David Irving

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Just out of curiosity for those that have watched him play at Dallas, is he often/at all talked about as an ISU guy? I watched a little bit of his game last night and he's a damn good football player. He looks even bigger now then he did just 2 years ago.

I watch nearly all of their games and they rarely talk about a Dallas Defensive lineman unless his name is Randy Gregory or Demarcus Lawrence and its for the wrong reason. Irving has been playing situational snaps - as such he's only getting about 1/3 of the snaps of the other defensive starters and Marinelli preaches line rotations to keep them fresh. When he entered on Sunday Night, he was obviously fresh and knew they were in passing situations. That said, he totally dominated their last two-three drives. Although they ran a screen behind him, that had Byron Jones not made a great play may have gone to the house....Glad to see him developing and the bigger threat he poses, the better that Defense can be....

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I watch nearly all of their games and they rarely talk about a Dallas Defensive lineman unless his name is Randy Gregory or Demarcus Lawrence and its for the wrong reason. Irving has been playing situational snaps - as such he's only getting about 1/3 of the snaps of the other defensive starters and Marinelli preaches line rotations to keep them fresh. When he entered on Sunday Night, he was obviously fresh and knew they were in passing situations. That said, he totally dominated their last two-three drives. Although they ran a screen behind him, that had Byron Jones not made a great play may have gone to the house....Glad to see him developing and the bigger threat he poses, the better that Defense can be....

Ok. I guess I was thinking that he played more. I just caught the last little bit of the game yesterday and he absolutely looked like he belonged.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
He's way bigger and obviously improved a ton since he left ISU. Kinda surprised / mad the Chiefs didn't keep him.
I think the Cowboys signed him off the Chiefs practice squad. Guess Chiefs could have put him on the active roster instead of losing him at that point but I guess they didn't think he was ready yet.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Ok. I guess I was thinking that he played more. I just caught the last little bit of the game yesterday and he absolutely looked like he belonged.

He's in their pass rush package. I'd bet on the role increasing quite a bit next year, he's gotten strong enough to defend the run. If he keeps improving he could be a star player, Collinsworth said he reminding of Bruce Smith at times.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
r
He's in their pass rush package. I'd bet on the role increasing quite a bit next year, he's gotten strong enough to defend the run. If he keeps improving he could be a star player, Collinsworth said he reminding of Bruce Smith at times.

Agreed - i wasn't downplaying him at all.... He rotates into the DT spots too so he has a lot of flexibility. Hopefully same thing that happened to George Selvie don't happen with David Irving... Had a great season with Dallas signed a big contract elsewhere - haven't heard from him since....

Davids ceiling is so high, he's just developing into a force. Those arms are just a weapon, he can get up on those OT quick and then the club was obviously vicious. I've never seen a OT benched in the fourth quarter over a 5 play butt whopping... probably right choice though...

Hope he continues to develop - we have desperately needed a pass rush end since Ware left....

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
r

Agreed - i wasn't downplaying him at all.... He rotates into the DT spots too so he has a lot of flexibility. Hopefully same thing that happened to George Selvie don't happen with David Irving... Had a great season with Dallas signed a big contract elsewhere - haven't heard from him since....

Davids ceiling is so high, he's just developing into a force. Those arms are just a weapon, he can get up on those OT quick and then the club was obviously vicious. I've never seen a OT benched in the fourth quarter over a 5 play butt whopping... probably right choice though...

Hope he continues to develop - we have desperately needed a pass rush end since Ware left....

I think I posted this last time but he's 10x faster and more explosive than he ever was at ISU. Off the field stuff aside the improvement in just a few years is impressive. He's coming along at the perfect time too, who knows if Gregory ever gets his act together. They need a good young DE.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I think I posted this last time but he's 10x faster and more explosive than he ever was at ISU. Off the field stuff aside the improvement in just a few years is impressive. He's coming along at the perfect time too, who knows if Gregory ever gets his act together. They need a good young DE.

And he's an ERFA after the season, so we can basically get to keep him for next year. That'll give him time to prove he's worth a decent contract.

Reactions: KMAC_ATTACK

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

No doubt - although there were signs even in his Junior year that he could be special. The play against TCU and had he and Coe not gotten into trouble off the field - they would have improved our DL tremendously that year!!!!

Love to reach out to my hawk friends that are Cowboys fans about his play. Even had one say last night that he's his favorite Clone of all time!!!!

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Just out of curiosity for those that have watched him play at Dallas, is he often/at all talked about as an ISU guy? I watched a little bit of his game last night and he's a damn good football player. He looks even bigger now then he did just 2 years ago.
Local media doesnt seem to know where he went to school. Ive never heard anyone mention him and Iowa State together since he signed here.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Collinsworth LOVES DI. He's mentioned him in three games Dallas has played.

Have you guys not seen the Tweet DI made clowning ISU? When asked about Dallas's record he said (paraphrasing) "Winning is new to me...I went to Iowa State". He tweeted that out about three weeks ago...Zeke retweeted, said it made him laugh. Me too!

• Funny
Reactions: Peter

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Saw the 230lbs in the article and shat, he looks three bills and like some sort of manbeast. Looks like he is officially listed between 270 and 280.

It's too bad he and Coe couldn't get their **** together.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
It's too bad he and Coe couldn't get their **** together.

Yeah, could have been a totally different D-Line that year. While I'm glad David Irving seems to have gotten his act together and is doing well in the NFL, I totally agree with the decision to kick him off the team when CPR did.