Thanks Gene Chizik

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Re: Turner Gill

Did any of us go to Michigans board and fan the flame?

I don't know, I don't visit other boards besides this one. There probably were because there are some doozies in this fan base, too. It's just amazing how this topic has turned into a flame against the Iowa Hawkeyes.

LikeACyclone

May 20, 2008
Atlantic, IA

Fire up the Turner Gill Bandwagon!!
This definitely makes sense for Iowa State. He has proven he can turn a program around as a head coach and obviously that is what needs to be done at Iowa State.
We don't need to hire another "potentially" good head coach. We need someone that has been there and proven to be a winner. Turner Gill I am sure has some great midwestern ties and would be a great recruiter. He is passionate about his players and seems to be very loyal to who he works for (both key at this point for the clones.)
I hear everyone saying he wouldn't want to coach against Nebraska and I don't think that is true at all, they passed on him when they had the chance. He would only have to face them one time a year in exchange for coaching in the best football conference in the country. I think he will take that exchange.

Turner Gill or Bust!!!

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

Well, if he is on the top of a Hawkeye's list, then we better do it.

I find it hilarious how much interest this has generated in Iowa City. You go over to the Auburn board and there are Hawkeyes crawling everywhere being complete idiots.

The hawks always believe everything is about them.

No doubt. Why the ---- do they feel the need to frequent our boards and comment?

As for Gill, no way he will take this job. He has a higher profile now and no way he wants to step into this disaster.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I don't know, I don't visit other boards besides this one. There probably were because there are some doozies in this fan base, too. It's just amazing how this topic has turned into a flame against the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Its two sided really. Sometimes they sneak on here and instigate, and other times, we have some folks on here that have an obsession with the hawks as well.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

Well, if he is on the top of a Hawkeye's list, then we better do it.

I find it hilarious how much interest this has generated in Iowa City. You go over to the Auburn board and there are Hawkeyes crawling everywhere being complete idiots.

The hawks always believe everything is about them.

Not sure what you are talking about. I thought we were talking about Iowa State and Turner Gill here. I couldnt care less what other people do or say.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley

If we hire Turner Gill, which I hope we do, I wonder what Phillip Bate's dad would be thinking now...

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

If we hire Turner Gill, which I hope we do, I wonder what Phillip Bate's dad would be thinking now...

Phillip Bates' Dad is laughing with Dan McCarney. Phillip Bates' Dad all of a sudden has some more credibility with me.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN

You can ignore the reality out of some misplaced sensitivity, but it's true.

I'm sure it would be a consideration for a lot of young black men.

How'd that work out for Prince at K-State and Croom at Mississippi State?

I want the guy who is most qualified for the job regardless of his race. If we think Gill can be the one to turn this program around, I'm all for it. But, recent history doesn't appear to support the premis that a black coach will be a more successful recruiter.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
agree 100%

i think just like coaching, being a successful AD takes some time. i think JP just had bad luck with this hire of GC.

Yeah it amazes me how many perfect people we have around this board. Everyone can make mistakes except Pollard. I tell you, we hired this guy to be our network admin once who absolute didnt know **** and sucked as a team member in general. We hired him because in his interview his resume was flawless and full and his personality was golden. Made all sorts of promises about his aptitude for network management. It happens people, look at how Chiziks character panned out, he obvioulsy manipulated JP and the rest of us.

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006

First off, i'm shocked at what's happened the last 24 hours up in Ames. Secondly, I saw some were in another thread of hiring Turner Gill as a way to "stick it to Nebraska".

Tom Osborne made it clear last year that he was looking for a defensive minded head coach, that is in no way has a swipe at Turner.

You won't find a Husker fan on the face of this earth who isn't thrilled to death with the success that Turner has had this year. Turner is an offensive minded HC who has alot of the same traits that Tom Osborne had as a HC and no, i'm not talking about his handling of off the field incidents.

Deep down inside, I think to this day that Turner has strong feelings for Nebraska and that's why I question he would take a job in the Big 12, espcially in the North were he knew he would have to face Nebraska every year.

You know one could have said the same for DMac, but he seemed to look forward to the Iowa game every year.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Personally I think we should fire JP and everyone he's hired (ok, except Cael) and bring back Gene Smith. Everything was just perfect when he was here.

:jimlad:

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Here I am with the traitor for old times sake...

Yes, I will change my signature soon enough.

I always thought Gene looked like a tool in the "Standard black pleated dress pants with western style belt" Did he have 10 pairs of those things.