WVU Appears to be in Trouble

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I don't get the internship that turned into another internship that turned into my first career if I go the CC route. But my industry was heavy on connections and networking and ISU professors had them in spades. If you are a more accessible in demand career with broader applications like teaching, nursing, I think the CC route is pretty solid.
For sure. I think it plays out in the minds of post grad recruiters too. I’ve had a chance to recruit for my company (Fortune 500 in manufacturing field with multiple corporate support roles) and we expect to see an internship or two on a resume when hiring full time. Subconsciously, it seems off if a student doesn’t have an internship or other applicable experience listed. Is this person employable? Fair or not, internships have become the expectation for most corporate companies.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Iowa and central Illinois have places in the same boat. Tell me how the river towns in SE Iowa are all that far removed from this?

Maybe not quite as bad yet, but in the team picture.

A quick check shows Burlington with a high school sitting at a 1 or 2 for quality. They are one manufacturing plant away from dying. The crime is worse per capita than Compton

Ft Madison. Keokuk. Southern Iowa.
Poverty levels, average property values, employment rate, opioid usage. You can just see that infrastructure is in better shape. A couple of those river towns are definitely pretty rough, but compared to Appalachia, it still looks alright. There's plenty of rural decline here, but it is MUCH slower than in most of the rest of the country. Particularly north of I-80 where you can actually find rural towns that have gained population.

Since 1950, West Virginia has lost 300,000 people. In that time, Iowa's added 500,000. That's nearly a million person swing between the two in small states.

Acting like Iowa has become Appalachia is simply inaccurate.

Reactions: NWICY and cyfan92

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Poverty levels, average property values, employment rate, opioid usage. You can just see that infrastructure is in better shape. A couple of those river towns are definitely pretty rough, but compared to Appalachia, it still looks alright. There's plenty of rural decline here, but it is MUCH slower than in most of the rest of the country. Particularly north of I-80 where you can actually find rural towns that have gained population.

Since 1950, West Virginia has lost 300,000 people. In that time, Iowa's added 500,000. That's nearly a million person swing between the two in small states.

This. If you've ever been deep into Appalachia, there's no way you'd equate it with even the worst parts of Iowa. It feels legit third-world.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This. If you've ever been deep into Appalachia, there's no way you'd equate it with even the worst parts of Iowa. It feels legit third-world.
There are many MANY places in WV that still don't have access to the internet. Back in those hollers, people are basically disconnected from modern society.

A quick story...I worked with a guy who had to some contract drilling in rural WV. When the client him on site, he gave him two pieces of advice: #1 Hire a local to do something, anything. #2 Don't mess with the local women.

He paid a local guy $50/day to turn a hose on and off for him. He did not mess with the local women. He had no problems. A competitor did not follow the "two rules." When they came back one morning, their equipment had all been burned to the ground.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021

Iowa and West Virginia are of course on different planes in every manner of quality of life. There are pockets of destitution in every part of the US. Iowa is heads above most of Appalachia. WV has been abused by coal companies, pharmaceutical companies, and its government for over a century. It’s a tragedy.

Without taking this to the Cave, I think it’s a real fear for some that the current state government of Iowa is moving in a direction that could limit quality of life for many people in need. Additionally, some of the hot button policies don’t poll well with college educated 20 something’s that have a choice to live in Iowa or move somewhere with a different political climate when they graduate.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Iowa and West Virginia are of course on different planes in every manner of quality of life. There are pockets of destitution in every part of the US. Iowa is heads above most of Appalachia. WV has been abused by coal companies, pharmaceutical companies, and its government for over a century. It’s a tragedy.

Without taking this to the Cave, I think it’s a real fear for some that the current state government of Iowa is moving in a direction that could limit quality of life for many people in need. Additionally, some of the hot button policies don’t poll well with college educated 20 something’s that have a choice to live in Iowa or move somewhere with a different political climate when they graduate.
I agree with this, and your whole 2nd paragraph.

But because of how Iowa's economy is structured, it's really, really unlikely that it will see the same kind of cratering you've seen in Appalachia, despite it's increasingly bad political situation.

There are more people who simply don't care about, or don't make their big life decisions on the basis of state level politics than those who do. West Virginia's population decline and subsequent cultural decay has more to do with their singular reliance on coal than anything else.

Reactions: MugNight

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Anecdotally, I'm exposed to some WV-based organizations supporting economic development in the region. Many of the "advanced tech" startups are still focused on, you guessed it, alternative uses for coal.

Obviously you have to play the hand you were dealt to an extent, but it's indicative of the type of thing that plays well politically in WV and why it will be hard for them to dig out of this with non-coal solutions.

Traveling through WV is eye opening. Incredible natural beauty that could be a prime tourist location if it weren't littered with junk and depressed/abandoned homes. Well, besides the pastors' homes, those usually look decent.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I agree with this, and your whole 2nd paragraph.

But because of how Iowa's economy is structured, it's really, really unlikely that it will see the same kind of cratering you've seen in Appalachia, despite it's increasingly bad political situation.

There are more people who simply don't care about, or don't make their big life decisions on the basis of state level politics than those who do. West Virginia's population decline and subsequent cultural decay has more to do with their singular reliance on coal than anything else.
What’s so crazy is that in an alternate history WV is like a mini texas. For decades WV coal powered the country and Industrial Revolution. The problem is that’s almost all that wealth that was made off of coal was shipped out of WV. Add in the other ways they screwed over coal workers with things like scripts and the inability to switch jobs and you get the problem you have today.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Not sure but he does for his Major. 400 hours of Work Study in something tied to his Major.
Work-Study is a federal "program" that pays a percentage of a qualifying student's wages. The job I hire students for does not need to be work-study, but if the student is qualified, I definitely will use that program for part of the hourly wage.
https://financialaid.iastate.edu/types-of-aid/student-employment/work-study/

Edit: just found this on the animal ecology page. Look at third main paragraph for the 400 hours info. Work or study, not work-study.

Last edited:

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yes. Drastically. Maybe the absolute worst part of Iowa would appear like an average WV community. Across the board, it's not even close.

This board is absolutely ridiculous sometimes.
Having spent some solid time in WV, I'd say it's more on par to compare it to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Beautiful areas with abandoned towns after the mining ran out.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
What’s so crazy is that in an alternate history WV is like a mini texas. For decades WV coal powered the country and Industrial Revolution. The problem is that’s almost all that wealth that was made off of coal was shipped out of WV. Add in the other ways they screwed over coal workers with things like scripts and the inability to switch jobs and you get the problem you have today.

Don't forget the company towns and the war we fought against the miners.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

That's what I noticed in the bit I watched. All that wealth just plundered and stolen from the state. All of it going back into the company town and not into the broader local economy. Jobs and livelihoods entirely dependent on coal so when they leave, everything falls apart.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Work-Study is a federal "program" that pays a percentage of a qualifying student's wages. The job I hire students for does not need to be work-study, but if the student is qualified, I definitely will use that program for part of the hourly wage.
https://financialaid.iastate.edu/types-of-aid/student-employment/work-study/

Edit: just found this on the animal ecology page. Look at third main paragraph for the 400 hours info. Work or study, not work-study.
That is what I meant, not a job but either work, or Study or volunteer hours within his field of study.

Reactions: NWICY and Ms3r4ISU