‘22 Public Scrimmage #1

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I can't wait to run more 11 and 21 personal this year. Get guys in space and go make plays.

This offense has another 2/3 geers left of we start to stretch the field. Hutch is a POTY candidate. Noel was the best WR in the field, by far in the Clemson game. Colorado transfer has Trevor Ryan speed with more WR skill. Plus we get a QB with a cannon.

In the end it comes down to can our oline finally elevate the team? Or will they continue to hold us back...

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Why I'm bullish on the 2022 offense:

1) Stronger arm at QB
- Can throw WR's open more easily and more ability to stretch the field
2) Better and healthier WR room
3) 12/13 personal formations used to be an outlier
- Now A LOT of the Big 12 runs that with superior athletes on the field. It lost it's edge from 2017-2019
4) WR separation and strong arm QB allows the ball to come out earlier, making the OL not need to block as long

Why I'm bullish on the 2022 defense:

1) McDonald
2) BIG safeties with ball skills
- Better suited to stop the run and more potential for turnovers on passes

Why I'm nervous for the 2022 season

1) Lost most accurate and winningest QB in school history
2) We all saw how bad the D looked without Mike Rose..
3) No more safety blanket on 3rd down (Kolar)
4) Loss of Mevis
- Kickoffs into the endzone and an elite FG kicker. Adequate enough at punting

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I just don’t think you can blame the OC for a short yardage scheme when your best WR is a TE, you don’t have a good pass protection OL and your QB cannot throw accurately over 25 yards.

TEs should excel in short yardage.
You are missing the big picture of not having a threat to stretch the field. Much easier to defend short yardage when that’s all you have to defend.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That may be what the program says, but after watching him stand next to his teammates I'm highly skeptical Norton is 5'11.
Probably true but Silas is 5’8” at the peak of his vertical leap.

• Haha
Reactions: bozclone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Going 4/5 wide is also how you beat KKKirk and the boys. Going heavy against a team with better players on both lines of scrimmage is not going to win Cy-Hawk

Make LB's cover RB's and slot WR's. Start the game throwing it under their corners and make them tackle. BY the end of the game they start to cheat up in the zone coverage and miss tackles from fatigue. You also have to throw into dangerous windows with velocity. Brock either couldn't make the throw and it was a pick or wouldn't make the throw after already throwing a pick.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If we had such a guy, I'm not sure CMC would allow him to do anything other than fair catch.
According to ESPN, Noel had 15 returns for 92 yards last season for an average of 6.1 yards per return. Zero fair catches. We fielded 17 punts as a team. Milton had 1 return for 11 yards. Darien Porter had 1 return for 8 yards. No fair catches.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I just don’t think you can blame the OC for a short yardage scheme when your best WR is a TE, you don’t have a good pass protection OL and your QB cannot throw accurately over 25 yards.

TEs should excel in short yardage.
They did.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
According to ESPN, Noel had 15 returns for 92 yards last season for an average of 6.1 yards per return. Zero fair catches. We fielded 17 punts as a team. Milton had 1 return for 11 yards. Darien Porter had 1 return for 8 yards. No fair catches.
My comment about Campbell not allowing a run back was meant to be a joke. I would have put the sarcastic emoji next to it if I knew how.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Conditt sighting at the 1:00 mark. Lower right portion of the screen. Deep-down, he is a Cyclone fan, not just a BB player.

Maybe he'll stick around for a 5th year ala Stevie Johnson. George Conditt the super-sized Will McDonald :)

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Probably true but Silas is 5’8” at the peak of his vertical leap.

Why do fans always say stuff like this? 5'8" is really short. It doesn't have to be exaggerated or listed generously.

Also applies to "soaking wet" comments about a guy's weight. Sometimes, a small guy is listed at a small height/weight because it's accurate.

You think he's really 5'5"? 5'6"? That's tiny.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Little off subject, but I’m 99% sure I saw Breece over at Jordan Creek mall in West Des Moines. Knew he was at the spring practice last night.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A lot of freshman that got here in January look ready for big 12 football. Becht and Gaines looked like they had played together for years. Norton was impressive. Not to mention all of the redshirt freshman. The athletes we bring in now are a different caliber.

Will McLaughlin wearing 23 made me miss Mike Rose but after seeing him against the ones I think he will do that number justice.
Stevie Johnson

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Going 4/5 wide is also how you beat KKKirk and the boys. Going heavy against a team with better players on both lines of scrimmage is not going to win Cy-Hawk

Make LB's cover RB's and slot WR's. Start the game throwing it under their corners and make them tackle. BY the end of the game they start to cheat up in the zone coverage and miss tackles from fatigue. You also have to throw into dangerous windows with velocity. Brock either couldn't make the throw and it was a pick or wouldn't make the throw after already throwing a pick.
I only disagreed because, For me, the way to win that game is to win the TO battle. Lots of data to support that.

Reactions: isutrevman

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yep. I believe Iowa has gone 6 straight games without turning the ball over against us. That's insane. Statistically nearly impossible to do that.
I think there has been an INT in there once or twice, but they have been like +3 in turnover margin EVERY GAME over that time. It's ridiculous.

Edit: Looked it up and you were right. Last Iowa TO was an INT in 2015. And it hasn't been as bad for us as I remembered for margin either. But there's been other stupid stuff like the punt return debacle. I don't know if that gets officially scored as a turnover though.

2021, Iowa +4 (4/0)
2020, game canceled
2019, Iowa +2 (2/0)
2018, Iowa +1 (1/0)
2017, Iowa +1 (1/0)
2016, Iowa +1 (1/0)
2015, Even (1/1)

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron