WVU Appears to be in Trouble

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
What’s so crazy is that in an alternate history WV is like a mini texas. For decades WV coal powered the country and Industrial Revolution. The problem is that’s almost all that wealth that was made off of coal was shipped out of WV. Add in the other ways they screwed over coal workers with things like scripts and the inability to switch jobs and you get the problem you have today.
Don't forget forestry. But, that's another dried up industry here. WV was, however, just awarded a sizable chunk of a massive government contract to research hydrogen as an alternative fuel source. Odd, but true.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and MugNight

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Don't forget forestry. But, that's another dried up industry here. WV was, however, just awarded a sizable chunk of a massive government contract to research hydrogen as an alternative fuel source. Odd, but true.
Makes sense as it’s most likely dangerous work, sad but it does make sense.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
From outside looking in, it seems like alternative energy is a tolerable segue from coal. But anecdotally I’ve seen the pendulum swing in the opposite way, with any “clean” alternative painted as public enemy #1 to coal miners. Usually this messaging is parroted by the folks who stand to lose the most $ when coal goes away, the people at the top.

I’m not from WV but grew up close to Appalachia. It’s a misunderstood, complex area. Lots of people end up working where their dad did and his dad before him. Change is scary. I’m sure it feels like an existential threat to some.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We have a high schooler and I’m struggling with this right now. Do we encourage him to stay at home and get the gen Ed’s done locally, or do we send him away and experience the full college experience? I know the friends and experiences I had in the dorms those first two years are something that I wouldn’t trade for anything. So is the money saved worth missing out on those opportunities?
Want my answer? I did that. Saved money and traded away the experience for the CC route. Looking back, I often think I did miss out some and didn't have enough experiences I wished I had. Even if you live somewhere else to attend a CC, it's still not the same as dorms or just being at a 4-year college in terms of opportunities, clubs, people, etc. Not even remotely in the same world. Two completely, totally different environments. Don't count on staying home to with most of your high school friends around, too -- they probably won't be around either. They'll largely be out at other schools.

On the other hand, yes, my loan pile is considerably smaller. That does make my life easier now. I still got the schooling I wanted. I still got done in 4 years (I didn't get to take very many fun gen-eds as a side effect of CC, but whatever). Still got my STEM degree and job after and whatnot. I still made friends and still did stuff and still did fine... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like I definitely missed out on quite a bit of life experience in order to chase money savings.

For your situation, if grades or school habits matter, that's the one place where CC does excel ahead of 4-years. CCs will take care of kids and help them better early on, or at least that's what I thought and saw of it. No giant lecture hall crap for entry classes, a lot less filter-out class type stuff at CCs. It's all treated basically the same there and they can help build skills and study habits. That's not to say you can't also find those resources at a 4-year, obviously you can, but it may be easier to work with at a CC. At the end of the day, it all transfers in the same.

Last edited:

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
Living in WV, I believe the problem runs much deeper. The average income here is deplorable. The work ethic for the younger generation is deplorable. The drug problem for the younger people is ... you guessed it: deplorable. I was just commenting this morning to my wife. For the past 40 years, I haven't seen any high schoolers working at local restaurants as both her and I did. Or anywhere for that matter. What am I missing. What changed? Local communities such as mine are feverishly trying to figure it out in an era of increasing budget cuts. I've been a free market type of person my whole life, but even I can see where it's now failing the necessary educational needs. Here, at least. Maybe not so much elsewhere. I'm going to stay glued to this thread as I'm hoping others throughout the country have faced similar woes, but have figured it out. Please voice your solution.
We haven't been a true free market in a long time. I won't get into it any deeper, otherwise to the cave we go

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That's what I noticed in the bit I watched. All that wealth just plundered and stolen from the state. All of it going back into the company town and not into the broader local economy. Jobs and livelihoods entirely dependent on coal so when they leave, everything falls apart.
Reminds me a lot of the "resource curse", similar to a lot of places in Africa that are "blessed" with valuable natural resources. Finding those resources before having strong governmental institutions in place usually results in exploitation by powerful folks fighting over the spoils.

Is it too late in the coal life cycle to try to set up a sovereign fund like Sweden or Alaska for the benefit of the population? Disclaimer- I have no idea how WV taxes (or doesn't) their mining industries.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Reminds me a lot of the "resource curse", similar to a lot of places in Africa that are "blessed" with valuable natural resources. Finding those resources before having strong governmental institutions in place usually results in exploitation by powerful folks fighting over the spoils.

Is it too late in the coal life cycle to try to set up a sovereign fund like Sweden or Alaska for the benefit of the population? Disclaimer- I have no idea how WV taxes (or doesn't) their mining industries.

That's exactly it. Reminded me a lot of colonizers setups where they come in and strip the land of its value (either pre government or by undue influence on government) then leave shambles and lots of pollution when they leave.

Reactions: CycloneErik

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That's searchable, so go ahead and post a name for that.

Closest I can find with a Professor title (including distinguished) is a Finance guy at $322k. Mostly engineering or ag that high. Ag Econ at $330k and $305k. Now if it is perhaps a Dean, could be. Haven't looked at those. But if he's retired, may not show in the list now.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Closest I can find with a Professor title (including distinguished) is a Finance guy at $322k. Mostly engineering or ag that high. Ag Econ at $330k and $305k. Now if it is perhaps a Dean, could be. Haven't looked at those. But if he's retired, may not show in the list now.

Yup, that's what I saw as well.
On the big ifs that a prof at ISU makes that, it's in a discipline where they're bringing in millions of dollars of grants over their careers. It's not a common experience like our champ wanted to paint.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Citizens, not workers

I couldn't agree more!

But (always the but) if Iowa is investing in citizens and they all leave the state then the ROI isn't great for Iowa.

I'm completely in your camp here. I HIGHLY value a college education and the college experience.

From a Devil's Advocate perspective what's in it for an Iowa or West Virginia if the kids pack up and leave?

Higher education can be used to help change the direction of a state's economy. In a few different directions
Why do we have entrance requirements if it’s for citizens and not workers? Do we only want the smarter people to be better citizens? Seems a little backwards in that logic.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Why do we have entrance requirements if it’s for citizens and not workers? Do we only want the smarter people to be better citizens? Seems a little backwards in that logic.
I would be all for changing that too. You are willing to start a new life here with only your work ethic and clothes on your back? We could use those people. Many of us are here solely because our ancestors stepped on a boat at a time when that's all it took to get in.

From a practical standpoint, it's one thing to invest in the education of people who you are paying for either way and another to invest in those choosing to come. But I would absolutely be in favor of removing hurdles for those who want to come here.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I would be all for changing that too. You are willing to start a new life here with only your work ethic and clothes on your back? We could use those people. Many of us are here solely because our ancestors stepped on a boat at a time when that's all it took to get in.

From a practical standpoint, it's one thing to invest in the education of people who you are paying for either way and another to invest in those choosing to come. But I would absolutely be in favor of removing hurdles for those who want to come here.

Heck, yeah. Make it an opportunity rather than a closed door.

Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If all you think they should offer or emphasize is "high end trades" you are ignoring the true calling of a university...a WELL-ROUNDED education.
A lot of the well rounded part has been killed by online degrees. A big part of college is interaction, maturing, and dealing with people. That doesn’t happen with the online classes I or my kids have been involved with.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Heck, yeah. Make it an opportunity rather than a closed door.

But not everyone needs or is capable of 4 years of college either. What is it only a third of jobs even need a 4 year degree?

Maybe high school should be a year longer to have the time to get that more well rounded education??

Maybe mandatory service? A year in the armed forces or civilian construction corps or something. Works for the Swiss and the Israelis.

The Germans do secondary education different, with separate schools for trade path vs college path. Maybe thats an option?

Reactions: GoldCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron