Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The whole Tyrese Hunter thing has made me uncomfortable since the Texas/Colgate game in Wells Fargo Arena. There were grown adults standing and booing every time he got the ball. It was so embarrassing for our fanbase. The student section during an ISU/Texas is one thing... but grown adults (on the verge of retirement) booing him in a game against Colgate?! It really left a sour taste in my mouth, considering he's a kid who lost both of his parents and has had to navigate this college landscape on his own.
I was at that game and didn't see a problem with the booing.

My entire row was a bunch of teenage kids and they were giving it to the Texas fans sitting the row below us the entire time, especially when he threw up one of his patented airballs.

I dont know, maybe the NCAA tournament isn't for you if you can't handle some simple booing, did you expect a central Iowa crowd to be warm and welcoming to Texa$?

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
The whole Tyrese Hunter thing has made me uncomfortable since the Texas/Colgate game in Wells Fargo Arena. There were grown adults standing and booing every time he got the ball. It was so embarrassing for our fanbase. The student section during an ISU/Texas is one thing... but grown adults (on the verge of retirement) booing him in a game against Colgate?! It really left a sour taste in my mouth, considering he's a kid who lost both of his parents and has had to navigate this college landscape on his own.
Yeah its one thing if he is playing ISU at Hilton. Booing him playing Colgate at a neutral site is stupid.

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames

Not to mention he gave us a year and without his performance in the LSU game we don't have a sweet 16 banner hanging in Hilton for that year. Could have easily moved on after we fired Prohm. Sucks the way the whole thing went down and sucks to see how his career has panned out, but I just cant fault a kid in his position for cashing in while he could.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
If he got $840k I don't see how you can call it a terrible decision. He started at a P5 school for two years and most likely will do the same somewhere next year. I think you could definitely make the argument that UT overpaid for his services. That doesn't bother me at all.
He threw away two years of potential development that could have paid off much more than that down the road. He wasn't going to get nothing here either, just less than Texas was paying.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not to mention he gave us a year and without his performance in the LSU game we don't have a sweet 16 banner hanging in Hilton for that year. Could have easily moved on after we fired Prohm. Sucks the way the whole thing went down and sucks to see how his career has panned out, but I just cant fault a kid in his position for cashing in while he could.

To me, it's pretty simple. I don't blame him for cashing in. I get it. But I also am not going to feel bad for him that his career at Texas was very average. I'm not going to feel bad for him that Terry ran him off and replaced him. I'm not going to feel bad for him that he was reduced to being a role player on a marginal team. I'm also not going to feel bad for him if he gets boo'd by Iowa State fans, either at home or on the road.

I just don't get all the delicate, touchy-feely stuff from some fans about Tyrese. Again, I get why he did what he did, and I don't even blame him. But he left us in a tough spot, and thank goodness Lipsey turned out the way he did. And if he wants to take grown man money, then he surely can handle being treated like a grown man.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hard to argue with that, it's a full circle of contradictions so I don't know where I'd start. What I can say is I believe the guy that carried us to the sweet 16 could of improved his range in the offseason from a consistency stand point.
Hunter improved his three point shooting, but just not as much as was needed to be playing off the ball and be a highly valuable offensive player.

I'm just arguing the fact a bit that guys like Lipsey or Hunter improve their shooting because of coaching. First, there wasn't a person on the planet, the two players included, that didn't know three point shooting was a massive hole in their games that needed to be hammered in the offseason. And as for the improvement itself, that is pretty much solely on the player. The extent that a head coach improves a three point shooter goes about as far as "here's your role, if you want to play you have to knock down 3s."

There's a big difference in coaching, but I don't that difference played out at all in who improved more as a three point shooter. I think that came down to one guy putting in a lot more time than the other.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hunter did improve this year despite playing for Terry. I think in the right system where the ball is in his hands he could have a huge senior year.

Reactions: Irish1

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hunter improved his three point shooting, but just not as much as was needed to be playing off the ball and be a highly valuable offensive player.

I'm just arguing the fact a bit that guys like Lipsey or Hunter improve their shooting because of coaching. First, there wasn't a person on the planet, the two players included, that didn't know three point shooting was a massive hole in their games that needed to be hammered in the offseason. And as for the improvement itself, that is pretty much solely on the player. The extent that a head coach improves a three point shooter goes about as far as "here's your role, if you want to play you have to knock down 3s."

There's a big difference in coaching, but I don't that difference played out at all in who improved more as a three point shooter. I think that came down to one guy putting in a lot more time than the other.
Identify the problem was never an issue. Knowing how to correct is completely different. Anyone that thinks simply taking 500 shots a day solves everything is an idiot.

Reactions: VeloClone

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Not that a lot of people here are doing it, but I think it's weird to imply that Hunter has character concerns or isn't a hard worker. That seems counter to how everybody felt his freshman season when he was known for his defensive intensity and effort, poking balls away at the top of the key and diving on them halfway down the court.

It's also revisionist history to say that he wasn't a good passer--his assist percentage as a freshman was higher than Tamin's as a freshman, and his turnover percentage as a freshman was lower than Tamin's as a freshman. Obviously, Hunter needed to (and still needs to) develop a more consistent shot, and the turnovers needed to come down. But I think that the entire situation at Texas is more of what hurt his development than anything about his character or effort. Even defensively, his impact was reduced because Texas didn't play as aggressively, and opponents realized they could just stick his guy in the corner if Tyrese was causing an issue (that's what happened when Texas came to Hilton last year--Tamin just stopped bringing the ball up).

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Tyrese should go play for Calipari at Arkansas. Cal could get him drafted.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Identify the problem was never an issue. Knowing how to correct is completely different. Anyone that thinks simply taking 500 shots a day solves everything is an idiot.
Solves everything? No. Pretty much the determining factor of success? Yes.

Getting good mechanics in shooting is easy and takes very little coaching time. The idea that there is some extensive shot mechanics coaching that isn't known by pretty much every level of coach is silly. Sure, there are some incredibly detailed mechanics things that the few shooting coaches in the NBA might do, but there's a big difference when you have incredible amounts of time to work on absolute finest of tuning.

There's a reason guys in the same program at the exact same time with the exact same exposure to coaching have wildly different outcomes in shooting percentage changes. The head coach isn't sitting there with players for extensive hours correcting shooting mechanics.

It's a completely different thing than say, improving post moves. Those are a lot more dynamic, a lot less intuitive, and not simply a repetition/muscle-memory thing. That's something where coaching has a great impact. Three point or FT shooting, not so much at the college level.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Solves everything? No. Pretty much the determining factor of success? Yes.

Getting good mechanics in shooting is easy and takes very little coaching time. The idea that there is some extensive shot mechanics coaching that isn't known by pretty much every level of coach is silly. Sure, there are some incredibly detailed mechanics things that the few shooting coaches in the NBA might do, but there's a big difference when you have incredible amounts of time to work on absolute finest of tuning.

There's a reason guys in the same program at the exact same time with the exact same exposure to coaching have wildly different outcomes in shooting percentage changes. The head coach isn't sitting there with players for extensive hours correcting shooting mechanics.

It's a completely different thing than say, improving post moves. Those are a lot more dynamic, a lot less intuitive, and not simply a repetition/muscle-memory thing. That's something where coaching has a great impact. Three point or FT shooting, not so much at the college level.
If true everyone would be have a 40%+ 3P%.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If true everyone would be have a 40%+ 3P%.
Not everyone puts in the time.

And QUALITY time. Practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect. Just throwing up 500 shots a day doesn't help if you aren't truly focusing on the fine details that you are trying to improve. To me, that instant feedback from a coach, GA, or even a sharp student manager who knows what to look for while you are putting in time helps a ton.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I was at that game and didn't see a problem with the booing.

My entire row was a bunch of teenage kids and they were giving it to the Texas fans sitting the row below us the entire time, especially when he threw up one of his patented airballs.

I dont know, maybe the NCAA tournament isn't for you if you can't handle some simple booing, did you expect a central Iowa crowd to be warm and welcoming to Texa$?

Yeah its one thing if he is playing ISU at Hilton. Booing him playing Colgate at a neutral site is stupid.

Part of it was that it was Texas. The other part, that many forget, Hunter/his brothers were vocal/disparaging of Iowa State on their way out. Hunter also continued taking shots at Iowa State on social media during the season last year (Edit: technically two seasons ago).

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not everyone puts in the time.

And QUALITY time. Practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect. Just throwing up 500 shots a day doesn't help if you aren't truly focusing on the fine details that you are trying to improve. To me, that instant feedback from a coach, GA, or even a sharp student manager who knows what to look for while you are putting in time helps a ton.
I just said that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

To be fair most people don't know his back story, all they remember is he left to go to Tx for a bag of money. In the new world of pay to play for college athletics don't be surprised to see more people booing and harassing players.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
There are renowned hard workers in professional basketball who still don't become great shooters. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant both shot about 33% from three for their careers. Now, you could say that they just chose to spend their time working on other things or that they decided a three-point shot wasn't worthwhile enough to add to their games. But I'm guessing they were still putting up far more shots and doing so with far better trainers than any college player is able to do or has access to.

Help Support Us

Become a patron