Women's NCAA Hoops Tournament

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Oklahoma State hanging in with #1 seed Mississippi State on ESPN2 right now. Only down by 1 at halftime. Cowgirls giving them a game. Would be a big upset if they could pull this off but not holding my breath as this is on MSU home court.

Texas is up on Ariz State 36-30. Baylor has already punched their ticket to the Sweet Sixteen.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
OSU played in Starkville in December. Only lost by 3. Closest game for MSU all year, other than their 1 loss.

Ah, interesting. I just flipped the game on and have been sorta tuning the two announcers out (who I think suck). I do think that OSU's style is a good matchup to MSU's.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Was thinking about posting this very thread. So far in this tourney 4 teams with home court advantage have lost. Tenn to Oregon St. (first ever loss for Tenn at home in NCAA tourney history, Georgia but to 5 seed Duke, 2 11's have beaten 3's on their home floor Buffalo beat FSU and Central Michigan defeated Ohio St.

Last edited:

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
My interest in Women's basketball had waned quite a bit in recent years. I still go to ISU games but rarely watch other games. Seeing scores like 140 - 52 sickens me. Honestly prefer volleyball now. Maybe things will get better in the future, I hope so, I want to like Women's basketball again.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Where is the Big 10?

Ohio St was the last Big 10 team and lost at HOME by about 20 to the Central Mich team that beat us in the Bahamas. CMU controlled the game from the 2nd qtr on and the game was never close after that. CMU shot about 57% from 3 and 25-27 from the FT line. All 4 B10 teams that made it to the second round lost by double digits, plus IA did not make it out of the first round. Also in the WNIT Mich St beat Toledo at home on a shot at the buzzer.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Where is the Big 10?

Out - overall the Big10 was average this year.

Maryland - lost to NC State in 2nd round
Ohio State - blown out by Central Michigan in 2nd round
Michigan - lost to Baylor 2nd round
Nebraska - lost to ASU 1st round
Minnesota - blown out by Oregon 2nd round
Iowa - lost to Creighton 1st round

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don't think it was mentioned in any WBB threads but the Sooners getting in at 16-14 was pretty interesting. They had a really tough schedule and good RPI but that usually isn't enough with only 16 wins. Of course they would have had their 20 wins with a more cupcake NC schedule. For the record, I did think they should of been in.

Only watched the Gophers from Big 10 land teams. They did get by Wisconsin Green Bay who we played in back-to-back NCAA's in Ames. Gophers only have one mode, out score your opponent. Fun to watch sometimes but didn't match up well against Oregon, that's for sure.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Out - overall the Big10 was average this year.

Maryland - lost to NC State in 2nd round
Ohio State - blown out by Central Michigan in 2nd round
Michigan - lost to Baylor 2nd round
Nebraska - lost to ASU 1st round
Minnesota - blown out by Oregon 2nd round
Iowa - lost to Creighton 1st round

They had seven pretty good teams but fizzled at the end of the season. Big 12 had four pretty decent teams and pretty weak below that. Baylor and Texas are living up to their seeds. Remains to be seen how far Baylor can go having to replace a first team Big 12 senior PG with a freshman (talented but not in the same league yet by a long shot).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Crazy how the Pac12 has kind of come on in WBB. Used to be Stanford leading the way, but crazy to see a school like Oregon St. getting it done is eye opening.
Maybe most of their halfway decent male players are donning wigs and playing on the women's side. That would explain both the league's rise in WBB and its fall in MBB.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baylor/Oregon State on right now on ESPN2. 31-29 da Bears at halftime. Pretty good game so far. Baylor had a slow start in the 1st quarter. Their PG is looking a little out of control and not helping things IMHO.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baylor's chances to advance much were pretty much stymied when their 1st team Big 12 PG tore her ACL just before the tournament. The stupidest thing I heard tonight was one of the idiot talking heads in the ESPN studio suggesting Baylor was BETTER with freshman Morris at PG than Wallace. o_O Morris had a good final minute of the game but I still find that to be a moronic assessment.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Baylor and Texas both out - disappointing end for the Big12.

However, I think it plays to the strength of the conference which overall was fairly weak. The weakness of the conference finally caught up with them tonight.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron