Players staying and leaving for 21-22 season

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kolar has nothing to gain by staying. Even if he ends up going in like the 5th round, that’s still a ton of money.

Hakeem Butler has gotten cut twice and hasn’t played a down in the NFL as a 4th round pick, but he still has career earnings over $1.4 million. Kolar needs to go now. Staying is almost irresponsible.
May want to message Hakeem and tell him his plays with the eagles don’t count.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
The school has the final say. NCAA approves any situation where a player wants to come back for an extra year and the school agrees. Returning seniors do not count against the 85 scholarship limit. All other do count.
everyone gets an extra year not just seniors

So does it work like this?:
if you get 5 seniors that stay this year - you get 5 extra scholarships. But if 10 decide to stay next year you get 10 extra. it’s gonna be a four year process to wash out.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Aren't scholarships one year contracts? If the school says it's time to go you're hitting the portal.
They have been one-year contracts forever until 7-8 years ago, TMK.

Athletic scholarships can be guaranteed for four years, but it's not the norm. The NCAA has allowed colleges to provide multiyear scholarships since 2012. ... Most athletic scholarships are only guaranteed for one year, but they are generally renewed annually.Aug 14, 2019

I think ISU is honoring them as a 4-year commitment.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Kolar has nothing to gain by staying. Even if he ends up going in like the 5th round, that’s still a ton of money.

Hakeem Butler has gotten cut twice and hasn’t played a down in the NFL as a 4th round pick, but he still has career earnings over $1.4 million. Kolar needs to go now. Staying is almost irresponsible.
This is an.......interesting.....take.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
everyone gets an extra year not just seniors

So does it work like this?:
if you get 5 seniors that stay this year - you get 5 extra scholarships. But if 10 decide to stay next year you get 10 extra. it’s gonna be a four year process to wash out.
The extras only count for next year, then it’s back to 85.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Didn’t think he played this year, my bad. The point still stands, any draft pick type money is life changing

But the goal should be to get actual life changing money. $1-1.5 mil over a few years isn’t life changing when 40% or more of it is gone to taxes and agent fees. Yes that a lot of money but that goes VERY quickly for most NFL players.

Not saying he should be if he comes back and plays himself into the 2-3rd round instead of the 4-6, that significant dollar. And you can get a loss of value policy to protect against injury. But Kolar already gets that grade (don’t think he will), then yes - he should definitely go.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
How so? That much money is life changing. Plus draft picks get a four year contract so if you do make it, you have some security
Well first off, you’re using Butler, a prime example of someone that should have stayed an extra year, as why Kolar shouldn’t. I also think Kolar has bigger dreams than making a million dollars and disappearing into obscurity.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Well first off, you’re using Butler, a prime example of someone that should have stayed an extra year, as why Kolar shouldn’t. I also think Kolar has bigger dreams than making a million dollars and disappearing into obscurity.
You mean, as if both of his parents are university professors, and he’s really, really smart himself?

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

If we’re gonna start shitting on earnings over a million, then I don’t know what to tell you guys. Fandom is blinding I guess.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Kene is a smart guy. He might want to come back so he can get a free year of grad school.
A lot of grad programs cover at least part of your tuition, and some cover all of it. At least that was the case when I went to grad school. Of course he'd probably have to work for the department in some capacity, but being a teachers assistant has to be a hell of a lot easier than football.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Akers said this was his last season a while back

"Akers will play his final game in an Iowa State uniform on Saturday when the Cyclones face Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl"

“This is the ending point for my career,” he said. “I think seven years would be way too much. This is it.”

Last edited:

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
It’s not shitting on a million dollars when you understand your value is much more than that...

Opportunity cost. That’s up to each individual, but I know one thing for sure, you ain’t getting paid **** in college.

Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I posted this in another thread, but got no response...... technically couldn't Purdy have 3 more years at ISU if he has to use his RS year sometime for an injury (hope to hell not of course!)? He's still a true Junior next season eligibility wise correct?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Opportunity cost. That’s up to each individual, but I know one thing for sure, you ain’t getting paid **** in college.

No one is saying he is stupid if he goes pro. Just that there is a reasonable reason to stay another year.

• Love
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I posted this in another thread, but got no response...... technically couldn't Purdy have 3 more years at ISU if he has to use his RS year sometime for an injury (hope to hell not of course!)? He's still a true Junior next season eligibility wise correct?

Yes, but that's not going to happen.

I'm going to guess that there will be very few underclassman that take the extra year.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman