Women's NCAA Hoops Tournament

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Shepard transferred from Nebraska and got a pass from the NCAA based on undetailed and undisclosed "extenuating personal circumstances." Basically because ND is a blue blood with a hall of fame coach. Rules are for other lesser teams even while their hypocrite coach preachs about transfers ruining the game. If she was leaving ND for Nebraska she would have had to sit.

**** ND.
Agree...Shepard "scorched earth'd" Nebraska and Coach Yori, and then got a free pass to an "understanding" ND, who has now become my most disliked women's team.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I still think that reducing the number of scholarships for wbb would help create more balance. Currently reminds me of how Iowa wrestling used to load up on state champions with most being practice room fodder.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I still think that reducing the number of scholarships for wbb would help create more balance. Currently reminds me of how Iowa wrestling used to load up on state champions with most being practice room fodder.

You'd have to reduce it a LOT. It's at 15 right now and most schools don't even use all of them. Baylor had a 10 gal roster this year and UCONN has 12 on their Final Four team. Texas and ND did have 14, I assume they are all scholarship since neither school needs to be concerned about cost. Don't see that cutting scholarships to 12 or so would accomplish much. You could cut it the men's level of 13 and not impact things at all.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You'd have to reduce it a LOT. It's at 15 right now and most schools don't even use all of them. Baylor had a 10 gal roster this year and UCONN has 12 on their Final Four team. Texas and ND did have 14, I assume they are all scholarship since neither school needs to be concerned about cost. Don't see that cutting scholarships to 12 or so would accomplish much. You could cut it the men's level of 13 and not impact things at all.
Talent is part of it, but so is coaching. Geno is just a tremendous coach. Look at the intensity of Connecticut compared to others.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and BoxsterCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The big advantage on the women's side is the ability to use a practice squad. You don't have to have any of your players practice against your starters and practice as the other team when you have a squad of guys do it. I agree there is no reason for the number of scholarships in WBB.

I didn't realize the WNBA used this practice as well until the T-Wolves drafted Tyus and they kept talking about how he used to be a Lynx practice squad member.

• Winner
Reactions: gizzsdad

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Louisville is going to be replaying those final seconds in regulation forever. Up 3 you have to foul, even had one to give.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's been a great tournament - both semifinal games go to OT. Would hope the men's semis today could be as good.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We saw the last minute of regulation in the ND/UCONN game, then the last minute or so in OT. I'm SO glad UCONN didn't win. I'll actually watch the title game now. Had Connecticut made it there, I probably wouldn't pay any attention.

The Louisville/MSU game was pretty good from the little bits I saw, also. It didn't matter to me a whole lot who won that game because I don't have a big reason to either dislike or love either team.

The officiating has been (predictably) truly terrible. Yup, these are the "best" the profession has to offer.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Well been a Patriot fan for years and I definitely know why fans often get tired of the same team winning. Glad there will be a new national champion!

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Practicing against men probably makes the 1st 5-7 players better. The remainder stay stagnant because they rarely have an opportunity to scrimmage during the season when coaching is available. So Notre Dame and UConn square off and use only 6 players each. Go ahead and tell me this bodes well for the sport of women's basketball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron