it might be best to go to a mid-major. If he wants to be a role player on a successful team, I'm sure there's plenty of high majors that would want him. If he wants money, he will go to whoever is offering the most.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Took a bag of cash and went to a school that had no interest in his development, and now he's been recruited over. Tough break, but I'm sure he'll get another pay day to go be average somewhere else. I'd be surprised if it's more than what Texas was paying him, but maybe it will be.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
He will do great somewhere else, I thinkit was more a program issue than a Hunter issue. I felt when he left ISU someone in his camp gave him poor advice...... also I feel like his career would have continued to soar under Beard.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
He will do great somewhere else, I thinkit was more a program issue than a Hunter issue. I felt when he left ISU someone in his camp gave him poor advice...... also I feel like his career would have continued to soar under Beard.
I mostly agree with this. He left Texas a year too late.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
Everyone assumes his leaving was a money issue (and I am sure that was some of it. But give the KID a break, no parents, I amsure the money was awesome). But I also feel like Beard promised him more individual opportunities than TJ. TJ is all about the team and his program just isn't for every player.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Everyone assumes his leaving was a money issue (and I am sure that was some of it. But give the KID a break, no parents, I amsure the money was awesome). But I also feel like Beard promised him more individual opportunities than TJ. TJ is all about the team and his program just isn't for every player.

Except that doesn't really make sense. They had Marcus Carr, Sir'Jabari Rice and had signed Aterio Morris. He was never going to get more individual opportunity at Texas. As soon as Marcus Carr left, they got Abmas. At Texas, there isn't any interest in development from within-- it's always going to be about stockpiling (paying) talent.

It was about the money.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I guess I don't get this ticked off at players leaving, saying they gave up on ISU. Should we have bad opinions of players like BRE, Gilbert, Curtis Jones, Gabe, and point fingers at them and say they gave up on their team? If we are going to embrace the portal, we have to be fine when players leave and not be pissy about it, unless we want to trash talk the ones we get also. Its a two way street, not one way.
When did I ever say I was ticked about Hunter leaving? I never did say that.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
The whole Tyrese Hunter thing has made me uncomfortable since the Texas/Colgate game in Wells Fargo Arena. There were grown adults standing and booing every time he got the ball. It was so embarrassing for our fanbase. The student section during an ISU/Texas is one thing... but grown adults (on the verge of retirement) booing him in a game against Colgate?! It really left a sour taste in my mouth, considering he's a kid who lost both of his parents and has had to navigate this college landscape on his own.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When did I ever say I was ticked about Hunter leaving? I never did say that.
You are bashing on the kid pretty good. Calling his character and everything into question. It's one thing to say, I think he made a wrong decision and drop it, but to say the things you have in previous posts say you are/were mad he left.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83 and VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The whole Tyrese Hunter thing has made me uncomfortable since the Texas/Colgate game in Wells Fargo Arena. There were grown adults standing and booing every time he got the ball. It was so embarrassing for our fanbase. The student section during an ISU/Texas is one thing... but grown adults (on the verge of retirement) booing him in a game against Colgate?! It really left a sour taste in my mouth, considering he's a kid who lost both of his parents and has had to navigate this college landscape on his own.
I wasn't at that game, but if you want to voice your disagreement, boo him at announcements, then move on. If you are continually booing a 19-22 year old kid because they transferred is a you problem. We don't know the whole situation.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
He probably would have. That's why leaving was a terrible decision on his part. Cost him 2 years of development that he'll never get back.
If he got $840k I don't see how you can call it a terrible decision. He started at a P5 school for two years and most likely will do the same somewhere next year. I think you could definitely make the argument that UT overpaid for his services. That doesn't bother me at all.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If he got $840k I don't see how you can call it a terrible decision. He started two year at a P5 school for two years and most likely will do the same somewhere next year. I think you could definitely make the argument that UT overpaid for his services. That doesn't bother me at all.

Agree! If that was the offer on the table...he had to take it (if it wasn't anywhere close to what ISU was offering)! There were no guarantees either way of future NBA type money so I would suggest he made the right choice. Good for him at that time and now he can second guess himself if he chooses to but he made the decision that he felt OK with at that moment. I have no idea...was he happy at ISU? Not all kids feel the same way about every environment. I am not going to clown on the guy because I really don't care...hope things work out for him because they seem to have worked out alright for ISU!

Reactions: Jab84 and Chitowncy

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
If he got $840k I don't see how you can call it a terrible decision. He started at a P5 school for two years and most likely will do the same somewhere next year. I think you could definitely make the argument that UT overpaid for his services. That doesn't bother me at all.
Where did the $840k figure come from? Last year on CF it was $300,000.

Help Support Us

Become a patron