‘22 Public Scrimmage #1

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think there has been an INT in there once or twice, but they have been like +3 in turnover margin EVERY GAME over that time. It's ridiculous.
Just looked it up. I was almost right. It's been 5 straight games without a turnover. They lost a fumble against us in 2015. We had 9 over that 5 game span, which isn't terrible. Losing 4-0 this past season was a killer.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think there has been an INT in there once or twice, but they have been like +3 in turnover margin EVERY GAME over that time. It's ridiculous.

Edit: Looked it up and you were right. Last Iowa TO was an INT in 2015. And it hasn't been as bad for us as I remembered for margin either. But there's been other stupid stuff like the punt return debacle. I don't know if that gets officially scored as a turnover though.

2021, Iowa +4 (4/0)
2020, game canceled
2019, Iowa +2 (2/0)
2018, Iowa +1 (1/0)
2017, Iowa +1 (1/0)
2016, Iowa +1 (1/0)
2015, Even (1/1)
The maddening thing is in a couple of those games Iowa threw the ball right to the ISU DBs and they flat dropped it. I know in one of those games Iowa scored the winning TD on the next play.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I only disagreed because, For me, the way to win that game is to win the TO battle. Lots of data to support that.
I think you need to win the field position battle and the TO battle. Kirk is pretty much the master of eventually only needing to move the ball 20 yards to score and then bleed out the clock and win 10-7

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Baylor and Oklahoma State feel like a clear top 2 with Bohanon and Sanders returning. Between Oklahoma Texas and Kansas State getting decent QB transfers its tough to say if we have a good chance at 3rd or drop to 6th or lower. Our defense will probably be solid again, but it really falls on whether our OL improves and whether Dekkers is the real deal or not. Cant wait to find out.

Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just looked it up. I was almost right. It's been 5 straight games without a turnover. They lost a fumble against us in 2015. We had 9 over that 5 game span, which isn't terrible. Losing 4-0 this past season was a killer.

Statistically not terrible but the timing and situations of occurrence has been just awful.

That's a trend beyond that game though.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Baylor and Oklahoma State feel like a clear top 2 with Bohanon and Sanders returning. Between Oklahoma Texas and Kansas State getting decent QB transfers its tough to say if we have a good chance at 3rd or drop to 6th or lower. Our defense will probably be solid again, but it really falls on whether our OL improves and whether Dekkers is the real deal or not. Cant wait to find out.
Felt like OU and us were the clear top 2 heading into last season and look what happened. I'm just excited to watch some football without having expectations again. I fell into that trap too easily last fall

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
To beat those guys, you need to take advantage of their tendencies. Offensively, that's making them pay for putting LBs on WRs. Spread them out and make LBs cover. Get your RB in space. Hit Hutchinson between the CB and S in the zone coverage. Defensively, you know what they're going to do. Don't fall for they antiquated scheme and don't bite on play action.

The only other thing is don't make stupid special teams mistakes. We can beat them. The problem is that they don't make mistakes. Ever. Not against us. So don't give the game to them by doing stupid ****.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I think you need to win the field position battle and the TO battle. Kirk is pretty much the master of eventually only needing to move the ball 20 yards to score and then bleed out the clock and win 10-7
So ****** effective and i hate it. Iowa gets ball at 20, drives it 20 yards, punts it to the 10. Other team gets 20 yards to the 30, punts it, Iowa takes over at the 40 and the cycles continues.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So ****** effective and i hate it. Iowa gets ball at 20, drives it 20 yards, punts it to the 10. Other team gets 20 yards to the 30, punts it, Iowa takes over at the 40 and the cycles continues.
Their punter won that game for them, despite all our turnovers. Freaking iowa is unreal. They just sit back and wait for the opponent to screw up and kick a FG to win. Honestly, it's how Campbell wants to win, but he doesn't have the OL or special teams to do it.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Why do fans always say stuff like this? 5'8" is really short. It doesn't have to be exaggerated or listed generously.

Also applies to "soaking wet" comments about a guy's weight. Sometimes, a small guy is listed at a small height/weight because it's accurate.

You think he's really 5'5"? 5'6"? That's tiny.
For reference Breece Hall was listed at 6'-1" for us and measured 5'-11 1/4" at the combine. Our other guys measured true to the roster. I think it's really likely that Silas is 5'-6" just looking at him next to Breece.

Reactions: Aclone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Why? Because we lost Newell & Schweiger?

As usual, I think the line will be disappointingly adequate. Not bad; not great. We’re certainly not lacking size or experience.
I dont like "calling out" guys, but I thought Newell really struggled last year. Not sure if he was dinged or what but i thought he got beat badly quite a bit.

Between that and sort of having 4 guards and no tackles it was kind of a hot mess vs good d-lines.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Offensive line is going to be worrisome imo
I really like the potential of our two tackles. I think Miller could develop into a beast. He used that length really well against Clemson. Hopefully he can maul people in the run game. I think this could be our best OL in a long long time.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Aclone and CYCLNST8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron