“Frick” Santa Claus

allin4clones

Jan 7, 2021
Handle Santa however is best for your family. I think it is a giant pain in the ass but the wife and kids love it so I go along. Santa only brings 1 gift per kid in our house and everything else is from mom and dad.

Reactions: wxman1

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I am over 60. So my opinion might not count, but I believe in Santa Clause and all of the things that go with it. There are other things that some say are make believe and are just simple hard core, do good teachings. What is not to like?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I am over 60. So my opinion might not count, but I believe in Santa Clause and all of the things that go with it. There are other things that some say are make believe and are just simple hard core, do good teachings. What is not to like?

My girls are still bought into Elf on the Shelf. Is it stupid yes but they love it so whatever.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and bos

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I feel like we lie to our kids about Santa for no good reason. Why do we need to invent for kids a magical figure who watches their every move all year long and brings them presents on Christmas? Why can’t we as parents just take credit for the gifts we bought? Why not make the Christmas present tradition be about the spirit of giving?
Ah, an Eagles fan?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Interesting to think about, imho. Based on the OP, I searched google, "is santa claus a good idea?" First up was something from the U of Texas. Haven't read it, will after I post:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I like when people get in the debate on if the good gifts should be brought by Santa or not. Like the parents need validation that they spent more money than Santa from their 4 year old. Kids don't know what gifts came from who half a second after they've been told. Plus in the end they will know all of it was the same.

My N64 came from Santa and I never thought 'thank God (or in this case Jesus) Santa brought it because mom and dad are cheap asses.

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
I mean you joke about it, but I’d bet there are plenty of kids who wonder why Santa brought Jimmy so much cool stuff but not them, due to parents not being able to afford it.

Wasn't Jimmy just a better good kid through out the year?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Why do we so much love fiction? Movies and novels? Is not Santa Claus a character in the fictional vein, maybe a valuable trigger for the developing child's imagination?

I don't know. As an adult, I enjoyed the fiction of Dirty Harry as a societal icon that justice must be pursued. (Yeah, yeah, I know, then define justice. . . .)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I mean you joke about it, but I’d bet there are plenty of kids who wonder why Santa brought Jimmy so much cool stuff but not them, due to parents not being able to afford it.

You know damn well the Misfit Toys didn't get dropped off in the ritzy areas.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I like when people get in the debate on if the good gifts should be brought by Santa or not. Like the parents need validation that they spent more money than Santa from their 4 year old. Kids don't know what gifts came from who half a second after they've been told. Plus in the end they will know all of it was the same.

My N64 came from Santa and I never thought 'thank God (or in this case Jesus) Santa brought it because mom and dad are cheap asses.
Have you been around most parents with young kids? Tons of “I need to take care of me to be the best parent I can be” types. Some combination of making sure their kids know they gave them the presents and being worried about some little detail ruining their kids while they spend very little time with them.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I feel like we lie to our kids about Santa for no good reason. Why do we need to invent for kids a magical figure who watches their every move all year long and brings them presents on Christmas? Why can’t we as parents just take credit for the gifts we bought? Why not make the Christmas present tradition be about the spirit of giving?

Taking credit for gifts? You also feel the need to take credit for food, water, a place for the kids to sleep?

Reactions: Ankency

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
One reason why I'm particularly fond of the United States Marine Corps. Toys 4 Tots, dontcha know. Haven't heard about it for some time, hope it is still an active program. Reminds me to put my wallet where my heart is. . . .

simply1, thank you for your post. I've made a note to self, "Self, donate to Toys for Tots."

In this season, here's a reminder that we seek peace for all humankind. A song sung by a Marine World War II vet. (Sorry, I love this kinda stuff.)

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I don’t know if my daughter has ever been more excited then when she woke up and saw Santa and his reindeer ate the cookies and carrots she set out last night. Reason enough for me to believe.
Omg, I could have gone for some carrots last night, cookies gave me indigestion and I was up until 1.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
If you've ever played Santa, and I did for 10 years at a friends house to the same 3 dozen kids, then you'd understand better the pure joy in a child's eyes and their words. Let them believe for a long as possible. The shi* show coming after they learn the truth for the next 70+ years can really blow at times. And for many adults those childhood memories carry them over some serious holiday blues. My 2 cents.