*** Official #14 Baylor vs #7 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
True that. Although Houston is really beat up too. But they keep pushing through.

Just stating that what has happened so far in KC is not CW’s point. His point is how we look first round. And again if we are sluggish in round 1 that still has nothing to do with KC. But that will be the narrative right or wrong.

“Oh we played too many games and got worn down against Houston and that’s why we lost in Round 1” It’s a load of crap, but that’s what will be said.

I haven't liked or agreed with his and Blum's takes lately.

Nobody 'looks like a Final Four team' in February. It's still a long season after that and other teams can ascend.

I believe in tired legs as the season is a slog, but ISU's problems seemed to be 1) playing really good defenses including on the road that gave them fits and 2) getting out of what made them their best on offense, too much dribbling, quick shots, etc. TJ stated this pretty simply in his interviews.

Reactions: Cyientist

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
But it’s hard to watch these past two games and not feel confident. Our defensive identity has been there. They figured some things out on offense, and Momcilovic saw some shots go down.

Houston will be a brawl, and weird **** happens in the NCAA. But I trust our defense will show up, which will be tough for a 15 seed mid major to contend with. Then a 7-10 seed on 1 days rest.

Stick to what we do well and we could have a fun rest of the month.
No, I am on the side of play to win and try to get in a groove. My point was that CW’s point is all about how we perform in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, which hasn’t been played yet. If we look sluggish there he will say, “See, I was worried playing three games in three days, especially finishing with Houston would take too much out of us.”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No, I am on the side of play to win and try to get in a groove. My point was that CW’s point is all about how we perform in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, which hasn’t been played yet. If we look sluggish there he will say, “See, I was worried playing three games in three days, especially finishing with Houston would take too much out of us.”

That's some Hok-like stuff and not a great look.

There's so many variables in those first rounds but being tired after 4-5 days' rest can't be it.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Not to be a downer BUT his whole premise revolved around the NCAA Tournament, so that’s TBD. We get a no holds barred, death match against Houston tomorrow. It’s going to be a war. After that let’s see how the first round game in the NCAA Tournament goes.

Hopefully this week has gotten the groove back, but we won’t know their physical toll until the first round game.

Edit: And if we would lose first round, there’s no proof a three day tournament run is what gassed us or caused it. But that will be the narrative right or wrong.
True. But if we fizzled out first game we would have had absolutely no momentum or confidence going into the tourney. FWIW, in CW's post-game article last night he said that ISU absolutely had to win a game in the B12 tourney. Flip flop.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

There's so many variables in those first rounds but being tired after 4-5 hours days' rest can't be it.
And I am agreeing with you…

Unless you meant CW as Hawk-like?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

There's so many variables in those first rounds but being tired after 4-5 days' rest can't be it.

No sh!t. They will have at least 4 days of rest. That's easier than the conference schedule. Plus, they will play a mid major first round and a 7 or 10 seed two days later. Fatigue is not a factor. Every team is "fatigued" at this point. Don't forget about the "they had too much time off" excuse by the way.

Reactions: Texbudman

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
True. But if we fizzled out first game we would have had absolutely no momentum or confidence going into the tourney. FWIW, in CW's post-game article last night he said that ISU absolutely had to win a game in the B12 tourney. Flip flop.
I mean he and Blum kind of live on that. CW more so than Blum.