Tamin Lipsey Commits

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Ive been going to games for 30+ years. That 2013 Iowa game when Gessell was at the free throw line to tie it was the loudest I've ever heard Hilton. The building, floor and hoop were literally shaking.

Edit: That group on the floor to end the game Morris, Kane, Hogue, Ejim, Niang...Damn!

Double edit: Love how Niang shoves White out of his way as the buzzer sounds.

I don't doubt that the highs reach the same highs, I just think 1980s crowds were a little more unhinged "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!" it's similar to how SNL and other programs used to be the thing everyone looked to, now there's viral things happening everywhere, things aren't as unheard of and attention is more fragmented.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have no way to net this out or prove it. But to me, this is like saying all the QBs the Browns ever drafted before Baker were busts. To me, talent is important, but team culture and a healthy system is far greater.

I'm a KC guy, so I'm fond of Mahomes, and truly think he has some special things to him, but believe if he goes elsewhere it's not quite the same as the situation he had/has in KC and other QBs could've had similar success.

Or a basketball analogy. Kobe ended up being one of the all time greats, but am a firm believer that you switch him and AI or McGrady with 99-02 Shaq and the results are just about the same. Kobe carrying a team that loses out Shaq and a dynamic scorer.

I don't disagree, culture is a huge piece of the equation. That goes hand in hand with the comment I made earlier in this thread regarding the lack of identity that CSP's teams had. There's also something to be said about throwing guys out on the court before they are ready.

Reactions: davegilbertson

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Ive been going to games for 30+ years. That 2013 Iowa game when Gessell was at the free throw line to tie it was the loudest I've ever heard Hilton. The building, floor and hoop were literally shaking.

Edit: That group on the floor to end the game Morris, Kane, Hogue, Ejim, Niang...Damn!

Was at this game. It went from about 10 decibals as naz's shot went up to cant hear yourself scream in a split second

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I can't believe how many posters are asking if this eliminates us from King's recruitment. Have you guys never followed basketball recruiting? You need classes with a couple Top 100 guys regardless of position to win. Every class. Top 100 guys are not worried about competing for minutes. Good programs bring in as much talent as possible and let the chips fall where they may.

Making connections with Lipsey, King, and Karaban this quickly is what it's supposed to look like. It's what we did during the Hoiberg era.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You mean TJ's eggplant?

To have any relevance, you should probably refine it to possible positions. 32 NFL teams: athlete could play maybe 2-3 positions so looking for 1 out of 100 slots available. NBA has 30 teams, athlete could play 1-2 positions so trying for 1 out of 60-70 slots available. I could be wrong, but it seems like the NBA cycles through more players (shorter career) than NFL too so all mixed together, probably about the same odds.

I get where you are coming from, but especially athletes tend to cover way more than 2-3 positions, and even more players on the field when you include multiples. Alex for instance is a quarterback in HS, which many athletes are. As a 6' 1" athlete, that would include quarterback, running back, wide/slot receiver (typically 3 receivers on fieldish), cornerback (2 players), safety/nickel (around 2ish on field), and even get bulked up to play a linebacker in some instances. Shoot, that is nearly most the players on the field someone as a 6' 1" athlete status a player could potentially play. With Alex for instance, they are projecting him likely as a D-back, which is one of the most common landing spots for athletes. However, he has the skills to pull off multiple other positions. Now, compare that to the possibility of 1 to max 2 total spots on the court in the NBA, that is significantly less.

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

I forgot how many good looks Iowa had at the end. One of my favorite memories in the student section!

Reactions: t-noah

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I can't believe how many posters are asking if this eliminates us from King's recruitment. Have you guys never followed basketball recruiting? You need classes with a couple Top 100 guys regardless of position to win. Every class. Top 100 guys are not worried about competing for minutes. Good programs bring in as much talent as possible and let the chips fall where they may.

Making connections with Lipsey, King, and Karaban this quickly is what it's supposed to look like. It's what we did during the Hoiberg era.

A future backcourt of Lipsey, Hunter and King would be smothering. Those are some high-level athletes.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
These posts are related. Thigpen was the hottest guy in the building at that point of the game but when he drew the defense to himself as time was expiring in OT he gave the ball up - to a freshman, no less.

Those are my favorite uniforms. Nostalgia.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Not going to lie, it still grosses me out that we had to erase that huge deficit in that game. The talent gap between those two teams was huge but it never seemed to matter other than the BDJ suspension game in Iowa City.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not going to lie, it still grosses me out that we had to erase that huge deficit in that game. The talent gap between those two teams was huge but it never seemed to matter other than the BDJ suspension game in Iowa City.

I'm still laughing at that breakaway buzzer-beater three Matt hit to end the first half of that game.

That and the dumbfounded Fran next to 3sus preaching.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm still laughing at that breakaway buzzer-beater three Matt hit to end the first half of that game.

That and the dumbfounded Fran next to 3sus preaching.

Haha! Those were both great. That game had several pretty amazing sequences in it. Another great moment was the Kane inbound play off off Woodbury's back and the aw shucks reaction after the and one. So great.

Reactions: BigCyFan and t-noah

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Just posted that in another thread. The wording is interesting, isn't it?

Very interesting indeed. If you are high major 2,3,4 position player, come join the back court of Lipsey and Hunter and they will create for you, get you the ball and allow all your skills to flourish in an up tempo offensive. Great timing with these two onboard.