***Official Super Bowl Game Thread***

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Problem was SF couldn't block Jones. He was the difference maker, took 2 likely SF TD's off the board with pressure. Brock played well enough to win, but they just had a few too many things go against them last night.

There were quite a few times they were able to block Jones effectively with ONE guy. Now, some of the doubles had something to do with that, but I think it continued a string of pedestrian performances for Jones.
SFs bigger issue was how they handled blitzes/cover zero packages. They seemed ill-prepared/equipped in the 3rd when that's about all the Chiefs threw at them. SF didn't call the right plays for it, certainly didn't block well for it, and Purdy (himself) didn't have an answer to that pressure.

If the Chiefs stayed in their based and rushed 4 guys (primarily) the entire game SF wins. I'm sure there are advanced stats for the looks/coverage, but I'm willing to bet SF's numbers against high pressure/cover 0 was terrible.

If they want to get over the hump they need to (across the board really) figure that out.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Everyone talking about the muffed punt costing them the game, what about Pacheco fumbling inside the 10? That cost them a TD early.

It was there for the taking, but you have to come away with 7 there. Brock played great but really similar to Oklahoma in 19, Big 12 Championship in 2020, Clemson, Washington St.....he played well just needed to make 1 or 2 more plays and they win.
This is hyperbolic but an argument can be made SF lost the game after the first 2 drives.

Opening drive, moving the ball and CMC fumbles at the KC 30.

Next drive, first play is 18 yard pass. Gets the ball to SF 42. Then 2 Trent Williams penalties stalls that drive.

If SF can get up 10 or 14 to 0, that obviously really changes the game.

Reactions: dafarmer

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Yeah, if his line gave him as much time as Mahomes the 49ers are champions today. I think it's obvious at this point you can't just play "great" and beat Mahomes in the playoffs, you have to be exceptional.

This isn't true. SFs line did fine against 4 man fronts.

It was when Spags said "I'm bringing the kitchen sink, show me you can beat it" when they failed. Not so much the line itself, but the blocking/pressure pick ups were ineffective. SF also seemed ill-prepared to call a game for these situations. The anticipation was poor and whether it be by design (Shanahan wanted exclusive control from the sidelines) or Purdy, there simply wasn't enough adjustments at the line when the coverage was shown.

When the Chiefs were in their base? SF moved the ball well (generally). Against stacked boxes/pressure? They didn't adjust. That's where (IMO) they lost the game.

Outside of Karlaftis I thought the Chiefs DL was maybe the worst unit on the field for either team, with KC's secondary (and LBs with coverage) being the best.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If SF can get up 10 or 14 to 0, that obviously really changes the game.
I dont think it would have mattered either way. This is Mahomes we're talking about here, he needed about 30 seconds to beat Buffalo a couple years ago, I doubt he starts panicking down 14 early.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Brock played well, a lot of his passes were right on the money. I was surprised they didn't use a timeout before their last 3rd down in overtime.

Tony Romo looks like a grown up Dustin Henderson from stranger things

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I dont think it would have mattered either way. This is Mahomes we're talking about here, he needed about 30 seconds to beat Buffalo a couple years ago, I doubt he starts panicking down 14 early.
Yah absolutely agree.
I just remember thinking Mahomes and KC didn’t look good in the first half, SF seemed to be moving the ball, but the score was just 10-3.

Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This isn't true. SFs line did fine against 4 man fronts
Ok, well I don't have time to go revaluate OL play through the entire game, but when he needed to make the big plays to win the game is line let him down.

Jones was all over him on that 3rd down in OT and he overthrew a TD late in the game because of similar pressure. Games are won and lost on a few plays and when he needed them the most they let Jones get to him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You said chiefs haters were coming out of the woodwork. I mocked you saying that with the Brock comment. Mocked.

So anyways again, please show me where I hated on the chiefs. Was it when I dumbed the people being jerks about Swift? :jimlad:
So you are mocking me for saying that Purdy played great, what a moron you are.

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I'm way too lazy to read through all of this, but I thought Jawaan Taylor played great (for him). In my mind I had the over/under on Taylor penalties at 3 (take your pick of false starts, holds, and illegal hands ot the face) but he performed admirably, even if beat at times.

I will also say it felt like the crew, in general, swallowed their whistles and let them play. It was towards the end but there was a play where Bosa wasn't just held, but tackled in plain view. No call. Several other calls (on both sides) where the whistles were held.

While a few of them probably should have been called, the lack of penalties kept what is always a slow game moving. For that I think the crew did an excellent job of letting the players dictate they game. And when they did throw a flag? They were pretty clear obvious (no ticky tack BS). Great job, zebras.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Everyone talking about the muffed punt costing them the game, what about Pacheco fumbling inside the 10? That cost them a TD early.

It was there for the taking, but you have to come away with 7 there. Brock played great but really similar to Oklahoma in 19, Big 12 Championship in 2020, Clemson, Washington St.....he played well just needed to make 1 or 2 more plays and they win.
I look at the CMC and the Pacheco fumbles cancelling each other out. They were both Red zone type turnovers.

The chiefs put the ball on the turf 3-4 times and lost one. The 49ers didn't do anything with the turnovers they got was huge also.

the muffed punt really is what turned the game.
you could say the same thing about the turnover the Lions had against the 49ers. If they don't get that they probably don't win.

the inexcusable part is :
kicking the ball 7 feet off the ground on a PAT
Not getting CMC the ball more on those 2 drives that could have put KC away.
Kittle was irrelevant.
the defense giving up two full length drives at the end.
KC has entered the douchery hate category for me now. replacing the Patriots.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
49ers were weak at OL, DB, and K most of the season. Those positions were an issue last night too.

I thought many of the 49ers stars looked tired and/or beat up last night. They didn't have their normal explosive look to them.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Ok, well I don't have time to go revaluate OL play through the entire game, but when he needed to make the big plays to win the game is line let him down.

Jones was all over him on that 3rd down in OT and he overthrew a TD late in the game because of similar pressure. Games are won and lost on a few plays and when he needed them the most they let Jones get to him.

LOL, that was literally one of the few time Jones had a clear impact on the game. Ironically, just before that play, I texted a friend "is Jones going to come to the Super Bowl or what"? He was a complete non-factor. If one is being honest it was another in a string of subpar performances for him.

While yes, he still gets doubled a lot that's been occurring for years. The previous 2 to 3 years Jones would win games almost by himself. This year? Be it contract status, injury, and/or age I don't think he as the same guy.

Having an elite D tackle like Jones is probably the hardest commodity to find in football. Guys that can play the run and the pass from the inside are rare but I think the Chiefs have a bigger dilemma with Jones that I anticipated when the season started. Before? I would have said sign him for whatever the cost as he's a machine. Now? Karlaftis showed me enough that I think the smarter move might be locking up Sneed, McDuffie, and Bolton to long term deals and let Jones walk. He's a luxury they might not need (at that price) any more.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
49ers were weak at OL, DB, and K most of the season. Those positions were an issue last night too.

I thought many of the 49ers stars looked tired and/or beat up last night. They didn't have their normal explosive look to them.
Greenlaws fluke injury killed them too. Kelce owned them after that.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
That was the best opportunity for SF to win it probably for next several years because of their cap. Projected to be way over already for next year and have some guys on their last year like CMC and Aiyuk who are both going to want a ton. Also Purdy whose salary will go way up. They won’t be able to keep a guy like Chase Young. Going to have to get younger.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Also, taking the ball first in OT was incredibly dumb. I get the idea that you'd be able to score anything and win on the 3rd possession. But you have to get there first. The advantage of knowing what you have to get is monumental. And you saw it with Mahommes knowing he had 4 downs to begin that drive. Also, the disadvantage to the team who goes first of having to punt on 4th down is huge as well. Just a massive blunder by Shanahan.

If you went second and both scored touchdowns, I'd just go for 2 instead of giving it back to Mahommes where he only needs a FG. Never even gets to the 3rd possession.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
That was the best opportunity for SF to win it probably for next several years because of their cap. Projected to be way over already for next year and have some guys on their last year like CMC and Aiyuk who are both going to want a ton. Also Purdy whose salary will go way up. They won’t be able to keep a guy like Chase Young. Going to have to get younger.
Chase Young wasn't going to be on the roster next year anyways. He takes too many plays off.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

I don't get all of the line talk. I thought their line did fine when the Chiefs weren't bringing the house/stacking the box, which they did for almost the entire 3rd quarter. I think the far bigger issue where their schemes (on how to handle the pressure) and the play calling. I thought SF should have used CMC more in their passing attack, while utilizing quick outs to neutralize the single coverage and size advantage on teh outside.

Deebo and Kittle needed to do more in the passing attack than they did. Kittle in particular was a near zero which I was surprised by.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric