UNI vs. ISU - thoughts/predictions?

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I think Prohm is a great leader of men. He has done an incredible job managing his roster and the different personalities on the roster over the last few years...all while taking over after a Cyclone legend. His job has not been easy, and he's done it very well. The success we have had in his tenure, regardless of the talent he inherited, is not something to be taken lightly. I think Prohm can still develop on the X's and O's and game management side of things (and I think he will continue to get better) but where he has far exceeded my expectation is being a leader and getting the most out of the guys he has. It's really incredible to watch. For a comparison, look at the T.O.E. and Mad Fran. That guy can't construct a roster, his teams generally don't get better as the season goes on, and his teams overall seem to be mentally weak. We are very lucky to have the guy we have running our program.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
A football game can end 7-3 and still have a lot of excitement. A lot of exciting things can happen between the 20's. Prime example...TCU vs iSu this year and iSu actually played ball control in football this year

I can respect what teams like Virginia and UNI do but a lot of times...when teams let the air out of the ball and slow the game down, they are not doing much in the first 15 seconds of the shot clock. They may wait until 15 seconds left to initiate offense. Watching a guy dribble at the top of the key or two guys pass the ball back and forth for 10-15 seconds is not all that exciting. That is a little different than in football. A well blocked dive play could turn into a 40 yard gain pretty quickly.
I agree. And that's what I'm talking about. In football, you can have incomplete passes because a QB keeps overthrowing his target or just stands there with the ball. Kinda boring. Or you can have incomplete passes because of brilliant defensive effort by a CB.

So... Which is UNI doing?
When UNI has the ball, I'd say it's a mix. Sometimes, I really do think that a few of our offensive sets were, "Everyone rest while Wes dribbles and then tries to score by himself (which Wes often did)." But other times, and especially since Wes graduated, I would say there is a lot of motion and UNI wants to push it on offense quite a bit.
When UNI is on defense - that's when we want to slow things down. And our fans get it. When the half-court defense if humming, the crowd gets into it and gets loud when the shot clock gets under 10.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I agree. And that's what I'm talking about. In football, you can have incomplete passes because a QB keeps overthrowing his target or just stands there with the ball. Kinda boring. Or you can have incomplete passes because of brilliant defensive effort by a CB.

So... Which is UNI doing?
When UNI has the ball, I'd say it's a mix. Sometimes, I really do think that a few of our offensive sets were, "Everyone rest while Wes dribbles and then tries to score by himself (which Wes often did)." But other times, and especially since Wes graduated, I would say there is a lot of motion and UNI wants to push it on offense quite a bit.
When UNI is on defense - that's when we want to slow things down. And our fans get it. When the half-court defense if humming, the crowd gets into it and gets loud when the shot clock gets under 10.
it hat is no different than any crowd. iSu fans were getting loud every time they got alcorn st down in the shot clock.

I’m sorry but if your offense is pushing pace and scoring what they aren’t...they are inefficient as hell

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
This team doesn't seem as reliant on threes which might actually stress Uni' s defense more than past match-ups. I think we make enough from beyond the arc to pull away at the end. ISU 80 Panthers 74.
The last time we met we shot 3 for 17 from beyond the stripe and lost by 2, but we had Georges to make up for it.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think its fair to give Prohm some criticism for in game adjustments, there haven't been a lot but there have been some weird end game situations (Cincy last year,@ Baylor two years ago) but no one can question that his teams get better as the year goes on. Even criticizing his in game stuff is probably a bit of a stretch but he followed one of the best offensive minds in all of college basketball, almost any coach is going to come up short when being compared to Fred when it comes to matchups/mismatches etc. If I had to win one game, give me Fred, if I'm looking at the season as a whole or the program as a whole, I'd take Prohm. He's just better suited for the college game.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
This team doesn't seem as reliant on threes which might actually stress Uni' s defense more than past match-ups. I think we make enough from beyond the arc to pull away at the end. ISU 80 Panthers 74.
The last time we met we shot 3 for 17 from beyond the stripe and lost by 2, but we had Georges to make up for it.
This year we attempt 24 three point shots per game or 38.8% of our total shots
Last year we attempted 25 three point shots per game or 39.3% of our total shots
2015-16 we attempted 22 three point shots per game or 35.1% of our total shots

I would argue we are more reliant on the three ball than two years ago and the same as last year

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
This year we attempt 24 three point shots per game or 38.8% of our total shots
Last year we attempted 25 three point shots per game or 39.3% of our total shots
2015-16 we attempted 22 three point shots per game or 35.1% of our total shots

I would argue we are more reliant on the three ball than two years ago and the same as last year
Good stuff, it will be interesting to see where the numbers end up after a full season.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yeah, I don't get the narrative that this team doesn't shoot 3s like in year's past. That just isn't the case.

I have decided to change my mind on this and decided I am picking ISU to win over UNI because I forgot to take into account guards win in college basketball and ISU has superior guards.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Good stuff, it will be interesting to see where the numbers end up after a full season.
If I am defending iSu, I defend the three point line hard and make Young/Lard beat me. I would rather Wigginton beat me off the dribble as he shoots better from 3(49%) as he does from 2(43%). Not really concerned with Babb or Jackson killing me off the dribble.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'm just glad I'll be coaching a youth basketball team instead of sitting in front of my tv watching the Cyclones lose to Jacobson for the 3 millionth time.

• Funny
Reactions: BoxsterCy

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
If I am defending iSu, I defend the three point line hard and make Young/Lard beat me. I would rather Wigginton beat me off the dribble as he shoots better from 3(49%) as he does from 2(43%). Not really concerned with Babb or Jackson killing me off the dribble.
I agree, this is why I think Brase might be the X Factor this game.

• Agree
Reactions: inCyteful

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prohm has a higher winning percentage than Jacobson. Has one less tournament appearance in 6 less years of being a head coach. Prohm has made the tournament in 3 out of 6 years as a head coach, Jacobson has made the tournament in only 4 of 11 years.

They lost the Purdue game, it happens.

A 4 beating a 5 in which IIRC the 4 seed was favored and the 4 was generally a bad matchup for ISU? Golly.

That meltdown vs. ATM was something that really doesn't happen. But hey, at least UNI had their identity that entire time.

Reactions: rholtgraves

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Hahaha, man, some of you guys sure think you know more than you actually do.

And FTR, I'm not calling out everybody who said we'd lose. I'm calling out the ones who said we'd lose by a lot, and said it so matter-of-factly.

When you’re predicting a game there’s not much room for doubt. Give us a break.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Kind of surprised by the results. Mostly walk away pretty darn impressed with the Cyclone defense. Didn't shoot lights out from 3, but they were a lot better in the second half. Still the defense and the play of LW in the second half was the difference in the game. He had a 7-8 minute span there when he completely took over the game on offense and got ISU into the lead. These guys are becoming a decent team.