What did Otz screw up this game

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Winning tomorrow at Houston would make expectations too high for the remainder of the season. Our team won’t be able to reach.

/S

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ZRF going on other team's boards to pose as the "reasonable Cyclone fan" who then proceeds to flatter their high opinions of themselves (especially Kansas from the looks of it) and seek validation for his/her bizarrely low opinion of the program under TJ (and, you know, they're only #4 on Torvik and #9 on KenPom right now) is either the saddest thing I've ever seen from a supposed "Iowa State fan" or a 7D chess move on the trolling board so genius I can barely even fathom it. Anybody want to help me out on this one?

Pretty much the definition of a "useful idiot," right?

A lot of their stuff imo comes off as some sort of actual psychological issues of living in their own reality or something.

Not like the social media stuff where someone portrays themselves living the perfect life, but setting things up where basketball players should just 'do' things even if they're not physically able to. Or this sideways view of making objective statements about coaching decisions with no sources to rationalize the take.

Imo it's something that's taken over fandom like when posters called for Gabe or BRE to sit the last two seasons when there was pretty much nobody else doing anything or when someone says 'X player should have made that shot' like they chose what would happen, but just way more intense.

Reactions: NWICY

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
A lot of their stuff imo comes off as some sort of actual psychological issues of living in their own reality or something.

Not like the social media stuff where someone portrays themselves living the perfect life, but setting things up where basketball players should just 'do' things even if they're not physically able to. Or this sideways view of making objective statements about coaching decisions with no sources to rationalize the take.

Imo it's something that's taken over fandom like when posters called for Gabe or BRE to sit the last two seasons when there was pretty much nobody else doing anything or when someone says 'X player should have made that shot' like they chose what would happen, but just way more intense.

Hindsight is a hell of a drug for some people.

Reactions: madguy30

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
ZRF going on other team's boards to pose as the "reasonable Cyclone fan" who then proceeds to flatter their high opinions of themselves (especially Kansas from the looks of it) and seek validation for his/her bizarrely low opinion of the program under TJ (and, you know, they're only #4 on Torvik and #9 on KenPom right now) is either the saddest thing I've ever seen from a supposed "Iowa State fan" or a 7D chess move on the trolling board so genius I can barely even fathom it. Anybody want to help me out on this one?

ZRF lives in a video game mindset. Players execute perfectly, live up to their attributes perfectly, play to their stats perfectly and coaches coach perfectly. When that doesn’t happen, something is wrong, and he is not doing his job as a fan if he isn’t pointing that out to all of us. And if you dare to disagree, you’re a homer. The one place you can go free of homers that disagree with your negative take is a rival’s message board. “Hey Kansas fans, I’m an Iowa State fan and I think they suck. Who’s with me?” It’s pathetic. And weird.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
ZRF lives in a video game mindset. Players execute perfectly, live up to their attributes perfectly, play to their stats perfectly and coaches coach perfectly. When that doesn’t happen, something is wrong, and he is not doing his job as a fan if he isn’t pointing that out to all of us. And if you dare to disagree, you’re a homer. The one place you can go free of homers that disagree with your negative take is a rival’s message board. “Hey Kansas fans, I’m an Iowa State fan and I think they suck. Who’s with me?” It’s pathetic. And weird.

Might as well go to Moscow in 1936 and declare Stalinism is the future. It somehow manages to be equally impossible levels of stupid and immoral somehow.

Reactions: NWICY and trevn

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Yeah u nailed it. He posts bad stuff on our board about our team and then goes and kisses the enemies ass. He is definitely a traitor. It’s sad really. He basically seems to root for everyone except Iowa State, which would make him known around where I live as a Hawkeye.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Hi @ZRF - I miss you, come back and talk with me. I really enjoy our banter and intellectual exchanges. I have learned so much about the game of basketball from you. You are the only one that keeps me real and not falling for the fake product TJ is putting on the floor.

Another attack but...again...since you asked....

I was at the game. Going in I expected to lose (as one should playing a great team, on the road, where they play well) and thought rebounded would be a key issue. One one of the first few possessions we were bad on a possession but on the overall? It was probably our best rebounding performance of the season, especially considering the environment and competition.

I'd also say it was probably one of his best games in terms of management. Playing Pavs in the first half was a mistake, as usual he couldn't keep up defensively, but he seemed to notice and didn't play him in the 2nd half. BRE played great and Otz stuck with him, which was easy to do with Ward in trouble (who didn't have his best game). At the end of the game he was subbing guys in and out and utilizing his roster.

The only two things that disappoointed me were Lipsey (not his best game but Houston is tough) and the unforced TOs. One of the more significant plays in the game was in the 2nd half, down 5, on a break (off a TO) with a chance to go down 3 and stifle the crowd. Keshon tries to split two defenders, predictably turns it over, and Houston scores (a 3 I think). Backbreaking possession right there. The environment was TOUGH but you have to make them earn the TOs. Too many times we didn't.

But there were far more positives than negatives. Our 3 point shooting selection was fantastic, and ti think that was a large part of our success there. The rebounding was great, and King probably blocked out the best he has all season. Our effort was great on the road. Probably the most impressive part, what you want to see out of your team, is they didnt' fold. Down big in the first and got down 11 in the 2nd but kept fighting back. Do that in the tourney, on a neutral court, and that can steal a win. Great resilience for the team.

That arena was consistently LOUD. Putting the students on the floor is something EVERY school should do if they want to win. I was loud, the atmopshere palpable, and I'd say it's the loudest arena in the conference (Hilton and the Phog can be louder at times but not as consistently deafening as Fertitta). You just want to make Houston earn the win at home and they did. Not much more you could reasonably ask for.