Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This is a great take and honestly ISU might actually be a better fit in the SEC. However as I've said before everyone keeps calling them Matt Campbells cyclones. I don't know much about the guy but he is the number one coaching candidate to be swooped up for insane money. If he leaves I am not sure if you can maintain the level, i know we certainly couldn't do it at MSU but I hope he is your forever coach.
He's not leaving unless we get left behind in realignment, maybe not even then.

RClone

Dec 8, 2019
Sparty is much better than Condon and Miller. Purple Hawk Condon seems to constantly rake cheap shots at ISU...almost allowing us to sense his glee at the thought of ISU falling to the Mountain West. Screw him and his goofy smug attitude. Sparty can stay.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
My least favorite part of all of this is the SEC and Big10 total dollar values being used vs. the B12 total dollar value. No kidding a league with 14 teams is going to have a larger total value. The guys talking on tv and the radio honestly don't know basic math and they're just regurgitating **** at this point. I think Texas and OU must be bad at math too.

Yes, $700 million is way more than $450 million.
No, $700m/14 is not that much more than $450m/10.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
you have to pray Harbaugh does well this year or they are going to back up the brinks truck.

Campbell is not going to go to UM. He is an Ohio guy and the only school in the Big 10 IS fans need to worry about him going to isn't maize and blue but red and grey (or whatever color they are).

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
You should come to the ISU vs Texas game this year. That should be a loud one.
@FriendlySpartan
Come out for the Cy-Hawk game. It will be loud. One heck of a tailgate. But not that hostile.

By the time the Texas game rolls around, the Governor may need to call out the National Guard for riot control.

Unless, of course, you want to take notes on how to throw a good old fashioned four alarm dumpster fire riot. Google VEISHEA riots if you wat to know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
So, basically what you are implying is that the ONLY way or reason that the Big 10 would take in ISU is from the mere kindness of their hearts. Which in college sports or this greedy society isn't going to happen. But you came in peace, so I'll exit with thanks for the info and thanks for ruining my day.
IN THIS COUNTRY.....GREED ALWAYS WINS OUT!

• Informative
Reactions: drmwevr08

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Campbell is not going to go to UM. He is an Ohio guy and the only school in the Big 10 IS fans need to worry about him going to isn't maize and blue but red and grey (or whatever color they are).
Every coach who grew up in the state of OHIO wants to COACH AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY!

• Disagree
Reactions: DarkStar

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
For what it’s worth I think the most likely medium-term outcome here is the B1G and SEC taking off into the stratosphere and gobbling up whoever is worthwhile from the other conferences as they go. I just don’t think that they will forget to leave behind the Purdues and Mississippi States before they do so. And that will be an especially ugly breakup.
There is absolutely zero chance Purdue is bounced. Their research and science is far too valuable.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
There is absolutely zero chance Purdue is bounced. Their research and science is far too valuable.

People way overplay the idea that athletics and research are tied at the hip. I know the B1G has done that *now*, but we are in a universe where the big boys of CFB could make $250M a year or more each in the not distant future, and shaving the fat wouldn’t adversely affect the grants that UM and OSU professors bring in.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
People way overplay the idea that athletics and research are tied at the hip. I know the B1G has done that *now*, but we are in a universe where the big boys of CFB could make $250M a year or more each in the not distant future, and shaving the fat wouldn’t adversely affect the grants that UM and OSU professors bring in.

I think schools would "drop" down a level athletically (football) prior to them being kicked out. I believe that's happened way more often over the course of history vs. the being dropped scenario. At what point does a Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Kansas, etc. decide it's a lost cause on football?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Purdue is in no way shape or form fat when it comes to total revenue. Your understanding of this is swing and a miss.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The research will continue when Purdue and Northwestern and Vanderbilt are in a new league that Ohio State and Alabama left behind.
For the millionth time OSU isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when you say this.

Also schools will not be making 250mil a year. You are under the wrong impression that the 2bil supposed new media rights for the playoffs is somehow going to be distributed to each team which is completely false. Right now the contract is for 600mil and schools only get 6mil each for participating. Ill be generous and times that by 4 to get 24 mil for each school that gets into the playoff add that to the big ten new media deal of 70-80 mil and your at around 110mil per playoff team in the big ten (sec will probably be a bit more). that's less then half of this alleged 250mil number you threw out there.

• Haha
Reactions: DarkStar

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
For the millionth time OSU isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when you say this.

Also schools will not be making 250mil a year. You are under the wrong impression that the 2bil supposed new media rights for the playoffs is somehow going to be distributed to each team which is completely false. Right now the contract is for 600mil and schools only get 6mil each for participating. Ill be generous and times that by 4 to get 24 mil for each school that gets into the playoff add that to the big ten new media deal of 70-80 mil and your at around 110mil per playoff team in the big ten (sec will probably be a bit more). that's less then half of this alleged 250mil number you threw out there.

So you’re asserting that If Ohio State Michigan and penn st left the big 10, all of the research money would vanish?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron