New Uniforms Revealed

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
...As I've said, the main template they developed works, but isn't able to cover all combinations as effectively as it could. Yeah, it'd require more expense to have tweaked versions of jerseys, pants, etc. Those could be added gradually, I guess. I'm not certain that'll happen. (I won't *expect* it).
I think most future combinations will look good, as long as they don't go crazy. But yes, they have to make a couple of changes/tweaks to be their best.
The worst combination we had this year was the c/c/w, IMO. Put a pant stripe on it for example, maybe some long red socks and this combo wouldn't be too bad, here with red/gold collar. Still not my favorite combination but much better. Touch of white also in socks, nameplate, and front of collar (I'd take white out of collar front to be consistent with other collars though).
Cy Uniforms 2019  g7a  - r r w  RedChrHelRedface RedSocksw RedCol7CY.jpg
If they miss the black in front (with red/gold collar) put black facemask on, problem solved.
Cy Uniforms 2019  g7a  - r r w  RedChrHelBlkface RedSocksw RedCol7CY.jpg

Reactions: cyclones500

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Any changes or additions for 2019 were already finalized by August '18 so there is that (1 year lag time). It will be very interesting to see if there are any gradual changes or additions to the uniforms over the next two years.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
These may be my favorite college uniforms. This is my opinion, it can't be wrong. :)
See, other than the collar (which I kind of like, and is Oregon-esque), these TCU unis are very simple, classic. That is one reason they look very good. No added white accent here and there or on numbers, no pant stripes. Very nice.

Our unis are pretty simple too and people complain.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
See, other than the collar (which I kind of like, and is Oregon-esque), these TCU unis are very simple, classic. That is one reason they look very good. No added white accent here and there or on numbers, no pant stripes. Very nice.

There will always be someone to complain about something, you will never satisfy everyone.

jbru119

Jun 26, 2016

Nike doesn’t add an element to a uniform w/o a reason. TCU got frog scales for 2019. We got twisty numbers & a black collar (I really do believe it represents a cardinal, but there was never any Nike-splain for these unis). Sometimes it’s a hit, sometimes a miss. I think ISU & TCU are both hits.

I think the reason Nike doesn’t stripe everything up anymore (for some teams) is b/c it makes it easier to mix & match elements.

& for that very reason, I think the black “storm” unis were a miss. With the exception of the helmet that you can easily swap out stickers & facemasks, the jersey & pants are completely monochromatic with no gold/cardinal to tie to the other uni-pieces.

At the very least, I hope they replace the I-State logos w/ gold/cardinal logos. I think that will make it possible to use them w/ all the other uni-pieces.

I would agree w/ most here that seem to prefer a gold pants/gold helmet option. Include a gold shoe/sock & these unis will be !

Reactions: t-noah

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Remember when we ditched the navy (the trendy color of the day) and white to return to the cardinal and gold? Ah, yes, now we are on to black and white, it seems.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here is a pic summarizing many of the best potential Home combinations, IMO. It also has all 3-4 changes (I would like to see them make anyway)(pant stripe to white pant, add gold, modify black collar, add a bit of white - nameplate has gold with white trim), and illustrates the two collar ideas I had. Adding a touch of white (here in the nameplate) would allow them to add a bit of white accessories, if they wanted, and not look too out of place. Plus it goes great with the white helmet and pant.
Red/gold collar on left, 2-tone black collar on right, front and back. Red/gold collar has black rear portion, the front being dark red. I don't think you'd even notice that from a distance.
Cy Uniforms 2019  q8 2020 unis Home RedCol7BlkCol5CY.png
I did the red/gold collar this way thinking that Coach wants a 'black' collar. But a red/gold collar like or similar to this, just looks better than the black, and fits the existing design. And it is black on the back side, best of both. A little different I know, but I think it would look and work great. What do I know??

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Best Away combination pic summary (with the addition of gold, and white pant stripe).
Cy Uniforms 2019  q9 2020 unis Away CY.png
IMO, with just a few simple changes these uniforms could be really sharp. Multiple combinations would be simple and all (most) would look very good.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
New white pants that match the black uniforms

Those are pretty sweet, but I'd still like to see some cardinal accents in there somewhere.

But I'm glad they are at least trying to tie the pants in to the rest of the uniform somehow.
Uggh! Not sure what's new about these, other than maybe black swoosh and I-State on the white pants. It's hard to see much different. Not the direction I was hoping they might want to go.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If they wanted to do a b/b/w or a w/b/w combo, this looks much better. Put the cardinal and gold pant stripe back on the white pant, and don't be afraid to show it off. W/b/w.
Cy Uniforms 2019  a9  - w b w  StdISt Redface Whtsocks CY.png
I didn't know what this would look like but made it up a few weeks ago to see. I wouldn't mind seeing this once every 2-3 years. It's not a bad look, not something I would want to see every year, so many other better combos (but I think they have to add gold to realize).

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Nike doesn’t add an element to a uniform w/o a reason. TCU got frog scales for 2019. We got twisty numbers & a black collar (I really do believe it represents a cardinal, but there was never any Nike-splain for these unis). Sometimes it’s a hit, sometimes a miss. I think ISU & TCU are both hits.

I think the reason Nike doesn’t stripe everything up anymore (for some teams) is b/c it makes it easier to mix & match elements. Agree.

& for that very reason, I think the black “storm” unis were a miss. With the exception of the helmet that you can easily swap out stickers & facemasks, the jersey & pants are completely monochromatic with no gold/cardinal to tie to the other uni-pieces.

At the very least, I hope they replace the I-State logos w/ gold/cardinal logos. I think that will make it possible to use them w/ all the other uni-pieces. See below.

I would agree w/ most here that seem to prefer a gold pants/gold helmet option. Include a gold shoe/sock & these unis will be !
You've explained this very well. However, I am OK w/ them leaving the black pant and jersey alone, keep it monochromatic. I think it will just look better when they go all black. Also, if they want to go 'mostly all black' but add a bit of cardinal and gold, like you said, the black helmet can be easily modified w/ c/g stickers and red facemask. Then just add some red to the socks or other accessories.
I think the monochrome black pants will mix and match just fine w/ other combos, as I've illustrated here recently (c/c/b red socks, b/c/b black socks), the socks playing a key element.
But what to do about the monochrome black jersey? You are right, it won't mix and match well w/ other elements, combos. To me that's OK, don't try to match it. Don't put cardinal and gold elements on the black jersey In order to try and make say a c/b/c look good. I don't think it's going to look good anyway, so don't even try.
Like I've said before, there are so many combos, and better combos out there, especially if they add a gold set. And there are only so many games (6 Home, 6 away roughly). Why mess around too much w/ the black jersey? Leave it alone.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Now if they are not planning on adding a gold set, then I can see them maybe wanting to do more w/ the black combos. I then see that as being unfortunate, and not the direction I would want to take. But I am on this ride together w/ this coaching staff and team, will still follow, maybe just complain a bit more under my breath!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
...& for that very reason, I think the black “storm” unis were a miss. With the exception of the helmet that you can easily swap out stickers & facemasks, the jersey & pants are completely monochromatic with no gold/cardinal to tie to the other uni-pieces.

At the very least, I hope they replace the I-State logos w/ gold/cardinal logos. I think that will make it possible to use them w/ all the other uni-pieces.
Case in point, c/c/b or b/c/b, yes it would match better if there were some c/g elements in the black pant. Leaving it alone however, it still works, not as well but some trade-off.
Cy Uniforms 2019  g15 - r r b  RedChrHelRedface RedSocksw RedCol7CY.png

Cy Uniforms 2019  g5 - b r b  BlkChrHelRedface RedSocksw RedCol7WhtTrimCY.png
I'd be fine w/ them adding some c/g elements to the monochromatic black jersey and pant, and would even favor that, yes. I don't think they will do it, 'cause they want that 'all-black' look at least 1x/year (last year 2x). So it's one or the other with the black I think. Otherwise, limited black combos are doable, other than the black jersey, IMO.

It looks like they are going more black though, and less c/g, unfortunately. As I said at beginning of last year, "let's just see how it plays out" this next year. It might be something we like better than we think right now??

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't see why they don't just ditch the idea of monochrome black, or monochrome black/white combos (if they are going to do more black). Some c/g trim would look better, most of the time I think. I can't believe black and white is more the direction we might be going, really. We'll see I guess.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Yeah which set does he (Coach) want the most in black? The all-black or black w/ a bit of c/g? Can't have both I don't think.