Thanks Gene Chizik

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
JP hired the best man for the job, he did his job, its not his fault Chizik left.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Chizik deserves what he gets, but those of you PO'd at JP are nothing but DannyMac homers or irritated at ticket prices.

JP has done good things and he is wayyyyyy better than BVD

I agree - JP is the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR - not just the football and Mens basketball director. I too think he's done a good job and the results are not there yet, but, sometimes that does take time. Its not like were playing in the big ten for football...And its not like the basketball team hasnt suffered one setback after another....i mean really Gregs first year he played with guys that had been playing at the Rec......everyone left - thats not his fault he's going to make his kids go to class!!!!

JP has done nothing but improve the facilities for both Football and Basketball/vollyball and that alone will pay dividends in these respective sports for years to come.

If you think Chizik didnt backstab JP too your sadly mistaken. This isnt the type of x-mas that JP was hoping for i can bet that. But now he's stuck with it and i will bet his next hire will not be the hotshot OC or DC somewhere. This will be a head coach and i will be surprised if its not Turner Gill!!!!

Walo

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Re: Turner Gill

He has experience taking a program that is in shambles and turning it around. ISU is seriously in shambles.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

He would enjoy being back in the big 12. He would be a ray opf hope.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I read the thread title and about lost it as I couldn't believe someone would be such a moron... I was much relieved to see that it was sarcastic. WTF did GC accomplish at ISU? Auburn can have him, they are really going out on a limb in my opinion.

clone4410

Apr 13, 2006
JP is supposed to hire guys based on their character. Guess he hired a guy who is two-faced, hypocritical and unloyal.

Honestly how many of you wouldn't take an offer from Auburn.... Last time I checked it was a little bit better job than ISU, not sure why everyone is so shocked he left....

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Gene Smith had things set up pretty well. BVD left well enough alone for the most part and all-in-all, the sports programs did pretty well during his tenure. JP could have stuck with stability, that's usually a pretty good thing with successful programs; turning every program upside down was his doing. And so far, his results are dismal: every program he's revamped has gotten worse.

No, the conference started to shift and become stronger. Instead of raising money and making needed changes BVD cut corners and spending, running programs on a shoestring budget and cutting others. He gave both major coaches raises but nothing to pay assistants. We would have been in MUCH worse shape if we kept BVD around.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Meh, I don't care for these "we're still riding the BVD hangover."

Please, JP hasn't had any restrictions on the coaches he's hired. That's not anyones fault but his. JP needs to have some accountability for his decisions and not blame everything on the previous AD.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I don't think anyone wants to "stick it to Nebraska" by hiring Gill. He's simply the best fit for our job at the current time IMO.

I'm the one he's quoting on that. I don't know if Gill would want to, but I think it's fun to stick it to Nebraska every chance we get.

Really, what we'd have with him is a proven young head coach, a Northern guy, a guy that's successful at everything he does, and someone that can bring real winning out of real ugliness.

Bring him on in! I'm sure that his phone has been ringing today.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
BVD rode Smiths momentum, we are still in BVD's hangover...

What momentum is that? Maybe a financial mess. Smith left BVD with budget overruns and curious accouting procedures that BVD had to clean up. Gene Smith is the single most overrated ISU athletic coach/official in my lifetime...

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
BVD rode Smiths momentum, we are still in BVD's hangover...

You are 100% correct. We have a lot of young fans on here. Name one thing that BVD did to bring all that success to ISU. He was just in the right place at the right time. And he blew it with his only major hiring decision. Every serious candidate told him no to the MBB job so he hired Morgan by default.

JP has taken over a program that BVD ran into the ground. It's gonna take some time to get us out of that hole.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

Two things:
First he's qualified.
Secondly - i think turner may have made a small mistake with his comments about where he's taken Buffalo as far as he can. That to me if i were a Buffalo supporter would not set well. But, lets be real - he's ready.

If Turner Gill isnt JP's first call i would be shocked. Okay maybe second. First might be Brian Kelly - but if he says no thanks im happy here at Cinci then Turner would be the next call. I cannot believe that JP wouldnt want a coach that has ties to the big twelve and a mindset like Tom Osborne.

Lastly, to think out of respect for Nebraska that he wouldnt take a job because of his loyalty would be a mistake. If Nebraska was that loyal, they would have hired him instead of lil bo-p.....He may have a bad taste in his mouth for not being hired and he cant wait forever.

I can only hope whoever he brings in will want to be here.......and i hope thats turner gill.

Reactions: CycloneErik