Yormark nuggets from WBB/MBB Media Days

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would be totally ok rotating that between Cowboys, Raiders, and Cardinals stadiums. December in Tempe sounds pretty nice

That'd be a nice blend. Maybe throw in Houston.

Basketball should stay in KC forever.

It's a unique event and an endowment from the past with the New Big 12 inheriting the old Big Eight tournament even if the number of teams has doubled and many of them have changed.

Never go away from it. Keep that premier live event. The KC backdrop makes for great TV, too.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Big Ten experimented with have theirs in D.C. one year and NY the next. Now they are back to having it in the Midwest. Going to be in Mpls this year and probably alternating between that and Chicago and Indy. New west coast peeps will probably want it in LA or something. Lot's of luck with that.

You should never have a college event in Chicago either. People do not care there.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
I just think that whoever owns football rights would complain about what they're paying if they lose basketball rights, which are 'free' currently. I don't know the ins and outs but it seems like a fairly obvious complaint to see if that occurs.
I just worry that if he splits them, we're only get offered 30 mil instead of 40 mil for football and it's just a wash.
I think this may be what BY means when he says bball is undervalued. Getting bball for "free" indicates something is being left on the table. If he can leverage the product of Big 12 bball to different networks that aren't interested in the money and production that comes with fball then it might be worth it. He said they would look at splitting the contracts if the money is right. If splitting them means 10 mil less from Fox/ESPN but 12 mil from other partners for bball then the money probably isn't worth the hassle of running separate contracts and it indicates they are not currently getting bball "free". But if bball is really "free" and the current networks are just bidding on fball then why not take that product elsewhere to sell it. Separating the contracts also makes it easier to bring in a school like Gonzaga.

Reactions: DukeofStratford

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think this may be what BY means when he says bball is undervalued. Getting bball for "free" indicates something is being left on the table. If he can leverage the product of Big 12 bball to different networks that aren't interested in the money and production that comes with fball then it might be worth it. He said they would look at splitting the contracts if the money is right. If splitting them means 10 mil less from Fox/ESPN but 12 mil from other partners for bball then the money probably isn't worth the hassle of running separate contracts and it indicates they are not currently getting bball "free". But if bball is really "free" and the current networks are just bidding on fball then why not take that product elsewhere to sell it. Separating the contracts also makes it easier to bring in a school like Gonzaga.
If they can make it happen of course, I just have little faith in the media partners giving us a fair shake. Maybe if Amazon or Turner wants the content but we know ESPN will go out of their way to **** us over.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
If they can make it happen of course, I just have little faith in the media partners giving us a fair shake. Maybe if Amazon or Turner wants the content but we know ESPN will go out of their way to **** us over.
Oh absolutely in the past ESPN has tried to screw us. I fully believe their intentions with OU and Texa$$ going to the SEC was to kill the big 12 and get the brands they liked to join the Pac 12 at a discounted rate. That didn't work out how they planned. They then settled for their next best option, kill the pac12 and get as many as possible into the big 12. It seems these media "partners" are trying to condense their inventory while still controlling the majority of the revenue. I think this works in our favor as Espn now has no other option for games later in the evening but the big 12.

What I like about our current deal is it seems better diversified than B1G and SEC. If BY can separate bball from fball and bring in more money/schools and different media "partners" I think it will diversify and there by stabilize the conference more than it already is.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why wouldn't Utah fans want the MBB Tournament to continue in Vegas? It's the most drivable location for their fans. No different than reasoning Cyclone fans want the tournament to stay in KC. I love the idea of keeping the MBB Tourney in KC, but starting next year 8 of the new Big12 won't have experienced KC for hoops. IMO taking a "my way or highway" approach is wrong with the new members.

If we are looking to the future, some change/compromise is necessary. I've said it in other posts, I wouldn't mind the FB championship to be rotated between Dallas, Phoenix or Denver. With hoops a rotation of KC, Denver or Phoenix might be good on a trial basis. But the later two have big shoes to fill for a permanent rotation.
Only 4 will not have experienced KC next year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Oh absolutely in the past ESPN has tried to screw us. I fully believe their intentions with OU and Texa$$ going to the SEC was to kill the big 12 and get the brands they liked to join the Pac 12 at a discounted rate. That didn't work out how they planned. They then settled for their next best option, kill the pac12 and get as many as possible into the big 12. It seems these media "partners" are trying to condense their inventory while still controlling the majority of the revenue. I think this works in our favor as Espn now has no other option for games later in the evening but the big 12.

What I like about our current deal is it seems better diversified than B1G and SEC. If BY can separate bball from fball and bring in more money/schools and different media "partners" I think it will diversify and there by stabilize the conference more than it already is.
I worry about the next round of negotiations. We took a hit for the PAC members too join us like it was buying us future clout with the media partners but what would make anyone think they're going to give us more money later just because of that? It might have been necessary to concede that money for our immediate survival but I just can't see them giving us more than we're worth next time around because we were nice last time.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I worry about the next round of negotiations. We took a hit for the PAC members too join us like it was buying us future clout with the media partners but what would make anyone think they're going to give us more money later just because of that? It might have been necessary to concede that money for our immediate survival but I just can't see them giving us more than we're worth next time around because we were nice last time.
A lot can happen. Who knows what sort of Sabre rattling we see from the likes of Clemson and FSU these next few years?

The elephant in the room is that the big boys like Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, UGA, Bama, etc will one day wonder why Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, Miss St, Vanderbilt are being paid the same as they are. I think a movement toward unequal revenue sharing will have seismic implications. There will be fallout.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That was then.

2023 has been weak at best for the remaining teams.

The 2022 championship blow the **** out will be 9 years gone by the time we get "another bite of the apple"

The remaining teams have not been good.
Parody does not mean teams are not good

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Utah fans seem to be on track as being the new Texas/OU for being the new guys who think the league should revolve around them.

Moving the conference tourney to Vegas is a sure fire way to make attendance drop significantly. The guy who posted that is an idiot. It would be nice for fans of the UT and AZ schools due to proximity but there’s no way they make up for the volume of ISU, KU and KSU fans. We saw that in Dallas when we still had A&M in the conference. There’s a reason why the old NBA scout Marty Blake always chose to attend the Big 8 tournament, it was simply the best and that has carried on with the Big 12 tourney in KC.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Our new AD says a new powerhouse rivalry between BYU and Utah may be coming to the Big 12. That's probably right, but there wouldn't even be a Big 12 if the hateful eight hadn't hung together to survive the departure of OU and UT. I would like to hear from him about how to bring more attention to those of us who suffered through the uncertainty of realignment and how we can bring more visibility to our current group of schools who not only saved a conference, but INVITED BYU and Utah to join. Talking about them as the new premier rivalry, in my opinion, disses the eight who made this happen.

I don't know, this comment just hit me wrong.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You should never have a college event in Chicago either. People do not care there.

Not sure if serious or not. People care a lot in Chicago, just not about NW/IL.

I think B10 has success in Indy but their events do well in Chicago too and the NCAA tournament does fine there. It's not some dramatic dropoff like when the Big 12 has tried the tourney outside of KC.

We could try it in Vegas once in a while, if it works as well as KC rotate it in every 3 or 4 years so those teams get a closer destination and KU/ISU fans vacation there. Doesn't make sense to have it permanently so far away from most teams when you have a guaranteed sold out location in the center.

B12 gets some credit for trying Texas/OKC and then realizing they should just go back to KC. It's fine to try, but go back to what works if the new thing doesn't work.