COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You need a time machine because you are stuck in 2010 where big markets mattered. Viewership is what matters today, not TV markets. And attendance is a proxy for viewership. ISU has shown they have fans who will watch. ISU is an up and coming program that gets viewers. If you listen to people outside of Iowa you would understand this. But Iowa fans think that ISU is worthless and ISU fans have too many memories of getting kicked in the nuts.
The idea that big markets and viewers don't matter is the dumbest ******* thing I've heard. That's exactly what its about. You can pretend they're interested in loyal fans I stead of money if it makes you feel better I guess. If that meant anything there'd be conferences beating down our door now.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The idea that big markets and viewers don't matter is the dumbest ******* thing I've heard. That's exactly what its about. You can pretend they're interested in loyal fans I stead of money if it makes you feel better I guess

Rutgers resides in a TV market that completely dwarfs ISU's TV market.... yet WAY more ISU fans will pay the subscription price to stream ISU football than Rutgers fans will.... so little old ISU is a lot more attractive.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Rutgers resides in a TV market that completely dwarfs ISU's TV market.... yet WAY more ISU fans will pay the subscription price to stream ISU football than Rutgers fans will.... so little old ISU is a lot more attractive.
It's the ad revenue and other revenue you add by being in NY. Loyal fans don't mean **** if you dont have a big fan base. I guess I don't know what some of you are seeing that leads you to believe they don't care of they are in larger markets. Just the idea that they have a footprint in NYC is huge for them.

Last edited:

Mar 21, 2021
I'm reminded of classic line from a song, too: 'the day......the music.....died.....'
Did Texas get McConaughey's OK on this?

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Any thoughts on what this says about the state of college football?

For the University of Hawaii, attendance has dropped from about 30-40k per game in the 80's and early 90's to 20-30k per game recently. The population on Oahu (the island where UH plays) has increased during that time period and there hasn't been a major fall sport added to the island during that time period.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny

For the University of Hawaii, attendance has dropped from about 30-40k per game in the 80's and early 90's to 20-30k per game recently. The population on Oahu (the island where UH plays) has increased during that time period and there hasn't been a major fall sport added to the island during that time period.
This may not be a fair comparison. When I went to Hawaii a few years a go, I was told that many people work multiple jobs just to get by. They said that was part of the price of living in paradise. Going to a football game is hard when you need to pay your bills first and time is at a premium when working all the time. The other time there are more important things like surfing LOL.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

People don't give a s**t anymore.... and this SEC thing will only increase that. This could all backfire on CFB big time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's the ad revenue and other revenue you add by being in NY. Loyal fans don't mean **** if you dont have a big fan base. I guess I don't know what some of you are seeing that leads you to believe they don't care of they are in larger markets. Just the idea that they have a footprint in NYC is huge for them.

Nobody in NY gives a crap about Rutgers football.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
ISU vs. Nebraska. ISU vs. Minnesota. ISU vs. Wisconsin.

ISU is in a position to create their own destiny. Win the Big 12. Make CFP. Iowa State is in so much better shape today. Iowa State to Big Ten. Perfect geographic fit. Perfect academic fit. Perfect culture fit.

0 money fit and that's all that matters

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
You need to adjust the rabbit ears on your antenna grandpa because that’s not how any of this works anymore. You’ve been beating this point into the ground for days and literally no one agrees with you.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's the ad revenue and other revenue you add by being in NY. Loyal fans don't mean **** if you dont have a big fan base. I guess I don't know what some of you are seeing that leads you to believe they don't care of they are in larger markets.
You have no idea how this works. Ads only have value if people watch. Not to mention the days of the money being made off of cable and satellite packages whether or not people watch are dying.

Whether it’s subscription dollars or ad dollars all that matters is how many people watch. You can be in the biggest market in the world. If people don’t watch you have zero value. TCU is in a huge market, so is Houston. By your reasoning people should be falling all over themselves to add these teams, but they aren’t. Because not enough people watch to drive subscription or ad value.

Rutgers is worthless in the next media deals.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
This may not be a fair comparison. When I went to Hawaii a few years a go, I was told that many people work multiple jobs just to get by. They said that was part of the price of living in paradise. Going to a football game is hard when you need to pay your bills first and time is at a premium when working all the time. The other time there are more important things like surfing LOL.
Yes, a lot of people in Hawaii work multiple jobs so time is at a premium, but I know a lot of people who spend lots of time watching the NFL and other tv sports, participating in NFL fantasy leagues or watching various tv shows while also doing stuff outdoors. If football is such a big time sport, wouldn't people want to see the highest level available in person instead of watching TV? I think college football actually is a big time sport, but certain areas have become less interested in attending games in person for some reason.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You have no idea how this works. Ads only have value if people watch. Not to mention the days of the money being made off of cable and satellite packages whether or not people watch are dying.

Whether it’s subscription dollars or ad dollars all that matters is how many people watch. You can be in the biggest market in the world. If people don’t watch you have zero value. TCU is in a huge market, so is Houston. By your reasoning people should be falling all over themselves to add these teams, but they aren’t. Because not enough people watch to drive subscription or ad value.

ISU fans seem to be the only fans who don't know how this works. It's about cornering large markets. Always has been.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020

Good points!

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
B1G Ten should add ISU, KU, KSU and WV. Then you can split into 9 and 9 with Illinois Indiana border splitting the East and West
WV feels like it belongs in the ACC. Send KU down to a group of five where they can still dominate in basketball and maybe go 5-7 in football.

Reactions: STLISU

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
ISU fans seem to be the only fans who don't know how this works. It's about cornering large markets. Always has been.

Rutgers is in probably the largest TV market in the country and adds absolutely NOTHING to the B1G.... and they wish now that they had never added them.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Rutgers is in probably the largest TV market in the country and adds absolutely NOTHING to the B1G.... and they wish now that they had never added them.
I expect with Schiano back they'll start winning some games. Winning fixes a lot of that. I think they have a top 15 class right now.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
So by your reasoning Houston and TCU are really valuable. So do they go to the Big10 or SEC?

Help Support Us

Become a patron