***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
In Central WI I don't get into many conversations about WBB, or Iowa State in general. But, Social Media must have a big impact. I was wearing my Iowa State jacket and had a brief encounter at my Kroger. A kid (16-ish boy?) grabbed my cuff and asked about Audi! Says he liked her pre-game ritual "the missed haymaker." I smiled and feigned agreement. Does anyone know what that is?
Backstory on the kid who started a conversation about Crooks. Said "HI!" when I saw him again he was wearing a high-visibility-colored vest and pushing carts. He works at the store and his twin sister plays bb. And like many twins, they are pretty close and she is up on Clark and Audi. Nice kid.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So what is the closest we have ever gotten a transfer/commitment to the season opener? We will be near that record if one is to come in.

Portal isn't even closed yet, think athletes have till the 14th or 15th yet to declare but that's getting pretty late. Anyone entering that late would likely be someone that got recruited over with their coach landing transfers.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
In Central WI I don't get into many conversations about WBB, or Iowa State in general. But, Social Media must have a big impact. I was wearing my Iowa State jacket and had a brief encounter at my Kroger. A kid (16-ish boy?) grabbed my cuff and asked about Audi! Says he liked her pre-game ritual "the missed haymaker." I smiled and feigned agreement. Does anyone know what that is?

No idea.
Edit Nice job by everyone who found the clips.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The discus prelims are done: 24 competitors, best of three throws, top 8 advance. Audi was #6 so she'll move on, but she'll have to throw better in the final. Here best throw was 111'11", while the top throw was 127'11". Audi won last year with a throw of 131'5".

Looks like the three prelim throws count, and the final 8 get three more throws to try to better their standing.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Live results here: https://results.wayzatatiming.com/meets/25654/events/919856/live-horizontal/compiled

Audi throw #4: Foul
Audi throw #5: 115-0, moving her up to #4 (but someone else threw a 134-10, so winning seems unlikely at this point)
Audi throw #6: 117-9, her best throw of the day but not enough to move her up.

Audi finishes in 4th place. The winner, Anna Hadley (a freshman from Pekin), threw a 134-04 in addition to her 134-10. The second place finisher threw a 131-02 on her last throw to make it close.

Last edited:
Reactions: bozclone and Frog

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
This is her third straight title. She set the 1A record last year with 45-01. This year she was "only" 44-00.75, which won the competition by over 4 feet. All five of her throws (she fouled on one of her six attempts) were longer than the 2nd place throw.

Awesome - I glanced at the results for the other classes and she'd have won 4A by a significant margin. I'm really hoping this "strength" is beneficial on the basketball court in the form of post defense and establishing an inside power game.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Awesome - I glanced at the results for the other classes and she'd have won 4A by a significant margin. I'm really hoping this "strength" is beneficial on the basketball court in the form of post defense and establishing an inside power game.
I get the feeling Iowa girls' sports will not see another the likes of Audi anytime soon. What a dominant force.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
This thread isn't done yet! We have a new player on the list. The coaches appear to be very interested in Alisa Williams, a 6'2" F transferring out of LSU. She played very little as a freshman last year,

We did recruit her for the 2022 class before she verballed TCU in 2020. She then flipped her verbal to LSU a year later. She likely figured her playing time wasn't going to increase with the additions LSU got this offseason, especially Aneesah Morrow.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
This thread isn't done yet! We have a new player on the list. The coaches appear to be very interested in Alisa Williams, a 6'2" F transferring out of LSU. She played very little as a freshman last year,

We did recruit her for the 2022 class before she verballed TCU in 2020. She then flipped her verbal to LSU a year later. She likely figured her playing time wasn't going to increase with the additions LSU got this offseason, especially Aneesah Morrow.

Possibly more to this than I realized at first. She entered the portal as "do not contact", so she's asking coaches to not contact her without her permission. She doesn't follow many people on twitter (only 85), and since entering the portal I believe she's only newly started following three people on twitter: Coach Fen, Jodi, and Billy. Latoja is one of a handful of coaches she still follows from back when she was originally being recruited.

Similar on instagram -- the only basketball coach she recently started following is Jodi.

At the very least, she is heavily considering ISU. At this point, I don't see any evidence of other schools she is considering. That doesn't mean she's made her decision and won't be looking at other schools in the coming days.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Possibly more to this than I realized at first. She entered the portal as "do not contact", so she's asking coaches to not contact her without her permission. She doesn't follow many people on twitter (only 85), and since entering the portal I believe she's only newly started following three people on twitter: Coach Fen, Jodi, and Billy. Latoja is one of a handful of coaches she still follows from back when she was originally being recruited.

Similar on instagram -- the only basketball coach she recently started following is Jodi.

At the very least, she is heavily considering ISU. At this point, I don't see any evidence of other schools she is considering. That doesn't mean she's made her decision and won't be looking at other schools in the coming days.

So how does this work since she entered the portal after the "deadline"? Does this mean she has to sit out a year?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If this does come true I do believe that she would need to sit out a year unless she would get a waiver of some type.
It's possible she entered the portal a while back but never made it public. If you think you might transfer, you could enter the portal during the window and then sit on that for a while. Especially since she's "do not contact".

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

NOTE - the article is from 2022, so the May 1 date was the cutoff for 2022.

Student-athletes must enter the portal (or at least notify their school’s administration of their intention) by May 1 for all fall and winter sports, and July 1 for all spring sports, in order to be eligible to use the one-time transfer exception.

Student-athletes who miss this deadline will be ineligible to compete at their new school for one season, unless the new school submits a waiver that’s granted by the NCAA.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
In review, three apparent possibilities for Williams:
  • She entered before the deadline but kept quiet about it -- she is immediately eligible
  • She entered after the deadline but will receive a waiver from the NCAA -- she is immediately eligible
  • She entered after the deadline and will not receive a waiver -- she has to sit out a year.
(This is ignoring the fourth possibility -- she somehow managed to graduate from LSU in one year and is a grad transfer, so the portal deadline does not apply to her.)