INSIDER: ISU no longer recruiting Wright, visitor information

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, I'm hearing ISU will try to add two or three in the fall, then go heavy JUCO, immediately eligible transfers in the spring. Perhaps a sit out transfer too.

Plus I'd imagine we would take a JC or two this fall, if we can land the right guy.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
So do you know if the staff if feeling confident on getting another PG target?

Based on what CW said, I'd guess they're focusing on the three high schoolers with visits currently scheduled for the early period.

That allows you to reevaluate where you are during the season, plus get out on the JUCO trail where things don't really start happening until later in the year.

I don't think it is necessarily a situation of, "We've got this guy at this exact position that's better than McKinley Wright." I think it came down to already being in with three guys they really like more and fit in with the plan and timeline the staff has put together.

I would assume if they get their guys in the early period, they'll go full-court press on PGs to close the class. Whether they come from high school, JUCO or transfer, I don't know.

All that said, I believe the three with visits scheduled are the top priorities for the early period. Could we see more names come out? Definitely.

But I think these three guys are the staff's main focus to close this part of the recruiting cycle.

I'll add that I think ISU will be in a damn good spot if they can lock in Lewis, Feazell and McNeill before the end of the early period.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really think this is a case where we offered Wright before we probably should have.

With that being said, I think it is a good move on our part to let him know now that we're moving on versus leaving him hanging. It's not the ideal situation at all, but after making the initial mistake of offering we at least handled it well since then.

I've often wondered when schools hand out a ton of offers, what happens if someone you're not 100% sold on decides to commit when you think someone better might commit down the road if you wait? I guess you really shouldn't hand out an offer unless you are prepared for that kid to commit to you on the spot, right?

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
I've obviously got no information. But I can't see this as a bad thing. In my opinion I don't think you pull a kid's offer unless you're pretty sure you're getting someone equal to or better coming soon. That doesn't strike me as a move you make if you think you missed on other recruits.
I mean judging by his offer list he can clearly play at the D1 level.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How often does a program only offer as many kids as they have slots for? I don't think that generally happens but a lot of posters on here think that is how it should go.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How often does a program only offer as many kids as they have slots for? I don't think that generally happens but a lot of posters on here think that is how it should go.
There was a time that Duke did that. I assume not anymore. I'd be stunned if anyone does.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I understand that you offer a lot more than you have room for, I'm just not sure what happens when a kid then decides to commit to you but you want to wait to see if some of your higher rated guys want to commit to you first? What do schools do in those situations?

If you have an offer out, I assume you must accept a commitment, correct? I think ISU thought Wright might want to commit after his visit this weekend, but they weren't ready to accept, so they withdrew it, which is understandable, but still very uncomfortable.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I understand that you offer a lot more than you have room for, I'm just not sure what happens when a kid then decides to commit to you but you want to wait to see if some of your higher rated guys want to commit to you first? What do schools do in those situations?

If you have an offer out, I assume you must accept a commitment, correct? I think ISU thought Wright might want to commit after his visit this weekend, but they weren't ready to accept, so they withdrew it, which is understandable, but still very uncomfortable.
Wright never had a visit this weekend

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wright never had a visit this weekend

If true, my bad. I thought I heard he was coming down. But obviously they thought Wright might be wanting to commit soon, so they withdrew their offer. I think they would love Wright if all of their better offers didn't pan out because I don't think we would have offered him if Prohm didn't feel he could play for us.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
If true, my bad. I thought I heard he was coming down. But obviously they thought Wright might be wanting to commit soon, so they withdrew their offer. I think they would love Wright if all of their better offers didn't pan out because I don't think we would have offered him if Prohm didn't feel he could play for us.
He had said he wanted to visit us but never actually set a date.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

uncommittable offers are pretty common.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

True, but it could be worse... A little different senerio but remember the DeAndre Kane and Richard Armardi situation. Armardi was left without a scholly AFTER committing.
Granted he landed on his feet at Oregon, but that had to be a unconformtable convo for CFH. I'm with CW this was a class move by Prohm, especially with 6 roster spots open.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
True, but it could be worse... A little different senerio but remember the DeAndre Kane and Richard Armardi situation. Armardi was left without a scholly AFTER committing.
Granted he landed on his feet at Oregon, but that had to be a unconformtable convo for CFH. I'm with CW this was a class move by Prohm, especially with 6 roster spots open.
I'll forever be annoyed that Fred decided to give KJ Bluford a scholarship instead of Amardi

• Optimistic
Reactions: brycy and Cydkar

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'll forever be annoyed that Fred decided to give KJ Bluford a scholarship instead of Amardi

I don't know if I remember for sure but I don't think that's the way it worked.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I don't know if I remember for sure but I don't think that's the way it worked.
I thought it was just that we got Kane, were one over and decided to release Amardi from his LOI

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for that info. I never knew that. So then why wouldn't Wright have an uncommitable offer? Wouldn't that solve the problem?
He may have thought he had a solid commitable offer and it may have been for some time but things change. Offers and verbal commitments are non-binding and these kids know the game they are both playing. Sometimes people get hurt and sometimes they completely understand. Some staffs are very open with who they are recruiting and some probably aren't. a staff can't afford to accept a player they really don't want because their jobs are on the line. telling Wright that he's down the pecking order is only fair to him because we would've kept recruiting point guards anyway. He'd like that less than being cut loose prior.

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
Prohm just found out he isn't left handed, so he pulled the offer in favor of McNeill. This is so obvious.

• Informative
Reactions: every_yard