Big 12 Conference Realignment

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Yikes. That seems like a lot of $ (Maybe in context of athletics budgets it isn't, but I'm not expert in that area).

How much will they actually touch football and MBB? If there are 21 other sports. Or does it have to be "balanced" somehow?
Not at all, the non revenue sports are going to be slashed dramatically unless some donors step up. Also how do you misbudget that badly?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Like someone mentioned on the other thread. Probably partially because they believed overly optimistic income projections (lies?) from PAC12 media deals and their incredibly inept commissioner(s).

At least part of it could be, anyway.
Yes, I think this is part of it for sure. Several of those schools believed they were going to get a lot more. This includes the last few years as well, the PAC handled the last few years terribly and lost more than any during the covid year/s. The lost money on the PAC Net, and then have to pay back the overage to the media partners. So they have had a disaster when it comes to money and budgets.

And as someone mentioned some of them have a lot of non rev sports that most have gotten rid of.

Just more terrible mismanagement in the PAC.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Interesting details within the article. Robbins apparently laments a merit based system for instate students where tuition is frozen at a static point for their 4 year term.

Never thought we’d see the pendulum swing when a public university president openly says that regular students don’t generate enough revenue. Especially in a system that doesn’t even pay its revenue generating athletes for their name, image, and likeness.

Even if the PAC projections for media were double (!!!) what Big 12 payout actually is, that’s only about $40M per year on top of the deal that was on the table. Annual athletics budget is $100M there. Would love to know everything in between for that $240M shortfall.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
$240 million "goes missing." That has to be fraud or the accounting firm that was doing the books better lawyer up.
Is it being reported that $240M went missing? I didn't think that was the case.

I haven't seen what the 240 M actually relates to, is this a 5 year buildup of revenues < expenses? Is this a projected shortfall over the next 5 years? Need some context around the headline grabber.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Is it being reported that $240M went missing? I didn't think that was the case.

I haven't seen what the 240 M actually relates to, is this a 5 year buildup of revenues < expenses? Is this a projected shortfall over the next 5 years? Need some context around the headline grabber.
Agreed, it didn't sound like financial theft or accounting irregularities.

Sounded like the university is saddled with state based academic scholarships and tuition freezes that limit revenue. My guess is this is heightened by high inflation over the last 3 years.

I would expect this will become a common issue among universities over the next few years. The easy federal money and state subsidies is drying up

From an athletics standpoint, dropping a handful of Olympic sports and Big12 TV money should help.

The Wildcats also have very good football and hoops coaches. Hopefully, they can leverage increased revenue from those 2 sports

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Agreed, it didn't sound like financial theft or accounting irregularities.

Sounded like the university is saddled with state based academic scholarships and tuition freezes that limit revenue. My guess is this is heightened by high inflation over the last 3 years.

I would expect this will become a common issue among universities over the next few years. The easy federal money and state subsidies is drying up

From an athletics standpoint, dropping a handful of Olympic sports and Big12 TV money should help.

The Wildcats also have very good football and hoops coaches. Hopefully, they can leverage increased revenue from those 2 sports
Higher discount rates probably have a role in this, too.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
What is it with the Pac-12 teams and not being able to balance a budget? Yeeeeesh.

Turns out the only thing that's less attended than a Pac 12 football game are the budget meetings. Those beaches though...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting details within the article. Robbins apparently laments a merit based system for instate students where tuition is frozen at a static point for their 4 year term.

Never thought we’d see the pendulum swing when a public university president openly says that regular students don’t generate enough revenue. Especially in a system that doesn’t even pay its revenue generating athletes for their name, image, and likeness.

Even if the PAC projections for media were double (!!!) what Big 12 payout actually is, that’s only about $40M per year on top of the deal that was on the table. Annual athletics budget is $100M there. Would love to know everything in between for that $240M shortfall.
Meanwhile he's making $900k/year base salary, along with $500k in potential bonuses, a free mansion, free cars, and UA has around 24 non-teaching SVPs/VPs/AVPs each of whom is making hundreds of thousands a year in salary.

So these are the geniuses that led the university into this mess, and yet all we hear is how schools MUST pay up for administrators in order to get the best and brightest. Lol.

Then we wonder why a four-year public university education continues to spiral wildly out of reach.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
$240 million "goes missing." That has to be fraud or the accounting firm that was doing the books better lawyer up.

I doubt most of it didnt go missing, it was probably apprioated in the wrong places.

If they cant account for 240 mil someone is a ******* or the whole school is cooking the books.

This aint 20 bucks.

Probably were promised some amount of money from the Pac 12 and that never happened.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Meanwhile he's making $900k/year base salary, along with $500k in potential bonuses, a free mansion, free cars, and UA has around 24 non-teaching SVPs/VPs/AVPs each of whom is making hundreds of thousands a year in salary.

So these are the geniuses that led the university into this mess, and yet all we hear is how schools MUST pay up for administrators in order to get the best and brightest. Lol.

Then we wonder why a four-year public university education continues to spiral wildly out of reach.

And the bottom is about to fall out.