Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Iowa State is ****** if we stay in Big 12 and don’t get an invite to Big 10. Iowa State Athletics will be destroyed. College Sports are dead. Time to find an NFL team to root for.
players/recruits/ staff might leave for greener pastures. And it sounds like Big 10 doesn’t want to expand.
We were foolish not to leave back when CU, MU, and NU left.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This is the exact opposite of what i wanted this video to say...but god I hope were not just sitting buy hoping to get lucky on conference realignment. This is not going to take 4 years, at some point they SEC/UT and OKL are going to buy out this contract and its going to be all out mayhem
I’m sure Pollard is totally just sitting back hoping to get lucky. That’s totally his style.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is the exact opposite of what i wanted this video to say...but god I hope were not just sitting buy hoping to get lucky on conference realignment. This is not going to take 4 years, at some point they SEC/UT and OKL are going to buy out this contract and its going to be all out mayhem
I think you’re being a little naive.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Iowa State is ****** if we stay in Big 12 and don’t get an invite to Big 10. Iowa State Athletics will be destroyed. College Sports are dead. Time to find an NFL team to root for.
players/recruits/ staff might leave for greener pastures. And it sounds like Big 10 doesn’t want to expand.
And where exactly would ISU have left too? The Mountain West? The MAC? ISU wasn’t getting into another power 5 conference ten years ago. What a stupid take.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If the B1G does what Andy Staples suggests, taking the four California schools with Oregon and Washington, then the Big 12-Pac-12 merger would look like:

Big 12/Pac-12 West
Washington State
Oregon State
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
Texas Tech

Big 12/Pac-12 East
TCU
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia

For geographic reasons, I would not be opposed to WVU landing an ACC invitation, adding BYU to the mix here, and pushing Texas Tech to the East.

Far from terrible and I like the competitive possibilities here, but I'd guess that's still quite a drop in money for ISU and poor future implications.

• Agree
Reactions: k123

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
What choice did we have? The B1G wasn't interested then. The Big East was...boy wouldn't that have ended well. Mountain West?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It’ll be interesting to see what the B1G does, if they do. Obviously the invite there would be best case scenario. But if they end up poaching a few PAC schools instead, then there’s really no choice but for the rest of the PAC and Big12 to merge.
The B1G absolutely will do something. They have no choice, or they will become irrelevant.
First thing they need to do: Keep tOSU and Mich from wandering their eyes to the $ec. Then they need to bring in a few more teams to keep up with the $ec. Standing on the sidelines and doing nothing will lower down their status.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

What did you want them to say? Screw everyone, we're out of here? That puts ISU in the same standing as OU and UT, and lets them off the hook as the league would quickly disintegrate (and thus, no need to pay their way out).

They said exactly what they needed to say publicly. They're going to present a unified front with the remaining Big 12 to set the table for negotiations, because OU and UT are not waiting for four years. We will negotiate a landing spot quietly, behind the scenes, and the OU/UT money will help ease that transition.

Last edited:

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
He doesn't have four years to convince CMC that he's got things under control. He's got about four months before the vultures swoop in again.

...and for recruits!

"Come to ISU, play on national TV, your family can watch you in Texas and Oklahoma three times a year..." is a big selling point...

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I get you have to pay to play and keep up with your peers, but I've always wondered how all of these risks factored into sinking the money into the Jack Trice upgrades and the Multi-Use District plans before the next guaranteed conference stability and money deal - if you go from $40-mil/yr big 12 money to $8-mil/yr of C-USA money. On the other hand, this is happening 4-years before the end of this "stability" deal, so maybe it is just a meaningless word if TX and OU can always seek a small upgrade.

My bigger pessimistic take is concussions and various "woke pressures", for lack of a better term, are going to end football anyway.

I don't agree with this but seems very possible hypothetical, along the lines of:
"People are getting hurt. These injured people are disproportionately from the black minority population. They are being pressured to risk and/or injure their bodies for a chance at education so they can be cheered on by white fans. Are we any better than the Romans cheering gladiator slaves? Besides, we are glorifying toxic masculine characteristics like violence and strength and competition instead of empathy and sharing. So since football is therefore inherently inequitable and patriarchal it should be abolished." Etc etc etc. The NCAA may resist, like it did for years with the fictions about name/image/likeness, but would sponsors or advertisers?

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Uhhh that’s not CMC’s selling point to recruits. That was CPR’s. We’re not recruiting Texas as much.

Good point. Maybe that is also the "12-D chess long game vision":):rolleyes: in establishing ISUs recruiting strength in Big 10 territory (besides the more boring reason of the staff's existing familiarity...)

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get you have to pay to play and keep up with your peers, but I've always wondered how all of these risks factored into sinking the money into the Jack Trice upgrades and the Multi-Use District plans before the next guaranteed conference stability and money deal - if you go from $40-mil/yr big 12 money to $8-mil/yr of C-USA money. On the other hand, this is happening 4-years before the end of this "stability" deal, so maybe it is just a meaningless word if TX and OU can always seek a small upgrade.

My bigger pessimistic take is concussions and various "woke pressures", for lack of a better term, are going to end football anyway.

I don't agree with this but seems very possible hypothetical, along the lines of:
"People are getting hurt. These injured people are disproportionately from the black minority population. They are being pressured to risk and/or injure their bodies for a chance at education so they can be cheered on by white fans. Are we any better than the Romans cheering gladiator slaves? Besides, we are glorifying toxic masculine characteristics like violence and strength and competition instead of empathy and sharing. So since football is therefore inherently inequitable and patriarchal it should be abolished." Etc etc etc. The NCAA may resist, like it did for years with the fictions about name/image/likeness, but would sponsors or advertisers?
1627397719573.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron