‘22 Public Scrimmage #1

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I also was impressed with freshman running back Cartevious Norton. He's built a little like Silas - short, quick, and strong. We're very deep at running back.

Any chance we see one of those guys returning kicks? I always wished we had a Darren Sproles type weapon in the return game.

Reactions: BigCyFan

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Reading between the lines, the narrative for next season so far is: Iowa State lost everything from last fall. They’re hopelessly young and inexperienced. It’s gonna be a bloodbath. Thankfully, things are back to normal in Ames.

I don’t feel that way at all. We’ve had unprecedented continuity with the coaching staff and they’ve been great about rotating in the backups.

But, yeah- underestimate Iowa State. Fine by me.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We had the best QB in Iowa State history, arguably the best RB in Iowa State history, and one of the best TEs in Iowa State history; and Manning mismanaged the crap out of it. I can’t imagine he’s going to do that much better this season but I sure hope he does.

Man, I don’t agree with this at all. They had some of the best scoring and yardage offenses in ISU history. All three of those players had historic numbers at ISU. They weren’t mismanaged. Where Manning and Campbell have screwed up is not being able to field better than an average OL and not finding a deep threat WR.

I just don’t think you can blame the OC for a short yardage scheme when your best WR is a TE, you don’t have a good pass protection OL and your QB cannot throw accurately over 25 yards.

Blame the OC for OL recruiting and development, but scheme wise, I feel like he got closer to maxing out the talent he had than mismanaged.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Reading between the lines, the narrative for next season so far is: Iowa State lost everything from last fall. They’re hopelessly young and inexperienced. It’s gonna be a bloodbath. Thankfully, things are back to normal in Ames.

I don’t feel that way at all. We’ve had unprecedented continuity with the coaching staff and they’ve been great about rotating in the backups.

You're trying a little too hard to be offended over this IMO. It wasn't that bad.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I don’t know if that’s exactly what comes across but I hope that’s what the players believe did and will he said. ISU football is better when they have a giant chip on their shoulder

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Man, I don’t agree with this at all. They had some of the best scoring and yardage offenses in ISU history. All three of those players had historic numbers at ISU. They weren’t mismanaged. Where Manning and Campbell have screwed up is not being able to field better than an average OL and not finding a deep threat WR.

I just don’t think you can blame the OC for a short yardage scheme when your best WR is a TE, you don’t have a good pass protection OL and your QB cannot throw accurately over 25 yards.

Blame the OC for OL recruiting and development, but scheme wise, I feel like he got closer to maxing out the talent he had than mismanaged.
Agree. We've had some really good offensive talent the past several years. The problem is none of it is on the o-line.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Agree. We've had some really good offensive talent the past several years. The problem is none of it is on the o-line.

Being able to hold a pocket is also critical in being able to throw the ball downfield too which relates to the second point they made. To me it’s all in the line. We need to make a significant jump there to keep progressing in the future.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007

I agree. Plus you can't put last season's record completely on the offense. Losing to Baylor was on special teams..WVU the D disappeared with Rose getting injured. Win those 2 and the discussion about last season is completely different. It's also hardly mentioned that we lost a bowl game with that much talent, but our best player didn't even play against Clemson. I'm thinking Breece might have made a difference in that game.

Reactions: BigCyFan

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The oline certainly needs to get better but Brock's arm strength and not having a second option at receiver was what really made the offense easy to predict IMO.

Reactions: Frak

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

TEs should excel in short yardage.

• Winner
Reactions: clone4life82

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree. Plus you can't put last season's record completely on the offense. Losing to Baylor was on special teams..WVU the D disappeared with Rose getting injured. Win those 2 and the discussion about last season is completely different. It's also hardly mentioned that we lost a bowl game with that much talent, but our best player didn't even play against Clemson. I'm thinking Breece might have made a difference in that game.

Best two players didn't play the bowl game. It was still a microcosm of the season though.

D was also bad vs. Tech.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I also was impressed with freshman running back Cartevious Norton. He's built a little like Silas - short, quick, and strong. We're very deep at running back.

Norton 5’11.. Silas is like 5’8 on a good day.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Manning takes way too much blame.

Yes to the point several have made, most of the time, his offense are in the top half of the league. And I bemoaned we were a little predictable last year, but with Breece freakin Hall, it's a challenge to not be.. he was the best RB in America in 2021.

This is a very telling year for him though because it has clearly been laid out, your players and strengths have changed, you have a new QB with a much stronger arm, how do you adapt now?? Will be fascinating to watch. IF the D is great again and we increase our turnover margin, 8 wins is there.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Norton 5’11.. Silas is like 5’8 on a good day.
That may be what the program says, but after watching him stand next to his teammates I'm highly skeptical Norton is 5'11.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Any chance we see one of those guys returning kicks? I always wished we had a Darren Sproles type weapon in the return game.
If we had such a guy, I'm not sure CMC would allow him to do anything other than fair catch.

• Creative
  • Dumb
Reactions: Aclone and JM4CY

Help Support Us

Become a patron