Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

D

Deleted member 51515

I don't spend any time listening to audio or video of JP or GB, so it is impossible to contrast previous video announcements. With that said, JP seemed to be intentionally slow with his words. He did not sound confident. Again, I don't know if this is usual for him or not.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I don't spend any time listening to audio or video of JP or GB, so it is impossible to contrast previous video announcements. With that said, JP seemed to be intentionally slow with his words. He did not sound confident. Again, I don't know if this is usual for him or not.
Teleprompter was slow.... it was all read from a script.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It's a game of chicken and Texas and Oklahoma know that.

So the question becomes what sort of deal would the 8 remaining schools take? Half of what they owe? 1/4?

Well, in this game of chicken OU and UT are driving a Ford f350 with a 6.7 powerstroke diesel and ISU is driving a Prius. Oh ISU can puff it's chest and say "we can do this all day because look.....we run on batteries" and OU/UT will just say "that's cute.....and after we run you over we'll make sure we put that on your headstone".

You don't think OU/UT haven't thought this through?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

He always speaks at that pace in these videos. I usually play it at 1.25x speed.

Really what can he say at this point? Everything is so fluid.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He’s always got some awkwardness when he speaks publicly like this. This was ratcheted up a a couple levels but wasn’t out of character.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Less of a stretch from this statement.

It'd be interesting to see 'how' they come up with that type of money. And, again, if they do it for these two, I'd expect they'd have to budget the same for ALL big names they hope to poach. ESPN, I do not believe will have the money to back these types of moves immediately. So, again, this is a work in progress as JP alluded to. And, again, this is NOT something to borrow for at this point.

Reactions: aauummm

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The big thing I got out of it was that they needed to speed up the teleprompter because Jamie was having to take way too many awkward pauses waiting for it to catch up to him.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
"We decided to forgive all debt for four years if the Big 12 would allow us to do a Horns Down"

Jamie Pollard...probably.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
This wasn't a talk at a fundraiser, per rally, or a radio interview. It was an important statement on the future of ISU. It had to be slow and concise. That is public speaking 101.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This was 100% directed at the Traitors. There’s huge $ at stake here and the 8 need to squeeze everything they can get. Don’t rule out some kind of tortious interference claim against the SEC as well. Slinking around in the background, manipulating events and trying to cause contracts to be prematurely canceled makes for a strong claim by those injured.

The bolded is what strongly comes through in the OkSU pres' statement. Maybe OkSU has some proof of this occurring; otherwise her statement is almost libelous. I'm guessing UT and OU were smart enough to not carry out any prior talks with the SEC on university email or other methods that could be obtained via open records requests, but you never know.

And, if as some claim, ESPN has been pulling strings behind all of this, they may find themselves in a lawsuit as well.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
But how does it make sense for existing SEC schools to add 2 new members and there isn't incremental TV rights? CBS still has their deal for 3-4 years.

The only way it would make sense is if ESPN feels it can reduce its Big12 media rights. I see lawyers all over that.

CBS has deal thru 2023...That’s two more years... but as it stands right now SEC teams make $45-$50 mil per team right now anyway..

You don’t think Tx and OU adding to that content increases its value? U bet it does... Not only that but ESPN likely told Tx and OU that they will be assured “x” $$ if they join in 2022 or 2023..

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Just glad we don't have this guy leading us through

Bruce_Van_De_Velde%27s_headshot.jpg

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The bolded is what strongly comes through in the OkSU pres' statement. Maybe OkSU has some proof of this occurring; otherwise her statement is almost libelous. I'm guessing UT and OU were smart enough to not carry out any prior talks with the SEC on university email that can be obtained via open records requests, but you never know.

I am sure this is the case. By the sounds of it, it looks like a UT BOR has been the one doing the backroom talking with the SEC. Not sure if that shields UT at all, but I would assume a BOR would be able to have those discussions.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
He can’t possibly think waiting it out is the best option. He knows better.

The “don’t panic” and “position ISU in the best possible spot” comments are interesting

The part that I found interesting was the long pause at 2:19 where JP is talking about that every university should be evaluating where they are. I swear he almost slipped and said where they're going.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Seemed like a normal response. When Texas and OU are accepted into the SEC today and by Friday they pay their buyout this speculation will be silly. Like this will not last more than 2 weeks. The SEC is already making new schedules, has pods figured out. This is the last Big 12 season with OU and Texas.

Also, the contract literature states that if Texas and OU leave we could take a massive paycut down to like 9 million per school. We literally can’t afford that. It would throw the remaining schools into the red immediately by tens of millions of dollars.

We can’t forget that we still have to keep Campbell around, and suddenly being in the hole again after COVID doesn’t do that. Jamie has a plan, stop reading into his blinks.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
The script very well may have been lawyer written, which is why it sounded so awkward at times.

JP could have easily talked off the cuff for an hour on this topic. The fact that they used a teleprompter tells you all you need to know. This was legally prepared, and the first ISU shot over the bow.
The real discussions are just beginning privately with the B10 and Jamie certainly isn't going to talk about it now. The 'lying' comments about the video are juvenile.

Help Support Us

Become a patron