Must be nice….

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
There’s an enormous difference in the Big 12 and Big 10 West. Enormous. Stop looking at their performances against each other as some sort of meaningful indication. ISU didn’t take some huge step back and Iowa didn’t make some magical Improvement.

Strength of schedule is the most underrated aspect in college football. It’s not a marginal, 1-2 win type of thing when you are talking about the type of difference Sagarin shows. It shows us essentially what on the field results showed us. There may be little to no overlap between teams in the two leagues/division. We saw last place ISU **** all over itself in that game and beat the best team in the west.

I think people need to understand how drastic the difference is. ISU isn’t beating OSU or Michigan. Every other game is on the table, with a few likely to be WVU type results.
Iowa State is rated right around a lot of the Big Ten West minus Nebraska and Northwestern though.
21 Iowa
29 Minnesota
32 Iowa state
33 Illinois
34 wisconsin
44 Purdue

Like I think a lot of people have said a lot of tossups which Iowa State loses a lot minus Iowa ironically. It's impossible to know but gives us something to talk about

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There’s an enormous difference in the Big 12 and Big 10 West. Enormous. Stop looking at their performances against each other as some sort of meaningful indication. ISU didn’t take some huge step back and Iowa didn’t make some magical Improvement.

Strength of schedule is the most underrated aspect in college football. It’s not a marginal, 1-2 win type of thing when you are talking about the type of difference Sagarin shows. It shows us essentially what on the field results showed us. There may be little to no overlap between teams in the two leagues/division. We saw last place ISU **** all over itself in that game and beat the best team in the west.

I think people need to understand how drastic the difference is. ISU isn’t beating OSU or Michigan. Every other game is on the table, with a few likely to be WVU type results.
I agree with all of this. However, we continually lose games because of what we do, not because of the team on the other side of the ball. I'm not sure this changes if we are in a different conference.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's the point, ISU has had a dismal season and will probably finish in last place after getting hammered by TCU. BUT they beat the mighty Hawks in Iowa City who will probably win the B10 West and then get humiliated on national tv. BTW, this senior class is the only class that can say they beat the Hawkeyes under CMC, which has helped with in-state recruiting this year. Since the series was resumed, how many wins have we had in IC?

Who cares about beating Iowa though? Especially when you leave at least 4 wins on the table against marginal teams with the same issues?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa State is rated right around a lot of the Big Ten West minus Nebraska and Northwestern though.
21 Iowa
29 Minnesota
32 Iowa state
33 Illinois
34 wisconsin
44 Purdue

Like I think a lot of people have said a lot of tossups which Iowa State loses a lot minus Iowa ironically. It's impossible to know but gives us something to talk about
Yep, considering ISU has lost to #31 Texas Tech, #28 Ok. St., and #51 Kansas already too.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
B1G West is obviously bad but aside from Nebby and NW it's not much different from the bottom half of the Big 12.
The B1G West is very bad compared to any other PF conference. The B1G needs to stop divisions. The title game every year is embarrassing. Fans of college football deserve better.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The B1G West is very bad compared to any other PF conference. The B1G needs to stop divisions. The title game every year is embarrassing. Fans of college football deserve better.
Yeah agree and I'm pretty sure once USCLA joins they'll do away with divisions. But like I said, the bottom 5/6 of the Big 12 is pretty similar in quality to the top 5 of the B1G West.

