Garza declares for the NBA

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I was in Junior High when Lester led them to the Final 4 so Nelson was before my time.

Growing up in eastern Iowa I needed tin foil on the rabbit ears to catch anything Iowa St. But Hoks were plenty.

Lester had Kenny Skywalker on the ropes in the semis until he reinjured the knee. It's pathetic arguing with their inbred followers that don't understand that but they chose to invade our board.

Lester battled Magic and Isaiah and never flinched. Who the hell did one game over .500 Garza duel?

I’m not old enough for don nelson. But my pops was a diehard hawk for 90 years. I have heard stories.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The Joker has outstanding footwork and doesn't throw a zillion elbows in the post when defended.
Agree. He's also an all-star possible MVP candidate level of player. We're talking about Garza simply making a roster. He doesn't have to be Jokic. The comparison was more to point out that there are slow, nonathletic big men already in the NBA.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Agree. He's also an all-star possible MVP candidate level of player. We're talking about Garza simply making a roster. He doesn't have to be Jokic. The comparison was more to point out that there are slow, nonathletic big men already in the NBA.

Not that slow and nonathletic.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I love watching Garza play. He's a good guy and clearly works extremely hard. I've never seen an Iowa player improve so much from one season to the next. I can also be honest that he doesn't have the speed or athleticism necessary for the NBA. I think he could get drafted in the 2nd round but those guys don't usually make an NBA roster. He will have a long career overseas and I'm hopeful he comes back for his senior season with the way this past season ended.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I love watching Garza play. He's a good guy and clearly works extremely hard. I've never seen an Iowa player improve so much from one season to the next. I can also be honest that he doesn't have the speed or athleticism necessary for the NBA. I think he could get drafted in the 2nd round but those guys don't usually make an NBA roster. He will have a long career overseas and I'm hopeful he comes back for his senior season with the way this past season ended.

The past season ending the way it did was a blessing to Iowa, especially Wieskamp

FightForIowa

Apr 9, 2020
Garza declaring for the draft is the best news ISU fans have gotten in the year 2020.

Let that marinate for a while.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I was in Junior High when Lester led them to the Final 4 so Nelson was before my time.

Growing up in eastern Iowa I needed tin foil on the rabbit ears to catch anything Iowa St. But Hoks were plenty.

Lester had Kenny Skywalker on the ropes in the semis until he reinjured the knee. It's pathetic arguing with their inbred followers that don't understand that but they chose to invade our board.

Lester battled Magic and Isaiah and never flinched. Who the hell did one game over .500 Garza duel?

It was Darrell Griffith...Dr Dunkenstein :)

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Speaking from an ISU perspective, the chances are better than they used to be with the 2-way contract being a thing now. Niang, Nader, and Monte were all 2nd round picks that got 2-way deals and are making lots of $ in the NBA now. Horton-Tucker and Shayok seem to be on their path to that as well (THT already making lots of $).

If Garza wants to come back because he loves playing college bball, nothing wrong with that. This is considered a weak draft class; his stock will probably not get higher. I can see a team taking a chance on him in the 2nd round.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Speaking from an ISU perspective, the chances are better than they used to be with the 2-way contract being a thing now. Niang, Nader, and Monte were all 2nd round picks that got 2-way deals and are making lots of $ in the NBA now. Horton-Tucker and Shayok seem to be on their path to that as well (THT already making lots of $).

If Garza wants to come back because he loves playing college bball, nothing wrong with that. This is considered a weak draft class; his stock will probably not get higher. I can see a team taking a chance on him in the 2nd round.
I agree but I think he's on record saying he wants nothing to do with the G League.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Saw comparisons to Lopez and Niang in this thread. Garza is what 6'10? Lopez is over 7'. Niang is more skilled all around than Garza. Not sure if Garza is going to be an NBA player. Maybe if he works on speed and agility he could stick somewhere. Probably going to spend a lot of time in the D-League.

Help Support Us

Become a patron