guy to girl ratio that bad in iowa state?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Then you were obviously in the wrong engineering. My classes are about 50/50.

I'm gonna guess Industrial? Or Materials?

EDIT: Chemical? really? I would not have guessed it would be 50/50. Electrical is a wasteland.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
In HRI its probably a 50/50 split.

Just a suggestion from an HRI grad. Change majors. :smile: Maybe not that extreme, but at least try to get a minor if you can. If you work in the business, that pretty much trumps the specialized degree. And if you some day decide you don't want to work in the industry, since it pays jack and the hours suck, you're kinda stuck. If I had it to do over again, I would have majored in Business, rather than HRI. Now that I'm "retired" from hotel management, it's hard to find a good job. I think that would be different if I had majored in something other than that. Just my 2 cents...

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
Point of info, ISU is one of a handful of universities where more students are males than females, probably cuz of engineering and ag.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Dropped from the curriculum if I'm not mistaken.

From the 09-11 catalog:

Com S 103. Computer Applications. Cr. 4. F.S.SS.
Introduction to computer literacy and applications. Applications: Windows, Internet browser/HTML, word processing, spreadsheets, database management and presentation software. Literacy: history of computing, structure of computers, telecommunications, computer ethics, computer crime, and history of programming languages. No prior computer experience necessary. Course is offered online only. Students must attend an orientation session the first week of class.

nope i'm signed up for next semester
good choice

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I stand corrected. :smile:

Someone at some point told me it was dropped. I was ****** because it was the easiest A I've had in my entire life.

Reactions: CRCy17

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I remember my dad telling horror stories from the late 70's. He brought my car down a couple days after I moved in my freshman year, and we were walking around campus, and I could swear he broke his neck. All he had to say was "things have sure changed around here since my day".

Bottom line is that there are plenty of good looking girls in Ames, and it's a lot easier to "get to know" them than it is in Iowa City, because they don't require $50 worth of drinks to consider "getting to know" you. Cedar Falls is good too, but the problem there is they're still stuck in high school, so they go home to some redneck idiot boyfriend that lives in Oelwein or Osage or Algona or some place like that.

Never had too much trouble finding girls in Ames and neither did most of my friends. Just don't go combing through engineering and ag classes looking for it.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Just a suggestion from an HRI grad. Change majors. :smile: Maybe not that extreme, but at least try to get a minor if you can. If you work in the business, that pretty much trumps the specialized degree. And if you some day decide you don't want to work in the industry, since it pays jack and the hours suck, you're kinda stuck. If I had it to do over again, I would have majored in Business, rather than HRI. Now that I'm "retired" from hotel management, it's hard to find a good job. I think that would be different if I had majored in something other than that. Just my 2 cents...

Thats what i'm doing, but I really dont have any intention of doing anything HRI related in thenear future. I'm just getting a minor in it becaues I'm interested in the field.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Civil was horrible...I'd guess 90/10.

Civil isn't that bad if you make a point to meet all the girls. There were maybe 12-15 girls in my graduating class and I was friends with probably 10 of them. Unfortunately, they were all long spoken for by guys they met in those first 2 years or so before we actually start having a lot of classes for our major. The best method? Don't be a part of that nameless slacker mob that makes up probably 80% of CEs, get involved in some stuff like ASCE or Chi Epsilon, etc.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
2nd that.........:no:

Don't worry guys, I'm just playing! :wink:

I love North Iowa, I just knew too many girls at UNI who dated some ***hole back home who spent their free time getting wasted, vandalizing things and hitting women.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron