Thanks Gene Chizik

lars4isu

Jul 21, 2008
Ankeny
Thanks for nothing Chizik you sell out, lying, piece of crap! Jaime Pollard can get the hell of of town as well. What good has he done but put us in debt and on the bottom of the football/basketball conference! The only good he has done was hired Sanderson but that was a no-brainer. I played sports at ISU so I am not just a wannabe and I'm pissed off!!!

Reactions: cyfanatic and cyjlt

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Chizik deserves what he gets, but those of you PO'd at JP are nothing but DannyMac homers or irritated at ticket prices.

JP has done good things and he is wayyyyyy better than BVD

Reactions: cyfanatic

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Turner Gill

First off, i'm shocked at what's happened the last 24 hours up in Ames. Secondly, I saw some were in another thread of hiring Turner Gill as a way to "stick it to Nebraska".

Tom Osborne made it clear last year that he was looking for a defensive minded head coach, that is in no way has a swipe at Turner.

You won't find a Husker fan on the face of this earth who isn't thrilled to death with the success that Turner has had this year. Turner is an offensive minded HC who has alot of the same traits that Tom Osborne had as a HC and no, i'm not talking about his handling of off the field incidents.

Deep down inside, I think to this day that Turner has strong feelings for Nebraska and that's why I question he would take a job in the Big 12, espcially in the North were he knew he would have to face Nebraska every year.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
JP has done good things and he is wayyyyyy better than BVD

5 years of BVD brought 4 bowl games and 3 NCAA tournaments.

3 years of JP brought 0 bowl games, 0 NCAA tournaments, and record price increases.

Opinions are one thing. Results are what count. And JP hasn't delivered any.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Re: Turner Gill

I don't think anyone wants to "stick it to Nebraska" by hiring Gill. He's simply the best fit for our job at the current time IMO.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
JP is supposed to hire guys based on their character. Guess he hired a guy who is two-faced, hypocritical and unloyal.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
5 years of BVD brought 4 bowl games and 3 NCAA tournaments.

3 years of JP brought 0 bowl games, 0 NCAA tournaments, and record price increases.

Opinions are one thing. Results are what count. And JP hasn't delivered any.

BVD rode Smiths momentum, we are still in BVD's hangover...

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I hate what happened----but it's not JP's fault. He brought us a coach who a MAJOR program wanted. That says something--both about him and chizik.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I hate what happened----but it's not JP's fault. He brought us a coach who a MAJOR program wanted. That says something--both about him and chizik.

He brought a coach that many of us thought would leave soon...soon after helping build our program up! Our program is arguably just as bad or worse than it was the day GC accepted the job!

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I'm still on board with Pollard for now but we are the joke of the Big 12 when it comes to athletics at this point. Is it all his fault? No but it's the reality of the situation. He needs to make a good football hire right now or he will be out of a job within 2 years himself.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'm still on board with Pollard for now but we are the joke of the Big 12 when it comes to athletics at this point. Is it all his fault? No but it's the reality of the situation. He needs to make a good football hire right now or he will be out of a job within 2 years himself.

Is that his fault? He is the Director of our athletic department! He should be as accountable as anyone in my opinion. How long do we have to wait to judge JP fairly? We have to be approaching that time aren't we?

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
BVD rode Smiths momentum, we are still in BVD's hangover...

Gene Smith had things set up pretty well. BVD left well enough alone for the most part and all-in-all, the sports programs did pretty well during his tenure. JP could have stuck with stability, that's usually a pretty good thing with successful programs; turning every program upside down was his doing. And so far, his results are dismal: every program he's revamped has gotten worse.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
JP may have overreached with Chiz but I am nowhere near mad at him. How could he have seen this coming. Who in their right mind would have thought that after a 5-19 record Auburn would come hire Chizik. He had to think like everyone else that if chiz would get hired away he would have had success and advanced the program first.

Here's why i like JP:
Volleyball in the elite 8 and sweet 16 past two years
Wrestling has been rated in the top 2 in the nation the last 2 years.
He hired Sanderson
He made desperately needed renovations to Jack Trice and layed out a bold plan to bowl it in.
He is building us a basketball practice facility.
I don't know and AD in the nation that can claim to know the success their coaching hires will experience when they are hired. He hired Gene and Greg after with very promising resumes. they just haven't paid out. Hell Gene just got hired by a top tier football program so obviously they still think he's worth something.

So aside of raising season ticket sales to an all time high at higher prices, and changing the book keeping system to a legal GAAP for the athletic department and dreaming big you're mad because he has run us into debt?

I'd argue that debt needed to happen to upgrade our basketball practice facility and Jack Trice. Yea his basketball and Football hires haven't paid out, but I don't think you could argue ex-ante that they were bad hires, only ex-post. Nobody can see the future when they make those sorts of hires.