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
Iowa has played clean football the past 3/4 weeks, whatever it is. They’re not a good team and neither are the teams they’re playing, but if you don’t turn it over, don’t have bad penalties and generally don’t beat yourself, you win those games. They’re doing the small things to win games, when the margin for error is so small.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Who cares about beating Iowa though? Especially when you leave at least 4 wins on the table against marginal teams with the same issues?
I have no idea how old you are but yes, I rate a win over Iowa very highly. I was a wee lad in the 50's but I remember the Evasheski and Jerry Burns years and the dominance of Iowa fandom during that era. Then Iowa tanked for many years but still their fans were living the dream similar to what's going on in Nebraska. When Hayden Fry showed up it all changed and I place the arrogant and obnoxious fan syndrome squarely on him. He realized they sucked and he needed to win the in-state recruitment battle and coined the "It's a Hawkeye State" statement after every Cy-Hawk win. And he also made sure to run the score up as much as possible to enhance the statement. He was an A-hole and loved to pander to his fan base. Ferentz is a decent sort and does not gloat when they win but is actually low key. So yes I want to beat Iowa every year and rate it #1 on my list. IF ISU ever wins the B12, I hope they beat Iowa that year because if not, their fans will be unsufferable as usual.

I respect your position but we are blessed with some real ugly Iowa fans in my area.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have no idea how old you are but yes, I rate a win over Iowa very highly. I was a wee lad in the 50's but I remember the Evasheski and Jerry Burns years and the dominance of Iowa fandom during that era. Then Iowa tanked for many years but still their fans were living the dream similar to what's going on in Nebraska. When Hayden Fry showed up it all changed and I place the arrogant and obnoxious fan syndrome squarely on him. He realized they sucked and he needed to win the in-state recruitment battle and coined the "It's a Hawkeye State" statement after every Cy-Hawk win. And he also made sure to run the score up as much as possible to enhance the statement. He was an A-hole and loved to pander to his fan base. Ferentz is a decent sort and does not gloat when they win but is actually low key. So yes I want to beat Iowa every year and rate it #1 on my list. IF ISU ever wins the B12, I hope they beat Iowa that year because if not, their fans will be unsufferable as usual.

I respect your position but we are blessed with some real ugly Iowa fans in my area.

I grew up in the 80s/90s while Haydenism was full bore in eastern Iowa.

Beating Iowa was cute for a few years but I would never hardly acknowledge it as anything important or season fulfilling.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think Iowa state would have between 2-3 more wins (assuming you just swapped their conference schedule with Iowa). I think they’d beat Rutgers and northwestern, and probably one of Purdue or Minnesota. I think they would lose to Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, and Wisconsin

I think ISU can beat any team Iowa can beat. I mean, they won at Iowa. You have to be pretty ****** to lose to Iowa.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Although Iowa has a very good defense this is a function of the terrible quarterback play in the Big 10. Mertz at Wisconsin, Morgan and Kaliakmanis at Minnesota, NW and Rutger’s QBs, none would sniff the field for any team in the Big 12. Casey Thompson left Texas because he had no chance of beating out Ewers. He wouldn’t start in the Big 12 either. This is a big reason why Big 10 football is so hard to watch.
Isn't a big10 west washout QB now doing pretty well as a Big12 starter of a top15 ranked team?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Isn't a big10 west washout QB now doing pretty well as a Big12 starter of a top15 ranked team?

Or he played on a really bad Big 10 team, was tired of it, and wanted to play for a good team?

Man on man, if Iowa squeaks by the mighty Huskers, they are going to lose by 40-50 pts in Indianapolis. Should be ugly. Probably won't even watch.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
what's the all time record for dislike/disagree/dumb reactions on a post
LOL, I'm sure I am close (and thank you for your contribution).

I still stand by it. I don't see how our offense could outscore the likes of Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue or Wisconsin right now, and I see no way we have more than 4 or 5 wins at this point if we played Iowa's schedule.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I didn't realize this until someone posted it online. There were NO PENALTIES in the Iowa-Minny game last Saturday. Claimed it was the first game since 1968 with no penalties.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-23 153553.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-23 153553.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 4

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
Or he played on a really bad Big 10 team, was tired of it, and wanted to play for a good team?

Man on man, if Iowa squeaks by the mighty Huskers, they are going to lose by 40-50 pts in Indianapolis. Should be ugly. Probably won't even watch.
I know I’ll have better things to do than watch a squakeye game