Must be nice….

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’m only saying the BT West is drastically different than the Big 12. The East is good.

But I don’t think ISUs fortunes would be much different even if they were in the west this year. I’d expect some 6-3 games.
Agree. B1G West is usually bad compared to the East but this season it's historically bad. Comparing the division against the Big 12, it doesn't have an upper echelon that the Big 12 has.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
BYU and Cincy are usually very solid too.
I think schools like BYU, Cincy, and to a lesser extend Houston are going to look real rough when they have to play a full season in a P5 conference. Easy to look good in any sport when you are playing no one. Much harder to all of a sudden jump to one of the best if not the best basketball conference.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I have no idea how old you are but yes, I rate a win over Iowa very highly. I was a wee lad in the 50's but I remember the Evasheski and Jerry Burns years and the dominance of Iowa fandom during that era. Then Iowa tanked for many years but still their fans were living the dream similar to what's going on in Nebraska. When Hayden Fry showed up it all changed and I place the arrogant and obnoxious fan syndrome squarely on him. He realized they sucked and he needed to win the in-state recruitment battle and coined the "It's a Hawkeye State" statement after every Cy-Hawk win. And he also made sure to run the score up as much as possible to enhance the statement. He was an A-hole and loved to pander to his fan base. Ferentz is a decent sort and does not gloat when they win but is actually low key. So yes I want to beat Iowa every year and rate it #1 on my list. IF ISU ever wins the B12, I hope they beat Iowa that year because if not, their fans will be unsufferable as usual.

I respect your position but we are blessed with some real ugly Iowa fans in my area.
I wonder how long Earle Bruce will hold the record for the largest win margin over the Hawkeyes.

I remember how utterly disgruntled Hawkeye fans and Fry himself were when they couldn’t defeat Donnie Duncan with the remnants of Bruce’s program.

Then good old Jim Criner showed up to be absolutely massacred every single year by Fry. Those games were over by the 2nd quarter.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agree. B1G West is usually bad compared to the East but this season it's historically bad. Comparing the division against the Big 12, it doesn't have an upper echelon that the Big 12 has.
Typically Wisconsin or Iowa are better at the top than this year, and they usually NW can be counted on to be much better. That and the bottom of the East is better than usual this year.

If they decided to stick with divisions I would think the Big 10 could shift Purdue to the East and add USC and UCLA to the west. It doesn’t exactly even things out but it would sure help.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Spot on agree with this. Michigan and OSU are losses for sure everyone else is up for debate. Now ISU hasn’t faired well this year in those close games but I could see some extra wins potentially if you got the big ten west schedule.
The QB play in the west is atrocious. That really helps Iowa's defense. The Big 12 has much better QBs, I think the ISU defense would get turnovers against those QBs too. We gave the ball to Iowa 5 times, and our defense was still good enough to win the game. Having 3 turnovers (two of the five were blocked punts), limited the amount of yards and opportunities for us, but despite that we still had 313 yards to their 150. Iowa was one of the games where we had some success running the ball. I think we would win the west for sure, especially if Brock and Norton are healthy all year. We would match up great with Purdue since they resemble a Big 12 offense the most. I also think our run defense is better than Iowa's, no way we would let Minnesota run for 329 yards on the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think schools like BYU, Cincy, and to a lesser extend Houston are going to look real rough when they have to play a full season in a P5 conference. Easy to look good in any sport when you are playing no one. Much harder to all of a sudden jump to one of the best if not the best basketball conference.
I focus more on football so thinking of FB, people said this about Louisville, TCU, Utah and some others. Big ten people say this because they generally pick up horse crap teams for their conference. Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska were all poor to washed up teams when the big ten took them. Penn state was the last team they took that had a pulse and they did fine when they joined.

UCLA is like a Nebraska now. USC may help though.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Iowa and Iowa State are incredibly similar in terms of talent level and scheme. The difference is Iowa actually acknowledges that special teams exist and know they have to be really good there to win. They do all the little things right (catching punts, sound tackling, emphasize recruiting punters/kickers) and that's the difference between Iowa winning 8 games and Iowa State winning 4.

I think Iowa would have more success in either league because they never beat themselves, we're not seeing the same at Iowa State right now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It’ll be interesting to see Texas and OU as well. SEC always has a few elite teams but never deep all the way through like Big Ten has been.
Iowa and Iowa State are incredibly similar in terms of talent level and scheme. The difference is Iowa actually acknowledges that special teams exist and know they have to be really good there to win. They do all the little things right (catching punts, sound tackling, emphasize recruiting punters/kickers) and that's the difference between Iowa winning 8 games and Iowa State winning 4.

I think Iowa would have more success in either league because they never beat themselves, we're not seeing the same at Iowa State right now.

It’s that and schedule.

Our schedule isn’t as brutal as some years, but all big ten west schedules have easy win opportunities this year especially.

After ISU beat Iowa on the road, it’s silly to think we’d get just one win against that entire division. Does anybody truly think we’d go 0-6 against the rest of that division after going 1-0 against its best team?

I’m as frustrated as anybody but come on guys. If we played like we did against Texas we’d have beaten Iowa by double digits and any other b10w team pretty easily.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

It will be tough for them in the B12. If they joined the B10, Houston would be the best program in that conference from day one.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Yeah agree and I'm pretty sure once USCLA joins they'll do away with divisions. But like I said, the bottom 5/6 of the Big 12 is pretty similar in quality to the top 5 of the B1G West.

I don’t know if ISU’s record would be better if playing the Big 10 West, but I will say the Big 10 West offenses are so one dimensional. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois can’t throw the ball. At all. I think ISU’s d can stop them. The Big 12 at least has competent offensive play and ISU has been able to shut them down. Iowa does have a great D but if you are only facing one dimensional offenses the d better look damn good.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Chad has an interesting article in the Des Moines tag this morning that lists all of the Hok players they are losing to graduation (with those terrific degrees in creative writing). Their defense will be a dumpster fire next year along with their usual anemic offense. DeJean the Punk and Nwankpa won’t be able to carry this team.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Chad has an interesting article in the Des Moines tag this morning that lists all of the Hok players they are losing to graduation (with those terrific degrees in creative writing). Their defense will be a dumpster fire next year along with their usual anemic offense. DeJean the Punk and Nwankpa won’t be able to carry this team.
Iowa’s defense is going to be good again next year. You’ve been calling for the downfall of anything Iowa every year and it still hasn’t happened.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron