Yormark nuggets from WBB/MBB Media Days

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
20 Big 12 games is going to make some other "major" conference schedules effectively a minor league.

Committee better adjust and realize 8-12 league teams should be easily in the dance in a tough year.

Keeping tournament in sold out KC is good, Utah fans are ignorant morons on about everything. The football CCG bouncing around can be good. Don't want it somewhere cold/outdoors, don't want it permanently in Texas. Vegas and Phoenix could host sometimes and it'd probably be good.

KC is still somewhat central for the conference and we already made the mistake of trying it in Texas/Oklahoma.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
KC is also still very close to the geographic center of the conference, which is somewhere near Oklahoma City.

When it comes to proximity, putting the tournament in Vegas (farther west than literally every school in the conference) would be akin to putting it in Washington DC or Charlotte NC.

View attachment 118129

Pac fans claim to looooooooove Vegas for basketball tournament, but Arizona takes it over way more than KU/ISU/KSU individually take over KC individually. My neighbor has attended regularly (5 hour drive from here) and claims the games aren't always sellouts but it's 80% Arizona fans.

It's not like Utah fans flood the place, they just run their mouths as usual.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, but they don't have near the cache as Texas, so good luck with that. The tournament in Vegas is just another thing that happens in that city on any given weekend. In KC it's a huge event in close proximity to very passionate fan bases. Glad Yormark is smart enough to see that.

Arizona fans outnumber them in Vegas 20 to 1 for that tournament. They suck.

• Informative

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Why wouldn't Utah fans want the MBB Tournament to continue in Vegas? It's the most drivable location for their fans. No different than reasoning Cyclone fans want the tournament to stay in KC. I love the idea of keeping the MBB Tourney in KC, but starting next year 8 of the new Big12 won't have experienced KC for hoops. IMO taking a "my way or highway" approach is wrong with the new members.

If we are looking to the future, some change/compromise is necessary. I've said it in other posts, I wouldn't mind the FB championship to be rotated between Dallas, Phoenix or Denver. With hoops a rotation of KC, Denver or Phoenix might be good on a trial basis. But the later two have big shoes to fill for a permanent rotation.

For football I think Dallas, Vegas, Phoenix and maybe even Denver is fine to try.

For basketball Denver wouldn't sell out like KC does. Phoenix would sell out but because of one team's big fandom and some passionate ISU/KSU/KU fans going there the same way they go to KC so why make them fly to Phoenix? Vegas would sell out but not because of Utah fans who don't really go to Vegas now when their tournament is already there, it'd be the same 4 fan bases filling Vegas or KC, Arizona will travel to KC.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And how many Utah fans would attend the tourney if it was in their backyard anyway? They can't even sell out their home arena. KC is more central for the majority of the conference (don't forget at UCF/West Virginia/Cincy on the other side now). Denver/Phoenix/Vegas would be further for the majority of conference teams, and especially ones that will actually bring fans.

Beyond that, Power & Light and the way KC goes all out for the tourney makes it the obvious choice.

The Pac tourney in Vegas is the Arizona Invitational. Utah fans already don't go.

• Informative

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Utah fans seem to be on track as being the new Texas/OU for being the new guys who think the league should revolve around them.

So Utah actually has a basketball program and there are people who care about Utah basketball? Huh…. Learn something new everyday

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
For football I think Dallas, Vegas, Phoenix and maybe even Denver is fine to try.

For basketball Denver wouldn't sell out like KC does. Phoenix would sell out but because of one team's big fandom and some passionate ISU/KSU/KU fans going there the same way they go to KC so why make them fly to Phoenix? Vegas would sell out but not because of Utah fans who don't really go to Vegas now when their tournament is already there, it'd be the same 4 fan bases filling Vegas or KC, Arizona will travel to KC.
You can’t do Denver for football in December. You just don’t know what weather you are going to get. I don’t see any way you convince the suits to ever have that game outdoors unless it’s in the south and even then unlikely.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Ive been to KC tournament twice. And i am in Vegas right now.

Bball tourney here wouldnt even move the needle, no one would know its happening. In KC, it runs the whole town for 4 days.

Vegas is a great place to see a show and gamble and drop 5k in a weekend. But if you actually want to watch bball, KC wins hands down.

Maybe Vegas is a better choice for folks that know their team will only play once and then they need to gamble and see Donnie and Marie to keep busy afterwards.

Reactions: MugNight and NWICY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So Utah actually has a basketball program and there are people who care about Utah basketball? Huh…. Learn something new everyday
Rick Majerus still coaching there? He was the last time i heard about Utah bball.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
  • Informative

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
All the 4 corner schools, particularly Arizona, wants Vegas. I wouldn't mind doing 1 game there, 3 games KC rotation. No games in OK or Texas as they don't have the attendance like KU, ISU, or KSU, where the fans show up whether the team is good or bad.

Fu*ck Vegas, the lazy cocks*ckers probably won't travel anyway ,

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I can understand how someone who has never been to KC for the tourney would suggest Vegas, its not a moronic idea. However, the most important and telling part of his statement is "I haven't been to KC".

I suspect he will change his mind after attending once. As long as at least 1 of KU, ISU, or KSU is playing in semi's.
Utah people won’t attend, because they won’t be competitive.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why wouldn't Utah fans want the MBB Tournament to continue in Vegas? It's the most drivable location for their fans. No different than reasoning Cyclone fans want the tournament to stay in KC. I love the idea of keeping the MBB Tourney in KC, but starting next year 8 of the new Big12 won't have experienced KC for hoops. IMO taking a "my way or highway" approach is wrong with the new members.

If we are looking to the future, some change/compromise is necessary. I've said it in other posts, I wouldn't mind the FB championship to be rotated between Dallas, Phoenix or Denver. With hoops a rotation of KC, Denver or Phoenix might be good on a trial basis. But the later two have big shoes to fill for a permanent rotation.

Great let's bow down to Utah like they are TX
Screw that idea.

Reactions: jsb

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Vegas seems like a non-starter to me for the simple reason it's west of EVERYBODY. It makes more sense to be along I-70 - Denver, KC, possibly St. louis. Dallas would be a possibility. If you have a conference spanning 4 time zones, lots of things aren't going to be driving distance.

We've done Dallas it was a FAILURE.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC