***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yeah, it seems harsh, especially after-the-fact. Many other examples when fans are guilty of overkill long after the horse has left the barn. (And I've done it, too).

My assumption is most fans who bring up players like Holden are second-guessing a coaching staff's decision to sign someone or criticizing how a player was incorporated into a game plan or rotation — not a knock on the player himself. But it doesn't usually translate that way, it tends to feel like a personal attack on the athlete.

I don't really think it's as much about Holden as it is commentary on the ability on guys on that level moving to B12 play. Holden isn't a scapegoat, he's a cautionary tale.

• Useful
Reactions: cyclones500

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't really think it's as much about Holden as it is commentary on the ability on guys on that level moving to B12 play. Holden isn't a scapegoat, he's a cautionary tale.
Some fans get pissed when guys dont turn out to be as good as the fans hoped. All incoming players are a crapshoot, be it recruits or transfers. Some just dont end up being what they were brought in to be. It happens but some fans just dont handle it well.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't think I remember anyone taking any personal shots at Holden. He did his job when he was here. It isn't his fault he wasn't quite at the level fans expected. I will add that he is a really good guy. He visited a kid in Des Moines that wrote him a fan letter. Showed up at the house and played basketball with him.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think I remember anyone taking any personal shots at Holden. He did his job when he was here. It isn't his fault he wasn't quite at the level fans expected. I will add that he is a really good guy. He visited a kid in Des Moines that wrote him a fan letter. Showed up at the house and played basketball with him.

I think if you were to do a search on the word bust. One poster would come up repeatedly.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

http://www.scout.com/college/california/story/1774287-kameron-rooks-receives-release-will-transfer

In his three seasons at Cal, Rooks played in 84 games, with 20 starts. Last season, Rooks averaged a career-high 4.9 points per game, playing in 24 games with 10 starts. Rooks missed 10 games due to injury this past season, but even not playing a full schedule, he had clearly taken major leaps even from the end of last year, when he played the best he had in Berkeley. He averaged 10.5 rebounds and 11.5 points per 40 minutes, and was particularly stout on defense in 2016-17.

Rooks, the son of late Arizona star Sean Rooks, is very close to his family, which still resides in Southern California.

Reactions: MartinCy

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Might as well throw our name in the hat... right?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
G Geno Thorpe (South Florida) … grad-transfer 15.1 ppg/4.6 apg/FT% 84/3pt% 37

Highlights

Note: Re: my suggestions in this thread, I don't claim ISU seeks these players (or if they would come), simply transfers I find appealing and could mesh/be productive options.

Wonder if the staff has contacted this kid as a backup plan to Brown / Alstork

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wonder if the staff has contacted this kid as a backup plan to Brown / Alstork
Completely forgot about him. I'm surprised he's still available. I wonder if hometown Pitt is the favorite?

Right now I’m dealing with a lot of different schools all the way from the Sun Belt to the Big 12 to the Big 10 and obviously the ACC. I’m just trying to take my time with everything to make sure I make the right decision for myself,” said Thorpe.

“I am looking to win and looking to be as successful as possible in my last year but I want to make sure that the situation I go to basketball wise it’s the right fit for me.”

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/04/18/geno-thorpe-set-visit-stallings-pitt/

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Sounds like a program ran by an ex-Coach Cal guy. I'm sure he's great with the AAU agents though.

Holston's mother, Monique Holston-Greene, didn't mince words after the incident, though. She spoke out to Greg Auman and Joey Knight of the Tampa Bay Times after talking with the coach Friday.

"It's very disappointing, and it's a reflection of how terrible a program the men's basketball program is," Holston-Greene said.

last July, Jeff Goodman of ESPN reported the program was being investigated by the NCAA for "possible academic fraud issues." Goodman noted assistant coach Oliver Antigua, the brother of the team's former head coach, resigned amid the probe after being barred from recruiting trips.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
AJ Turner, 6'7" G/F, committed to NW. He was a guy we recruited out of high school. Averaged 8.4 points on 42.4 percent shooting and 37.4 percent on 3-pointers. He also had decent rebounding (3.3) and assist (3.0) numbers.

NW still has room for Brown, and the Chicago Tribune reports he's expected to choose from among Gonzaga, Northwestern and Oregon.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
AJ Turner, 6'7" G/F, committed to NW. He was a guy we recruited out of high school. Averaged 8.4 points on 42.4 percent shooting and 37.4 percent on 3-pointers. He also had decent rebounding (3.3) and assist (3.0) numbers.

NW still has room for Brown, and the Chicago Tribune reports he's expected to choose from among Gonzaga, Northwestern and Oregon.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to not include us in the final group, but it's a Chicago guy, so he probably threw in NW in our place.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

He isn't going to Northwestern.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to not include us in the final group, but it's a Chicago guy, so he probably threw in NW in our place.
I'm somewhat surprised the Turner news got that much in the paper. A pro town's take on college recruiting rarely has the leading edge.

Our connection to Turner left with Mann, but Turner would have been a nice add.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron